2 or more apparent tracks on same movie?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

gcarlsen

Multiple observations?

Post by gcarlsen »

Will the microscope load the next image as soon as a track is selected, as the test version microscope did? Sometimes more than one action may be needed on an image.

What if there is more than one track on an image?

What if there is a track on an image that needs to be classified as having a "focus range" problem?

An image evaluation should be able to accept more than one input, and be "held" until the searcher is satisfied with their evaluation of the image.

Thanks,
George
DustTrailFinder

Re: Multiple observations?

Post by DustTrailFinder »

gcarlsen wrote:Will the microscope load the next image as soon as a track is selected, as the test version microscope did? Sometimes more than one action may be needed on an image.

What if there is a track on an image that needs to be classified as having a "focus range" problem?

An image evaluation should be able to accept more than one input, and be "held" until the searcher is satisfied with their evaluation of the image.

Thanks,
George
All excellent points and I hope one of our mods will answer them.

Also, if it's not possible for multiple inputs, then we should be able to make comments about a movie and have available a reference to identify it. I notice that each frame has an identity at the bottom within a black area, but I don't know if that is a unique id, nor can the bottom portion of the id be seen. Also, the frame number and coordinates of the mouse pointer over the image is shown on a bar at the bottom of the window. The movie id may be referenced there also?
mattp
Site Admin

Post by mattp »

gcarlsen wrote:Will the microscope load the next image as soon as a track is selected, as the test version microscope did? Sometimes more than one action may be needed on an image.
At the moment it loads the next images as soon as a track is selected only on Mozilla browsers due to a Mozilla/javascript bug. Any other browser will pop up a message saying 'Click OK if you meant to say that there is a particle track at this location'. You can click OK if you're sure or cancel if you're not.

This is extremely unlikely, however if it does happen then you just click on one track.

On the live Virtual Microscope there is a 'Can't Focus' button to click when an image can't be focused.
The training session mentions that here -
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_number=8
and here -
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_number=9

This is not possible at the moment. There is one of three choices, either a track, no track or bad focus.
Matt

Stardust@home useful links: |Forum rules|Technical FAQ|
mattp
Site Admin

Post by mattp »

DustTrailFinder wrote:All excellent points and I hope one of our mods will answer them.

Also, if it's not possible for multiple inputs, then we should be able to make comments about a movie and have available a reference to identify it. I notice that each frame has an identity at the bottom within a black area, but I don't know if that is a unique id, nor can the bottom portion of the id be seen. Also, the frame number and coordinates of the mouse pointer over the image is shown on a bar at the bottom of the window. The movie id may be referenced there also?
We're working on a 'My Events' page for each volunteer that will list all the movies they've clicked on.
Matt

gcarlsen

Post by gcarlsen »

On the live Virtual Microscope there is a 'Can't Focus' button to click when an image can't be focused.
and here -
So a "Bad Focus" is a higher priority than a particle track, right?
DustTrailFinder

Post by DustTrailFinder »

mattp wrote:We're working on a 'My Events' page for each volunteer that will list all the movies they've clicked on.
Thanks Matt!

Could you also comment on the information available to us at the bottom of the window? I think it would be important to know if there will exist a unique way to identify a movie, a frame, and a point that we might believe something of interest is located besides a more prominent trail.

I can understand that you may not want to comment on that, since we might be able to determine test movies from actual movies, but I think it's more important that those of us who really want to find the real trails know truthfully how to inform you about them.

Not being the scientist or expert that you are, I think it's entirely possible that a movie might contain more than one trail. I know that most of you were surprised at the amount of comet particles collected on the other side of the collector, so I would think that you should plan for the unexpected and let us know how to deal with it, please.
mattp
Site Admin

Post by mattp »

gcarlsen wrote:
and here -
So a "Bad Focus" is a higher priority than a particle track, right?
Sorry, I misread your original question. If there's bad focus but you can still see a track then click on the track! :)
Matt

mattp
Site Admin

Post by mattp »

DustTrailFinder wrote:Thanks Matt!

Could you also comment on the information available to us at the bottom of the window? I think it would be important to know if there will exist a unique way to identify a movie, a frame, and a point that we might believe something of interest is located besides a more prominent trail.
That is just a time stamp from when those movies were created. It doesn't help to identify the movie and the real movies won't have it.
Not being the scientist or expert that you are, I think it's entirely possible that a movie might contain more than one trail. I know that most of you were surprised at the amount of comet particles collected on the other side of the collector, so I would think that you should plan for the unexpected and let us know how to deal with it, please.
As I stated above, we think this is highly unlikely. If it does happen then just click on one of the tracks.
Matt

gcarlsen

Post by gcarlsen »

This is extremely unlikely, however if it does happen then you just click on one track.

Ifthere is more than one track will the first person to select one track get naming rights to all particles in the image?
Sundevil

Post by Sundevil »

The only thing I could come up with on how there could be two tracks, is if the aerogel broke apart a larger particle into 2 or more smaller particles.

Will there be a list of names of the users who have checked this movies already? I think that would be a good way of doing it. You can see that you are the first person or fourth person by the number of names in the list. It would be like making a blank post in the forums here when we hit the button saying there was or wasn't a particle.
gcarlsen

Formay correction for: "More than one track"

Post by gcarlsen »

Sundevil wrote:The only thing I could come up with on how there could be two tracks, is if the aerogel broke apart a larger particle into 2 or more smaller particles.
For any one particle hitting the collector, the odds that it will hit the exact same spot that another particle hit are the same as for it hitting any spot on the collector.
Sundevil wrote:Will there be a list of names of the users who have checked this movies already? I think that would be a good way of doing it. You can see that you are the first person or fourth person by the number of names in the list. It would be like making a blank post in the forums here when we hit the button saying there was or wasn't a particle.
Any information on the movie available to a user could/would have an impact on the observations of later scanners.
99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

Post by 011 »

If there was the worry of the history of a tile affecting the judgement of later testers.. couldn't you simply make it so the history is shown after the person has finished with the tile?
JStevens

More than one track in the same movie?

Post by JStevens »

Is there any way to identify more than one track in the same movie?
seahunter

Post by seahunter »

I thought i found 6 faint trails in one frame but so far 5 other have looked at the frame and did not see anything. that would suck to lose science and personal credit if other were just in a hurry.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=42028
JStevens

Post by JStevens »

Yeah, I see those six as well. I counted four on this one.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=43213