Is something wrong with the rankings?

Frequently Asked Questions

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Is something wrong with the rankings?

Post by bmendez »

Q: Is something wrong with the rankings?

A: Yes. Rankings are behaving very strangely, not updating for long periods of time, not being in correct order, and having too many digits. This is a new bug that has appeared in the last day or so. We are aware of the problem and will try to figure out and fix it as soon as we can.
BenTrem

Post by BenTrem »

Also related is that Rank on VM is frozen. A couple of participants report being stuck at something like 65992 ir 6378.

cheers
When you look to see how the system works
Likely you will find that it does not.
jbigam

Post by jbigam »

I just registered today and I'm seeing that

Your Rank: 65535 out of 7086
ToSeek

Post by ToSeek »

My impression is that your rank will start out at 65535 until the (apparently buggy) software fixes it. 65535 is the largest number that will fit into a 16-bit computer word.
If you're going to be just like everyone else, what's the point in existing?
Blarrrg

Post by Blarrrg »

The ranks seem to be working now!
Mine just changed :D
bartsob5

Post by bartsob5 »

i registered 3 days ago, and i also was no. 65535 out of 5000, but till i got some points. so i think that this is quite normal situation that is because of wrongly written alghorytm of ranking-program.

so the problem really is about updates than that.

by the way, is there a chance to be there ranking of all registered users, not only first 100?
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Not fixed yet, unfortunately. I got adjusted but then it froze again.

-Shar
GuruBuckaroo

Suggestion for New Ranking System

Post by GuruBuckaroo »

Rather than rely upon the raw score as currently computed, would't it make more sense, be less suceptable to alleged "cheating", and properly reflect the amount of 'science' done to compute rank as such:

Total # of 'real' movies viewed X specificity% X sensitivity% = Score

That way, you're not basing the rank on just the number of calibration movies, but on the actual percentages used in weighing the member's accuracy and the number of real science contributions made.

This way, anyone who skips ('bad focus') over the URL-identified real movies won't earn a high ranking from their actions.

Not that I really give a squat about the rankings - I'm happy that my specificity is 96% and my sensitivity is 99%, and don't pay attention to my Score (as computed now). I'm in it for the science.
Practice Safe Sentience!
astrok2003

Rank and Top 100

Post by astrok2003 »

For those who are concerned about rank, I do agree that, especially since the rank server is not functioning properly right now, the important part of the stats are the percentages. I do have a suggestion for those of us who are enjoying the thrill of trying to reach the Top 100 while contributing to the cause (or for those who have made it, slipped back, made it, slipped back! lol). I understand that certificates are not going to be ready for a little while for the Top 100 while the kinks are being worked out. Since a person's standing in the Top 100 is so flexible due to their (our) own efforts and/or mistakes, what if we had certificates for the 1000+ Club? Anyone whose score goes over 1000 qualifies.

You could keep the Top 100 list going for kicks and giggles, especially after the rank server is fixed. I'm not fixated on my "score," but I admit it adds an extra feeling of accomplishment to reach different milestones.

Linda K
Linda K
BenTrem

Re: Rank and Top 100

Post by BenTrem »

astrok2003 wrote:I'm not fixated on my "score," but I admit it adds an extra feeling of accomplishment to reach different milestones.
I find it keeps me focused. Pick up the stone; throw the stone; run to the stone; redo from start.

:-)
When you look to see how the system works
Likely you will find that it does not.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

:lol:

Thanks for the laugh BenTrem!!!
From dust we come