What will you name it?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

PeteSeeker

Post by PeteSeeker »

The first one's totally gotta be the PeteSeeker particle hehehehe, then maybe my daughter (and the moon) Phoebe, after that I'll have to look for names...

remember that scene from Armageddon when that guys firt sees the asteroid, what did he dicide to call it? I know it was after his wife but I just can't find what he said anywhere, and now it's not going to be funny either......
PeteSeeker

Post by PeteSeeker »

and speaking of drilling off-planet

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006 ... list851075

this guys seems to have some good "commen sense" and knows what he's talking about...
Sundevil

Post by Sundevil »

I think it would be interesting if someone named it "Made By God". Not so much because of my religious background (or lack thereof), but because of one movie scene that had a big impact on me.

In the movie “Red Planet” one of the crewmembers that was once a scientist but then turned to philosophy put it this way: "Maybe one day I'll turn over a rock and it will say 'made by God'".
sb126k
DustMod

Post by sb126k »

That rocks Sundevil!
You rang?
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

How about "lucky me" ;)

About 40 traces in 1.6 million movies, well....
Just dusting... Image
Chronocide

Post by Chronocide »

If I find one it will probably be called "Trumpler". I did some googling to try to find who discovered interstellar dust and so far this seems to be the guy who comes closest. Of course, before making my final choice, I would ask the Stardust at Home scientists "Who discovered interstellar dust?" because I think they would know for sure!

‘‘Cosmic dust particles produce the selective absorption.’’
—— Robert J. Trumpler [1930]
DiamondGirl

Naming Your Particle

Post by DiamondGirl »

My first thoughts run towards family surnames as well, but I just can't what I'd decide on if/when I actually found one.

Speaking of which, is it just me, or does the idea that we can participate in both finding and naming something like this give you cosmic goosebumps? I find this so incredibly cool! I hope this leads to similar future projects like it.

That said, maybe I should hide a creative name in something more professional... such as TWCBP-9 (Totally Wicked Cool Blair Particle). ;-)
Canis

Post by Canis »

Long since decided to name one after my girlfriend. The Bronwyn Particle has a really nice ring to it.

Good luck all
Awuga! Awuga! Abandon Ship!
cloaker

Post by cloaker »

Someone mentionned they will probably assign it some long number, so maybe I'll beat them to the punch and call mine:

in binary, which when translated will actually be my name, or something else!

Now to find my old comp.sci books to refresh my binary skills!
cloaker

Post by cloaker »

My previous post just made me think of something..

What about calling your particle something DOT.COM and then creating a website, like the particle is one of your family and putting up pictures etc?

Is there a limit to the length of the name? what if you submitted something really, really, really long?
silentpyjamas

hmm...

Post by silentpyjamas »

wow i love all the ideas! i'd have to say that if i found one i would name it Alexandrea, after my niece. she's so excited about s@h and she loves astronomy. not bad for a 3-year old. she wants to be an astronaut, so i'd say that is just the perfect name for a particle if i found one.
Schlockading
DustMod

Post by Schlockading »

I would probably name mine Schlockading.
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Wow, I can't beleive that this is still going! I've been gone nearly two months.

I have no hope of being able to update myself completely, and unfortuneately I'll probably be on vacation when the project starts. But I got a laptop for part of it.

Anyway, I'm back! :wink:
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Welcome back Siegfried, wondered where you'd been! The sticky posts are the ones to watch! We'll be huntin' the dust soon! :)
From dust we come
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Welcome back sweetie. :mrgreen:

We're closer than before but still waiting patiently.

Rah!

-Shar