is there's life in the space??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

tareq

is there's life in the space??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by tareq »

i dont know, but i have the srangest feeling that there's some life out there, and an intelegent one, as Jody foster said in CONTACT "if it's only us it will be an awful waste of space", i wont like it if there's no one there.dont you think????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SuperHuman

Post by SuperHuman »

Intuition tells me that life should be there and even logic and reason would indicate that life should be there, somewhere. I don't think people should really debate the existance of life but rather if other forms of life are accessible to us (now or ever). Maybe the distances between us are just to great, not to mention we don't know which direction to travel in.

On a lighter note, wouldn't it be crazy if there was an extremely small alien spacecraft or some microscopic form of life impacted in the aerogel. Would it not be possible for some type of life to develop that could live in the vacuum of space? Nothing intelligent but just some form of life. Maybe it could have developed on a planet with little to no atmosphere, and as it evolved it managed to live outside the atmosphere of its own planet. Then slowly it drifted. I apologize if I sound like a nut, just being imaginitive. Oh and I can't spell worth a dime.
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Hi taraq,
Just wanted to say hello and I'm glad to serve with you on this project. When I saw this post above, I knew this was right up my alley.

I may need to send a personal message (PM) through this site to say everything so a little thought now. Our conclusions about life out there are that there is intelligent life every one million large galaxies. (10^6 ) This was arrived at by use of the Drake equation, no contact from seti and here is a different third, a low probility that "WE" are even here. That probility cannot be set too low, for here we are, but very low for intelligent life. We believe there is a great deal of life in the universe, but not many radio telescopes. Therefore we are very far apart. This makes me believe "THEY" have never come to see us, and much time will pass before this planet sends life millions of light years into space.

I am disapointed in this outcome as the dreams of our youth about traveling among the galaxies will not be achieved while we are around. Again we think the distances are too vast, the voyage too far, the food will not last, and our eighty years will run out before we get there.

Ha, ha, ha, ...What you think?
PeteSeeker

Post by PeteSeeker »

The Drake equation isn't so much an equation as a list of things that need to be considered when evaluating weather or not there is intelligent life out there (there almost absolutely has to be some form of life)...

here's some linky goodness

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/To ... ation.html

once we can map more of our universe we can make better approximations and estimates but at this point we can only observe a small percentage of the universe and can't really be expected to make absolute determinations with such a small sample...

taken from the SETI website http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179073

"Within the limits of our existing technology, any practical search for distant intelligent life must necessarily be a search for some manifestation of a distant technology. In each of its last four decadal reviews, the National Research Council has emphasized the relevance and importance of searching for evidence of the electromagnetic signature of distant civilizations.

Besides illuminating the factors involved in such a search, the Drake Equation is a simple, effective tool for stimulating intellectual curiosity about the universe around us, for helping us to understand that life as we know it is the end product of a natural, cosmic evolution, and for making us realize how much we are a part of that universe. A key goal of the SETI Institute is to further high quality research that will yield additional information related to any of the factors of this fascinating equation."

the biggest hurdle to finding intelligent life, is our definition of life, we might think that certain environmental conditions (like our ow) are neccessary for life but we make discoveries contrary to that ideaology every day. One good one would be the life that lives in and around the sulfur vents of the Marianas Trench, life living at pressures and temperatures that no one thought possible....
Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

Life is out there. I know this for certain. In fact, it's one of NASA's biggest environmental concerns. Why do you think Gallileo was plunged into Jupiter's atmosphere instead of being allowed to potentially crash into one of the Joven Moons... Oh wait, you meant non-terrestrial life... :oops: Personnally I think I have a better chance at absorbing the Earth's seas into my eye then there not be life elsewhere. I'll even sweeten the deal and say that life not only once existed on Mars and other bodies in the Solar System, but may still live. I posted on another thread about the incredible durability of life on Earth. There are no doubts in my mind that NASA, ESA, the Russian Space Agency, China's Space Program, and anyone else who wants to land people on other worlds in our solar neighborhood should prepare to deal with microbes on those worlds. Mars and some of the gas giant moons especially.

Also, the continued discoveries of extrasolar gas giant planets and the reported first extrasolar terrestrial planet leads me to further believe that there could be some alien intelegence in a nearby star system typing a messege onto a computer saying that they believe there is life on other planets. Time will tell. Who knows, maybe in a few decades Voyager 1 and 2 will cross pathes with some alien world in a nearby system (they both just recently departed the solar system). We could get a messege back from them a few years later saying hello or "stop tossing your trash into our star system" (the second would be a hillarious first contact).
Everyone talks about SOH CAH TOA, but no one ever talks about CHO SHA CAO.
PeteSeeker

Post by PeteSeeker »

like the one article said, we are looking for other intelligent life by looking for magnetic fields caused by their technology, again, looking for life that is like ours (kinda like the Vulcans looking for warp signatures hehe) I'm guessing someone else is gonna find us first but, they may very well decide not to intervene so that their observations don't change what they are observing wich is something even we can understand...

