VM written in AJAX?

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

mwhiz

VM written in AJAX?

Post by mwhiz »

i think the VM could be a lot faster if it were written in AJAX, just popping in the new movie with one AJAX function, but i haven't ever done much with it... anyone have any ideas?
"The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
icebike

Re: VM written in AJAX?

Post by icebike »

mwhiz wrote:i think the VM could be a lot faster if it were written in AJAX, just popping in the new movie with one AJAX function, but i haven't ever done much with it... anyone have any ideas?
How many browser and platforms support Ajax? (Its a serious question, cuz I'm not familiar with ajax).

The neat thing about the VM is that its so totally generic it works on just about any platform with just about any current browser and no need for special plug ins.

I don't find it slow at all, and my machine is nothing to write home about.
mwhiz

Post by mwhiz »

well, ajax is just Asynchronous Java And Xml. it all comes down to one javascript function that allows the page to communicate back to the server without reloading the page. i think its a good idea for several reasons:

-people who use low resolutions to make the movies bigger wouldn't need to rescroll every time
-faster load times for dial-up (i think)
-prettier because there's no white screen between movies as the page loads
-eliminates the url that shows whether or not it's a real or calibration movie
-(any others?)

it's basically just an extension of what they've already done, where they preload the next movie. it's just slicker... gmail is done with ajax.
"The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
icebike

Post by icebike »

mwhiz wrote: gmail is done with ajax.
Well, gmail has some limitations on which browsers it will support, so unless those problems could be solved it would be a step backward.

Still, I do like the need not to repaint and reposition the whole screen each time.

Part of that problem is that they gave there web designers nice big screens. Its a good idea to keep your web designers on old clunks
with low res screens.

All in all, though, its the coolest use of the internet to come along in a LONG time. Kudos to the Berkeley crew.
mwhiz

Post by mwhiz »

browser issues... agh. why can't everyone just agree on one? :roll: agreed, this has to be a universally working application.
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky