How would a student go about teaching?

Teachers and Students, use this forum to discuss ideas for using Stardust@home in the classroom.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Siegfried

How would a student go about teaching?

Post by Siegfried »

What do you think is the most effective way to teach about the Stardust project? I was considering burning a disc so I could use my teacher's computer and projector for examples of VM movies. But really, these kids are total idiots, not all of them, but most of them (you know the type: shaved head, baggy pants, cell phone ringing in class, rap, writing gangster-style in their notebooks, which are otherwise devoid of anything).
But how would I teach for those interested? I was also thinking of this as a good opportunity to show off my new astronomy laser pointer, which is also useful for presentations.
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Blakut

Post by Blakut »

Make them to pre-register to the presentation. Only those interested should come...
PeteSeeker

Post by PeteSeeker »

sometimes the hardest part is finding those who are actually interested....
sb126k
DustMod

Post by sb126k »

sometimes the hardest part is finding those who are actually interested....
Ah... Truer words have never been spoken, I mean written.
You rang?
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Well, any ideas? I don't think I'll find anyone interested. And I certainly don't have any friends other than on Entmoot, HVEL, etc.

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Perhaps you could talk to the head librarian and see about getting a "Stardust Club" started. School is out and you might be able to get interest. I know our local library system does a wonderful job of providing activities for our kids. We have reading clubs where they earn point for prizes when they read books, they have movie days, lots of crafts and activities. But be careful you do not speak on Stardust's behalf! I'm sure they will have tips and ideas for you.
Not that you want to recruit kids, but they will have parents and you could target a teen and/or adult club.
Also, if you have any local colleges/universities around, they might or might not know about it yet.
Can't teach the uninterested. As PeteSeeker stated in his own way, you can't even talk to them! But I think first you have to generate interest, then see what level of science they are at, then you should know which way to go. By then you might have some teachers who have prepped for their groups.
Good luck!
From dust we come
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Thank you! I'll have to look into it. For now, I'm going to make a little sign-up sheet for my fellow Junior Volunteers at the Living Desert, where they can put their e-mail and I could send them links to the site and give them basic information. Then let Stardust handle the rest.

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
cthiker

Post by cthiker »

Nikita wrote:Perhaps you could talk to the head librarian and see about getting a "Stardust Club" started. School is out and you might be able to get interest. I know our local library system does a wonderful job of providing activities for our kids. We have reading clubs where they earn point for prizes when they read books, they have movie days, lots of crafts and activities. But be careful you do not speak on Stardust's behalf! I'm sure they will have tips and ideas for you.
Nikita - I think that seems like sage advice! Wondering what suggestions or info exists that I could use in addressing a small group of elementary-age kids on the subject (this is mostly addressed, I think, to the Berkeley crew, and - per title - to Dr. Mendez in particular [please forgive the attribution if in error]).

My 9 y/o stepdaughter is interested in making (with my guidance, of course) a very short presentation to her summertime "daycare" group. The program director was very enthusiastic, saying she feels that many of the children would find this fascinating. I can supply the PC and a projector to demo the system along with a few PPT slides, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble regarding proprietary rights and so forth. Are there any UC-Berkeley-approved guidelines that you can suggest in putting this presentation together?

Hope the question makes sense, but feel free to ask away if not...

Thanks so much for any and all guidance!
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi cthikier,

There are no restrictions on using any of the material on our website. We are funded by NASA and so all of our text and imagery are in the public domain. Use it freely.

So far, I have personally given presentations about Stardust@home to only high school students, but we did have some middle school teachers test the alpha version of the Virtual Microscope for us. We've found them all to be very interested. I'm considering putting a general presentation up on the website (that may be a few weeks away, though). But if you make one specifically for elementary students, please do share it with me and with everyone here.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
cthiker

Post by cthiker »

bmendez wrote:But if you make one specifically for elementary students, please do share it with me and with everyone here.
Bryan - It'd be my pleasure! I doubt this will happen for at least another few weeks or so, but I'll forward the PPT and the presentation outcome when it's done. Thanks for the feedback, though!

All the best!
CTHiker
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Well, thanks for the help! Perhaps I'd be better off recommending it to people. After all, schools out now anyway.

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

I just discovered a nifty little 'build your own StarDust spacecraft model' at the JPL | NASA | StarDust website available in Adobe .pdf format on their website at this address -> http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/classroom/model/index.html complete with instructions. It's not recommended for assembly by kids under 10 unassisted, but you might be able to accomodate younger kids if they are in groups, particularly if there are bigger kids that can help the little ones out.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Dustbuster,

Thanks for posting the info! I discovered the same and a boatload of other things at NASA's educational site - sorted by are group, that covers Stardust. DUH! I never thought about going there before! Also, I didn't think about posting it for others before. Guess it was because I got lost looking through all their things, like I usually do....

It's almost time to "Go dusting" as Wolter says!!!!!
From dust we come
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi all,

I've placed links in http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... nplans.php
to lessons about the Stardust mission. As time goes on I will also post lessons there that we here at Berkeley produce. I will also post lessons that any of our fine volunteers come up with!

Thanks all,
Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
bwood

Post by bwood »

well, if you were to teach the stardust project to anyone or even introduce new people. i would help to wait untill the project is put out to the public that way the people that you are teaching, if interested, could start work on the project right away and not have to wait and risk loosing interest in it.