High Angle Tracks - Formerly Low Angle Tracks

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Howie wrote: I am confused?
Well, they only had a few possible examples from the Mir and laboratory experiments to go on when constructing the tutorial. And I guess they showed the most obvious ones. Hence, "Expect the unexpected"!

As long as you keep aware of all the many unusual appearances and other pitfalls discussed in these forums, I reckon you should click on whatever seems of likely interest, and with any luck they'll get round to sorting it all out in the end (which is most likely going to be many months/years away - there's only 6 of them after all).

Despair not - this is science! And fun - no one else on this planet is seeing the things we are! :)
the moon

Re: Thanks for the info !!!

Post by the moon »

Howie wrote:These shorter track have a path and something at the end like a blob but the tutorial looks like a fragment sitting above the surface at the end of path, or are the possible particles along the path?
The fragment in the tutorial looks like it is under the surface, and it is. The dark spots along the track are probably burn marks or bubbles in the gel made by the heat created in the impact.
The shorter tracks that people post here are pretty much the same as that one in the tutorial, except they are caused by much smaller particles, and usually the impact speed wasn't as high, so there's no garbage along the track.
As far as the particles looking like blobs, with the poor lighting and poor resolution/compression of these images, everything looks like a blob. The tutorial image had better lighting, and the file size is about twice that of the normal images.

Ok but I really came here to post a low-angle track I just found.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =9987464V1
Less then 10% of viewers marked it, too bad.
Howie

Ok!!!

Post by Howie »

Hi There,

I have seen some of these smaller large track situations jn many movies, but noticed, that, there are quite a few of these types in the CM's where there is no track???

So, I am not sure as of today what a low speed short, small large track type really is???

Howie
the moon

Post by the moon »

Don't know what to tell you man. Look at all the examples in this topic again. Almost all of them show tracks caused by something entering the gel. The CMs do not have any tracks like these. But I understand why it can be confusing. Each of these tracks looks different since they're caused by all sorts of different things, (interplanetary dust, micro-meteors, debri off the spacecraft, microscopic alien ships) entering at different angles and different speeds. Where as the stardust tracks all look the same since they are about the same size, same angle, same speed.
tiggertim

Post by tiggertim »

The Moon reported....
Ok but I really came here to post a low-angle track I just found.
Well spotted track.
It does seem that these types of tracks are being under reported. I have noted a few of these track myself. I 'm not sure if there may need to be a review of, as well as having a few CMs of this type of track, time will tell.

Cheers.

Tim
There is more to life that just the world we live on
DiamondGirl

Post by DiamondGirl »

the moon wrote:Ok but I really came here to post a low-angle track I just found.
Yep - this one's in my event list too, Moon. :)
fjgiie
DustMod

the moon track

Post by fjgiie »

Hey t'moon,

I clicked on your track today. 9987464V1
Very interesting, it is on the surface and also down at bottom focus. (or I would not have noticed it)

The distance across the surface seems to be 137µm. (direct measurement)
The distance down seems to be 75µm. (from focus bars)
Therefore the travel distance seems to be 156µm. (from Pythagoras)
So it enters at an angle of slightly less than 30 degrees from the surface which is not that low of an angle. (75/150 = sine 30 degrees)

What I do wonder is what is that at the end of the track? It's too large to be stardust so maybe a door off the Stardust spacecraft ? Just a shadow ?
xxxxxy

Post by xxxxxy »

That`s not a track. That is a typical crack.
greuti

Post by greuti »

xxxxxy wrote:That`s not a track. That is a typical crack.
If you talk about id=9987464V1 - That is sure a track with the particle at the end! The run of the focus is characteristic of a low angle track.

Edit: The track passes underneath this dust particle on the surface and ranges "twice as long".
tiggertim

Post by tiggertim »

xxxxxy wrote:
That`s not a track. That is a typical crack.

If you talk about id=9987464V1 - That is sure a track with the particle at the end! The run of the focus is characteristic of a low angle track.

Edit: The track passes underneath this dust particle on the surface and ranges "twice as long".
This clearly is another low angle track, it is much the same as other low angle tracks I have reported. Focus rages along its lenght, and there is a partical that just comes into focus at the bottom. It is NOT a crack.

Well spotted. Keep it up.

Tim.
There is more to life that just the world we live on
eshafto

low angle, small mass, high speed?

Post by eshafto »

This looks to me for all the world like a low-angled track, with shock waves (or perhaps tearing or shearing) in two places -- where the particle entered and where it was stopped. In any event I haven't seen anything quite like it either on my own or posted in the forums.

If it is a particle, it didn't blaze a big track, so it either wasn't going fast, or wasn't very massive. I'm hoping for the latter of course.

So far only 19 people have viewed it, and three have flagged it. What do you all think?

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =6979778V1
the moon

Post by the moon »

Very very strange looking, but not a track. The "shock waves" are going the wrong way. The particle would have entered heading down and left, you can tell from the depths that various parts come into focus, but the shock waves point up and right. There is also a similiar feature off the edge in the top right of the movie, which would indicate the origin is not from a single object entering the gel. Don't ask me what did cause it though, I have no idea.
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: low angle, small mass, high speed?

Post by DustBuster »

eshafto wrote: So far only 19 people have viewed it, and three have flagged it. What do you all think?

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =6979778V1
Those resemble the 'chevrons' similar to tutorial #5 that are the result of a scratch, only much larger.
greuti

Post by greuti »

jsmaje wrote:
pastaboy wrote:I'm cross posting this one as it's definately my favourite and looks like something low angle

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... d=281240V1

as someone pointed out it's probably too big to be dust but it stilll looks cool
...It would be really nice to know what was in the FOVs above it...
Just caught it: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =7635058V1

Could it be a small shiver that spun (rotated fast) during entering in the aerogel? Maybe caused by fragmenting of a particle bounding at the spacecraft.

Edit: Here a stitched GIF of the two. Looks VM like, but in fact there're only two focus levels which fade into each other. It was not possible to start at the surface focus.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Well done greuti!