I guess this is why I've always been interested in Aerospace technologies and space travel in general. We need to understand our universe and we need to travel out into the universe to make observations so that we can better understand it. It's like trying to get to know the entire population of the UnitedStates by sitting in your house in Upstate NY and looking out your window. We need to go farther, plain and simple and we need to reduce the time it takes there. At some point we're just going to have to become a nomadic race of explorers again to get to our next waypoint in our journey

**OK for you guys that don't think I'm crazy just yet, stick around, it'll get better.... :P
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

An interesting short story by Ben Bova involved a mission to Jupiter after the impact of the comet fragments. The result was life was found! A big whale like species. The problem was that the impact of the pieces of the comet killed them all! I wish I could identify the story and give more info, but the book was destroyed when my sisters house burnt down.
What is more interesting is how we will respond. Even if it is microscopic, will it be devistating to our delicate egos to find we are not alone? Will it truly make us believe that all we are is nothing since we are not alone? Or will the discovers be considered frauds and scorned?
You know, we should send the cockroaches out to see what they find. They have the endurance to make it anywhere!
From dust we come
tareq

Post by tareq »

hi all, super human, no need to apologize, you should be imaginative in science, its a good thing not a mistake, and about the spelling tell me about it!! its hard for me either.
and fjgeii am glad you like the post its an honor for me to work with you.
about life in space i think if its there, and am sure it is, there must be a fast way to get there, maybe using the black holes, or we could find a shortcut in the time-space , am sure there's some way, and all the space agencies in the world try to find that, and i've participated in a project from nasa to search for signals from outerspace, but i didn't know how to use it :cry: any way am sure the next years will prove the life out there.
and my major is soil science, so maybe some day in my dreams or maybe in reality i wil be a part of a mission to mars or other planets so i'll analyse the soil there and discover a life. Or the easy way like aliens visiting us. Who watch TAKEN???, its great, it might not be true, but also how we could know if it's wrong????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lollia

Post by Lollia »

Interesting subject! I was wondering what kind of "alien" life form you would like to meet.
I guess it should be nice to think about something unusual.
In this very moment I am thinking about Edwin Abbott's "Flatland" A. Square meeting the Sphere.
Longum iter est per praecepta, breve et efficax per exempla.
(The way is long if one follows the precepts, but short and effective if one follows patterns)

Lucius Annaeus Seneca - Epistulae Morales - Liber I
tareq

Post by tareq »

ummmmm, i want the aliens to be smart, verrrrrrrrry smart, and tell us about new things in universe, a new information about the stars, planets, black holes,...etc. And of course i hope they will be good looking :wink:
RedXevious

Post by RedXevious »

I definitly believe there's some form of life out there somewhere. We can't be the only ones in the universe, it doesn't make sense.

However, considering the age of our universe (and the vast distances of time), it may be that there were multiple intelligent life forms living in this universe (just like ours), but no two of them existed at the same time. For example, a planet would become inhabitable, life would begin, forms would evolve, gain intelligence, build a civilisation, and then would eventually die off and become instinct due to reasons like a nearby star exploding or whatever, all in the course of, let's say, 200 million years. 200 million years is a drop in the bucket compared to the estimated age of our universe. So, it's entirely possible that life existed before us, and will exist after us, but perhaps no two life forms will ever exist at the same time. So, at the moment, we could be the only intelligent life in our universe. However, hundreds of millions of years from now (perhaps after us humans are long gone), a new life form will begin in some distant galaxy.
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Hi RedXevious,
Your view is more pessimistic than mine is, and I thought I was always the pessimist on this question. As I mentioned above I believe that there is one intelligent civilization every one million galaxies. That spreads us out a lot. Since we would have trouble contacting them in my case or yours, there may not actually be much difference.

I do believe there is life all over, just not intelligent enough to build a radio telescope.
littlebhawk

Post by littlebhawk »

I definetly believe that there is life out there somewhere and im glad other people will admit it and not get laughed at and such ( you should see my parents when I mention this stuff)... sadly though if there is life out there orbiting other stars it just may not be close enough to get there within one generation. And if you wanted to travel through blackholes well 1) you better trust einstein with your life and 2) the closest one is in the center of our galaxy, which still isnt very close. But then if you trust einstein in the first place then ( I think) that the faster you go the slower time gets, and at the speed of light time is 0, im not sure but i think i heard this somewhere. So maybe if you could go the speed of light you would never get older and can go anywhere you want.... im not sure but if NASA wants a person they can shoot off to another planet in a spacecraft that can go the speed of light i would do it in a heartbeat
tareq

Post by tareq »

littlebhawk wrote: im not sure but if NASA wants a person they can shoot off to another planet in a spacecraft that can go the speed of light i would do it in a heartbeat
oh yeh, i will do it too, or if they want some one to go through a black hole...i'll do it with no fear at all, am ready for it with a steady heart like a rock.
DustDevil

Post by DustDevil »

Well, as most of you here... I definitely believe that there is life somewhere out there! I don't know whether it is intelligent or not and I also doubt that we will find it (although I still hope we will!).
The problem is not only the far dinsance or the wrong time - but also both together... I mean, when we look into Space, we look into the past.That means, if we want to discover life in a galaxy that is, say, 65 million light years away, life would have to have been there since 65 million years ago. Maybe it has already died out. And the other way round: If life would exist there now, we couldn't see it now, but only in the future.
That makes it pretty improbable to find life somewhere in Space, even though it maybe exists (unless we finally find a possibility to travel faster than light - this would solve so many problems *dream*).

Still there are some interesting candidates in our own solar system, like Mars or (my personal favourite) Jupiter's moon Europa.