Can I review calibration movies?

Frequently Asked Questions

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Can I review calibration movies?

Post by bmendez »

Q: I'd like to know what I got wrong. Can I review calibration movies?

A: Yes. If you notice that your score has changed negatively after evaluating a movie, then you have incorrectly answered a calibration movie. To review the movie, simply press the back button on your browser. You will not be able to alter your answer, but you can look at the movie again to see if you can determine what you did wrong.

Note: You cannot use the My Events viewer to view calibration movies. If you plug in the movie ID# for a calibration movie in the My Events viewer it will return a real movie that has the same ID#.
farpung

Re: Can I review calibration movies?

Post by farpung »

bmendez wrote: You cannot use the My Events viewer to view calibration movies. If you plug in the movie ID# for a calibration movie in the My Events viewer it will return a real movie that has the same ID#.
Does this mean that there is no point informing the team of the ID# of a calibration movie that we think is misleading or faulty? Can the calibration movies be identified by ID# by the team?
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: Can I review calibration movies?

Post by DustBuster »

farpung wrote: Can the calibration movies be identified by ID# by the team?
Yes.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
Cebalis

Post by Cebalis »

Suddenly I see that I should have not recognized a track of a calibration movie. My problem now is that I don't know if it was the last movie I checked before, because the back button of the browser goes back with the movies, but it dosn't show the stats as they were before (the total real movies, correct calibration movies, etc.). Only the movie ID changes back.

Now how can I see the bad track that could hide from me and caused that I will never have 100% sensitivity again? If this is not possible, I might be very disappointed....
mjkelleher

Review with correct answer

Post by mjkelleher »

I've used the Back key to review incorrectly answered calibration movies, but I can't always see where the track is when I've missed one. Is there anywhere I can review the movies I've gotten wrong, with the correct answers? That would help me to know what I'm missing, what I should be looking for. And increase my sensitivity score.

Thanks!
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

No, There is not. Only the tutorial will give you movies with an answer as to whats what. The tutorial will be occasionally updated, so it does pay to go back there now and again.

The only way to learn from calib. movies is to keep an eye at your score and go back if you miss one. Tracks on the calib. movies will allways remain in focus untill the very last frame. They range from very large (10 microns in diam.) untill very small (only a view pixels).
Just dusting... Image
mjkelleher

Post by mjkelleher »

Bummer. I think this last one was of the just-a-few-pixels variety, as I did go back but didn't catch anything. :(

Thanks for the quick answer!
Verenique

Post by Verenique »

Just a couple of relative questions and a suggestion:

1. Screening for something, you want to be sure you'd catch everything you're looking for (so you want high sensitivity) while you accept a risk to make some arong picks (false positives that will lower your specificity).

Do calibration movies focus on testing a participant's sensitivity only? To put it in another way, are any calibration movies around with a "trap" on them, aiming to find out how often participants will misinterpret those "traps" as tracks?

2. Is it possible to get a feedback on calibration movies? I think this would be greatly beneficial and will make regular participants get much better and accurate as the time goes by. I can understand that this may by difficult to be done on an individual basis but at least you could pick the most misinterpreted calibration movies and present them regularly to the community. How about that?
Carbon number 7 inside my limbic's particular receptor, originated from a purple Supernova, generating illusions of explosions at a glance of your figure.
katkolling

where's the missed track

Post by katkolling »

Just to add to the request above about calibration movies that a person answers wrongly - it would be very, very helpful to then be able to see a version with the track marked. This would sharpen up people's skills. I did try the back button on Firefox, but still was not sure where the track was.

Also, for some reason, when I did that, the bottom of the screen was cut off, so I had no way of knowing the number of the movie. (It just occurred to me that I can save the number by hitting printscreen before I click on what I think the movie shows.)

One thing that confuses me is tracks seen from the side, like the "large track" you see when you click on examples. I thought I had a handle from the tutorial on tracks that show up as approximately circles, but I don't feel the tutorial showed enough about tracks like that "large track."

It also would be helpful if the banner at the top were shorter. Now every time a new movie loads, I have to scroll down to get all the interesting part on the display.

Thanks for the opportunity to take part in the fun thing,

Karen Anne
mpstevens69

Post by mpstevens69 »

It has been 2 1/2 months from the last reply on this post. has this changed can you check one you have gotten wrong? I have tried the using the back button but it did not give me the same movie I just looked it gave me a new one?
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

mpstevens69 wrote:It has been 2 1/2 months from the last reply on this post. has this changed can you check one you have gotten wrong? I have tried the using the back button but it did not give me the same movie I just looked it gave me a new one?
No, nothing has changed. The VM works the same way now as it did the day we opened for searching. I'm not sure why the back button did not work correctly for you. Are you sure that you noticed the change in score right away or perhaps one or two movies later?

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
Tom_Gutman

Post by Tom_Gutman »

mpstevens69 wrote:It has been 2 1/2 months from the last reply on this post. has this changed can you check one you have gotten wrong? I have tried the using the back button but it did not give me the same movie I just looked it gave me a new one?
I would expect that to happen if you are trying to back up to the first movie after you hit the VM button. Also the movie gotten with the get a new movie options (from the unusual path message).
Tom Gutman