SAY "HI" TO THE COMMUNITY

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

yvandube

Hello from Québec Canada

Post by yvandube »

Hello everyone, I am also very thrilled about searching and finding tracks from outerspace.

I really enjoy the vastness of our universe. It make me in a state of expansion.

I also like to meditate, which is the opposite (inside) look.

I am glad to participate with this great adventure.

May we all have fun and discover our inner and outer universe.

Yvan
McAngus

Ave

Post by McAngus »

McAngus omnes salutat: HI!
Italicus sum, in Panormo, in insula Sicilia, vitam meam ago.
Me trado otiis, negotia demisi.':wink:'
Valete.
Ingemar

Post by Ingemar »

hi, i am Ingemar and i find you with google.

hope i will enjoy my stay here ;)

best regards
bacchus

hello

Post by bacchus »

Hello and good day everybody. I hope the day is treating you well. I enjoy doing this but just don't understand how people get fifty thousand points. That is pretty high.
B
WorWizard

Re: hello

Post by WorWizard »

bacchus wrote:Hello and good day everybody. I hope the day is treating you well. I enjoy doing this but just don't understand how people get fifty thousand points. That is pretty high.
B
A LOT of time and A LOT of effort. It's very addictive at times

WW
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Actually, I think we are going to offer WorWizard and some others the opportunity to host support groups to break their addictions when the project is over! :lol:
From dust we come
WorWizard

Post by WorWizard »

Nikita wrote:Actually, I think we are going to offer WorWizard and some others the opportunity to host support groups to break their addictions when the project is over! :lol:
Humm. I don't think that's a good idea. I'm still debating the "Bad Focus" button in another forum.

Sreiously though. That could be fun to do

Me
engineer09

Post by engineer09 »

I'm so glad I found this project after reading about it in Sky! I look forward to the community approach to interstellar dust research. And greetings!
mihai

Post by mihai »

I've heard about this project, somewhere in the spring of 2006, on the BBC website, registered my email address and all...

So, just by curiosity, I've returned to the website, I looked the tutorial and tried the test, and it was a 10 out of 10 from the first trial....

From my tree "sessions" of dusting, I discovered that this is an very addictive experience, you just hope that the next one will be the "real thing" and your heart jumps miles when you see a track, and you get sad :( , when you discover that it is only a calibration movie...
WorWizard

Welcome to my Son!!

Post by WorWizard »

I would just like to welcome my son. Joshua Robert Goodrich. Age 5 Who joined today. His stats are as follows

Calibration Movies Answered Correctly 11
Calibration Movies Answered Incorrectly 0
Your Overall Score: 11
Total Real Movies Viewed: 32
Your Rank: 13978 out of 20388
Specificity: 100%
Sensitivity: 100%

Not only that but he passed the test at 100% (granted he watched me for the past few months.

So. Welcome Joshua. I love you with all of my heart and soul. I hope you have fun doing this. I will read any e-mail to you. Baby, what will you name it if you find one for real?

Have a good day at school.

Da-da

(WorWizard)
babymagoon

Saying HI! (And more)

Post by babymagoon »

Hi everybody.

Im 20 and I study astrophysics at the Science University in Uruguay
(The small country placed in the corner of South America, between Argentina and Brazil).

I must say Im a bit shocked with all this staff.
Some hours ago I was looking for news at the nasa home page, and I ended on something strange called Stardust home that I hadn´t seen before...there they asked for help to found particles coming from the space!
Well, I couldn´t believe my eyes...I made the test inmediately and passed it, and Ive spent the last hours sitting by the computer searching for dust. I stopped studying Linear Algebra and I didn´t have anything to eat...I think I´ll also find it difficult to sleep.

I mean...I knew about the existence of investigations like this, but now Im part of it!
This year Im going to participate at a short term investigation at my University. We are going to process some data from different planets near the earth. So, I think this project is a great introduction.

And the most awesome thing is to find a group of people from different countries, with different ages and kinds of live who share the same interest for science.

Ive got a few questions but I dont know if I should ask them here...
for example, my events says:

Your Overall Score: 4
Total Movies Viewed: 17
Your Rank: 16913 out of 21460
Specificity: 100%
Sensitivity: 100%

By now the only tracks Ive seen were from calibration movies, but what happens if I see a real one?? Then somebody analyses it? I read: "Below are the movies you have identified as candidates for containing particle tracks." But I can´t see the list!

Anyway...I´ll keep on looking for info..and for dust!
Oh no...my mom is awake and it´s 3:50 am...Im dead!

Well, goodbye! Keep dusting, and sorry for my bad english.
You can write to me in Spanish or Portuguese also if you want.

See ya
Goodbye Blue Sky!
inja_bg

Post by inja_bg »

Hi everyone! I am Svetoslav - a 18 years old boy from Bulgaria. I find you with Google. I'm interested in space and science.

I hope I will enjoy my stay here.
Regards.
paramecie

Post by paramecie »

"me too"

I arrived a few days ago ...
I'm happy to search for nonsense things ;-) as it changes me of my job of Lego parts seller (check my Web somewhere) :D

Statistics for paramecie
Your Overall Score: 508
Total Movies Viewed: 2113
Your Rank: 2529 out of 23443
Specificity: 100.00%
Sensitivity: 93.80%

By chance, i'm one of the 100 viewers of this one:
Movie 8130472V1 352 105 Passed cut 1 possible idp

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8130472V1

Have a fine life, all, and take care of you.
Star Gezzer

Me Too

Post by Star Gezzer »

That is a real obvious low angle track. It makes me wonder if the collector was not positioned at right angle to the cometary stream or if the frame got hit by a particle and caroomed it back to the gell.
paramecie

Post by paramecie »

Yes it's a strange angle. Maybe it's "nothing", or as you say it may have hit the frame before or so...
I wonder what means "Passed Cut 1".
And if it's a dust, then maybe the ones we're chasing are smaller than expected due to the test ones which are (except for little tricky ones) a few times bigger.