What will you name it?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

Siegfried

What will you name it?

Post by Siegfried »

Hello, everyone! I am apparently the first non-mod to post, and honored!
Well, this might not be much of a thread, but I'm just curious what you would name your particle if you found one.
Possible names for my grain of dust so far:
-Baby Bax - after my cat, Baxter
-Mukat - after the raven at the Living Desert (Nick'll know what I mean.)

I'll post more of my own as I go along.
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Sundevil

Post by Sundevil »

I think the first one should be called 'Alpha Particle'. I haven't thought about any other cool names to give them. It might be selfish, but I would name it my last name.
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Agreed! But that's up to our friends at Berkely, since (if I'm understanding correctly) they are going to try and find the first example (Best of luck to them!).
More names:
-Eddie
-Brendan's Dust Grain

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
king_pigeon

Post by king_pigeon »

I would hope that those who discover particles won't choose names meaningful only to themselves.
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

I probably fall under that category. :shock: :?
One more name:
-The Valkyrie - As in the Valkyries from Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
albutterworth
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by albutterworth »

Siegfried - the Berkeley team won't be finding the first track. That's up to you folks! Every volunteer has the same chance of finding something interstellar.

Good luck!

Anna
Stardust@home
Useful Links: | Aerogel Scanning Progress | Forum Rules |
Balana

Names are forever

Post by Balana »

Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and extremely honored to be part of this project. A name is an important thing and not to be taken lightly. I agree we all would like our name or something personally important attached to the particle. A discovery of this nature deserves it's own identity! I'll let you know after I have carefully considered a list of possible names!

I hope to get to know all of you. Hey Sundevil! It's good to see another Ohioan in the group! Talk to you soon!
Nikita
DustMod

What will you name it?

Post by Nikita »

Hello to all!

I wish luck to everyone and hope that we all have a great time!

I thought about this some. I think it would be neat to have a name with meaning, social or symbolic, for everyone. I may start looking at Sci-Fi or mythological names. Hermes, the messenger of the Greek gods, might be a neat one! :D

Just a beginning, can't wait to see all the names!
From dust we come
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Hello, and welcome!
I, personally, am trying to think of the most absurd names imagineable.
Vinny the Rock or something.

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Gamma^Ray

Post by Gamma^Ray »

I really haven't thought about it as of now, One of those things I guess
I'll ponder when it happens ! (Notice I said when, And not if ! :lol: ) .
A.Einstein wrote:"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
DustTrailFinder

Naming stardust particles

Post by DustTrailFinder »

I see that some here think that the names should have some sort of unselfish and universally important scheme to them.

I am planning to find at least three stardust particles and naming each of them after my grandchildren. Pretty ambitious I guess, but without goals why even try to find them. Oh yes, I will definitely have fun doing this, but I'm serious about finding one for each grandchild and really think I can do it, even though I'm on a dial up connection. So in order of my finds there will be the Madison Starparticle, the Zachary Starparticle, and the Brendan Starparticle. If I only find one, then it will be the Madison-Zachary-Brendan Starparticle.

Of course, I readily recognize that my chances of finding even one is extremely low, but I do issue a challence to all in the spirit of competion and, hopefully, good results.

I wish all participants good luck in finding a stardust particle. We will all benefit from the information, no matter who finds a particle or whatever its named.
follerma

Post by follerma »

I would/will definitely name it after my son.
BePeachy

Post by BePeachy »

I'd feel such a pressure if I had to name a particle! I don't think it has to be anything deeply significant, why not have fun with it! I might have so many ideas for names that it ends up like one of those very long names for dogs at dog shows like 'Peachy Crown Hereford the Third Blazing Days' or something. :lol:
'Life is like a bag of apples, it's what you make with it that counts.'
littlebhawk

Post by littlebhawk »

I am EXTREMELY excited about this project, I have been waiting for a couple months now and Im lucky I didnt have an anxiety attack. But now that the Stardust@home finally has a forum I can talk with other people that have the same interests in space exploration as I do ( considering when I say NASA, or mention any news going on down there in florida I get bad looks from people in my classes). I had to get that off my back....

My main choice for a name would be in honor of space exploration, Columbia7, for the seven who died in the columbia accident in 2003.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

littlebhawk wrote:My main choice for a name would be in honor of space exploration, Columbia7, for the seven who died in the columbia accident in 2003.
What a great idea! I think the people at NASA would probably like that. Just imagine if they were giving a presentation on the stardust and had to say "And here we see SD2006-a, otherwise known as Fluffy." :oops: I think they would be proud to use a Columbia 7 name instead. But, they knew the risks when they gave us the choice....
From dust we come