Who gets "new" movies?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DiamondGirl

Who gets "new" movies?

Post by DiamondGirl »

I was just wondering - what drives which people will get movies that have not been viewed previously? Is it random, or does being ahead in the number of movies viewed give you a better shot at looking at selections not previously viewed by anyone else?
SeaJewel

Post by SeaJewel »

I was about to ask the same question, every movie in 'My Events' was seen at least 30 times before, how can I find sth if I'm never one of the first people to see the movie? I can only verify what other ppl found :/
mwhiz

Post by mwhiz »

i'm pretty sure its random... or as random as it can be. search more and the odds are higher :P
"The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Diamond, one and the same. If it is random, then the more you do the more likely to see one before someone else.
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
star~shaped

Post by star~shaped »

Anybody else feel like they keep getting the same films over and over again? And I don't mean the calibration ones.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

It's random.
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
Protostar

Post by Protostar »

I agree that it maybe random, but it slows me down because after every "real movie" I''m checking my account to see if I'm the first viewer. . . :?
Wishes, lies, and dreams all spring from the same well. Knowing when to drink requires only a little common sense.
mwhiz

Post by mwhiz »

Protostar wrote:Iit slows me down because after every "real movie" I''m checking my account to see if I'm the first viewer. . . :?
are you clicking on EVERY movie?? or you just check the ones you click?
"The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
icebike

Post by icebike »

SeaJewel wrote:I was about to ask the same question, every movie in 'My Events' was seen at least 30 times before, how can I find sth if I'm never one of the first people to see the movie? I can only verify what other ppl found :/
Well you have to realize that the viewing software is designed to send newly flagged tracks to many other viewers (up to 100 was the original plan) so that many sets of eyes would judge anything flagged as a track.

So One discovery, can cause that movie to get sent to a hundred viewers or more.

Therefore, its not unusual that many have seen a movie before you.
When the system first went live, my first few flaggings had ZERO other viewers. By the next day those same movies had 30 and 40 Viewings.

So the system is working as it was designed.

Just remember, every movie is new to you, except the calibration movies. I think I've seen all of them twice by now. I'm starting to give them names.
Last edited by icebike on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Protostar wrote:I agree that it maybe random, but it slows me down because after every "real movie" I''m checking my account to see if I'm the first viewer. . . :?
There is no "maybe" about it. It is random (I'm on the Stardust@home Team).

Only the "real" movies that you click on will show up in your "My Events" list. So you only need to look when you click on something. Unless you are clicking on every real movie, which you probably shouldn't be doing.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
icebike

Post by icebike »

bmendez wrote: There is no "maybe" about it. It is random (I'm on the Stardust@home Team).
-Bryan
So Bryan...
When this first started there were two machines, now there appear to be five.
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?sit ... du&probe=1

Question: What are the Unknows? Macs?

And that Window machine... Scary. So much data at risk.... :twisted:
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

bmendez wrote:There is no "maybe" about it. It is random (I'm on the Stardust@home Team).

-Bryan
Given that you started with a certain set of movies (say 12x6000) a week ago and you finish one set of 6000 more movies today, there is a chance of 1/12 to get a new movie. Is this correct?

How often do you need a move to be seen until you get the degree of confidence about presence/absence of particle tracks required for the project to be successful?
meckano

Random? don't think so

Post by meckano »

I seem to be progressing.
I started with one camera spec: top right side
then a second: bottom center
now a third, top right corner

;)

ps: if focus starts in bottom quarter, i choose bad focus; some of those trails start deep, as seen in the 'check' movies.

100%
97% ... edit 98% :D ... edit2 99% :D :D
Last edited by meckano on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KarMann

Post by KarMann »

icebike wrote:So Bryan...
When this first started there were two machines, now there appear to be five.
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?sit ... du&probe=1

Question: What are the Unknows? Macs?

And that Window machine... Scary. So much data at risk.... :twisted:
In the webserver info there, Darwin refers to Macs, so yes. But I think you misunderstand the different results there. That's completely chronological information, meaning that on 1-16, it was a Mac running Apache/1.3.33 (Darwin) PHP/4.3.11, then sometime before 6-6, PHP was upgraded to 4.4.1, on 8-2 they switched in a Windows 2000/IIS server for (at least) a day, etc. It doesn't mean all those machines are still there.
And because, when a hostname resolves to multiple IP addresses so more machines can share the load, Netcraft only picks one of them to test, probably at random (maybe the first one returned in the DNS records?), they might still be running those Macs & W2K machines alongside the most recent Linux/Apache listing, and we'd never know it from Netcraft.

Now, I happen to have a few other tools in my networking utility belt....
Looks like they're probably not doing the "round robining" anymore, or whatever other method of load sharing they were performing, or else they've gotten more subtle about it. So now, it seems to be just one server, probably running Apache on a Linux >= 2.6.11 system (they seem to have taken the option to obfuscate the Apache version information).
Let it never be said that your **** retentive attention to detail never yielded positive results. - Loki, Dogma
Kalman

Post by Kalman »

icebike wrote:
Well you have to realize that the viewing software is designed to send newly flagged tracks to many other viewers (up to 100 was the original plan) so that many sets of eyes would judge anything flagged as a track.

So One discovery, can cause that movie to get sent to a hundred viewers or more.
In addition, I think that only a fragment of the whole 1.6 million movies has been released yet, because we have 5 digit id's in the event viewer and it obviously returns the same movie for everyone. So I guess there is only ~50000 movies has been released so far. I estimate cca. 1 million viewing from the start so 1M/50000 = 20 viewings per movie in average. It looks to be realistic. The good thing in it that there are lots of particles wait for finding yet and they hadn't been "fished out" on the first week.
--Kalman