Multiple Tracks- where to report?

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

mwhiz

multiple tracks

Post by mwhiz »

if we find multiple sub-surface structures, should we click on the most obvious or the least obvious one? for example movie 43187 and movie 44752 each have at least 3 sub-surface features (black dots) at the very bottom!

most obvious -> higher probability it's really a dust track (i think)
least obvious -> higher probability the final review catches more than one structure

will the final reviewers see where we click or just know that we did click?
cheers,
peter
"The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
jenkins

Multiple Tracks- where to report?

Post by jenkins »

one of our identified tracks.....movie 42957.... has at least 3 or 4 tracks the most obvious being 3:00 position near the edge of the frame but others at appx. 11:00, 9:00, 7:00 in the frame as well.'

found this after further inspection.

regards
Jameson Jenkins
jenkins

Post by jenkins »

also after further review of our tracks have discovered multiple tracks in....movie 42232...one track is above the other at about 12:00.

all these "extra" tracks we found are absolutely miniscule compared to other larger tracks.

others would be well served to review their tracks as well.

regards,
Jameson Jenkins
mwhiz

Post by mwhiz »

btw: there's some discussion about whether these spots are actually tracks. i've been clicking them... but they're SO much smaller. i guess we'll find out soon enough :wink:
"The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
dazza101

Post by dazza101 »

There appear to be multiple small "tracks", although specks maybe a better term, in Movie 44265 http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=44265. Whatever they are, they are small and definitely below the surface of the aerogel...
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

We've been told to just click it once where you see (the best?) one. If there is more than one, they will see them.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
icebike

Re: Multiple Tracks- where to report?

Post by icebike »

jenkins wrote:one of our identified tracks.....movie 42957.... has at least 3 or 4 tracks the most obvious being 3:00 position near the edge of the frame but others at appx. 11:00, 9:00, 7:00 in the frame as well.'

found this after further inspection.

regards
Jameson Jenkins
Jameson: Don't you suppose the professionals will be AT LEAST as observant as we amateurs?
kevin barber

Multiple events on one movie

Post by kevin barber »

If I see more than one possible event on one movie how do I record them? :?:
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: Multiple events on one movie

Post by DustBuster »

kevin barber wrote:If I see more than one possible event on one movie how do I record them? :?:
Hi Kevin.

Click on the best one. If there is more than one event, the scientist(s)reviewing the movie will examine all of it.

Good luck!
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
frankiesmum

Multiple events

Post by frankiesmum »

These are worth noting above and beyond single events, since they can only be reported once by each observer, a limitation imposed by the assumption boundary in the programming. :idea:
Possible multiple (2) event, focus poor with little depth below the surface:
7995013V1

Cheers
icebike

Re: Multiple events

Post by icebike »

frankiesmum wrote:These are worth noting above and beyond single events, since they can only be reported once by each observer, a limitation imposed by the assumption boundary in the programming.
Cheers
But we've had this discussion on the board before, In fact I think its in the FAQ.

The total votes a movie gets will attract attention, regardless of how many events it contains. Upon review, by the scientists (who are at LEAST as observant as us mere mortals) all the events will be discovered.