ALZ@home problem

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

SmithES

ALZ@home problem

Post by SmithES »

Dan, I missed one of the calibration movies listed in my ALZ@Home Events. However, I was not informed if I had called it "Stalled" or "Flowing" the time I first viewed it. When we miss a caibration movie, we searchers must know the correct call on it, or we'll not learn from experience. Help? Thanks, Evelyn
caprarom

Re: ALZ@home problem

Post by caprarom »

I agree, Evelyn. I've missed one also, but there is no indication if it's a "stall" or not. I've studied it a couple times, but still can't tell for sure. It would help to know. Those deeper ones are really tough - at least for me.
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Thanks, Mike, a few minutes ago, I tried to check into ALZ@home, and failed. It would not accept my PW. It has worked so far. I called the phone number given, got a fellow who is with ALZ group. He checked his records. Never heard of me, nor Stardust@home! I filled him in and he was glad to hear that Stardust had joined Alzheimers. But, said he couldn't help me with a sign in problem, to contact Stardust. I sent an email off to Dan.
It is interesting that the "error" Event was returned w/o I.D. --failed or flowing! I just had 25 events, so I carefully opened and checked all 25, trying to find the vent I had mis-identified. It is not there! I checked twice---it is just not in my Event list! So, I'm wondering what is going on? How could I have missed it if it wasn't in my Event list? Hmmmm. Evelyn
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Thanks for straightening it out. I am back on ALZ@home site, and looking at samples again. Am waiting for the site to let us know when we are wrong---and what we had dubbed the sample in the first place. I have found that it is much easier to determine "stalled" and "flowing" samples if I enlarge them on my desktop. On my imac, I go to "View" and click on "zoom in" selveral times until I I have the magnification I need to view the sample. Much easier than trying to read the small samples sent to us. We dusters have been given a special privilege---perhaps our efforts will help our population in the future---slowing down or even eliminating Alzheimer's all together. It's worth a little effort on our part to do it. Evelyn (SmithES, ERSTRS)
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Evelyn, I might be wrong, but I'm guessing the "25 events" you mentioned are all the movies that you flagged as stalls. To find the calibration or power movies that you've missed, look near the top of the "Your Events" page where it says "Follow this link for a list of power movies you have missed during this cycle." That link will take you to the one or ones you've missed. I've encountered only six power movies so far out of 130 movies examined. I'm doing poorly so far on the PMs, but I hope to improve with time.
Mike
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Some of you (the usual suspects of course!) seem to have access to the ALZ@Home test site, but I can't find the URL.
As far as I can see, the latest telecon only gives a link to the Feedback site, for which providing my SD@H details didn't work anyway. Nor is it listed on Google.
I must have missed something somewhere (almost certainly developing AZ myself, coming up to age 70 next birthday) - can someone help?
Thanks, John
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

John (jsmaje) I access the ALZ@home site with--- http://alz-setup.ssl.berkeley.edu/
That takes me directly to the testing site. A few hints: Be sure to take the Tutorial (several times for me) before you begin testing. Then, enlarge the movies so you can clearly see the blood vessels. I've looked at 115 movies so far, and only missed two of them! I can hardly believe it. But, enlarged, the little black lines can be clearly seen. We are looking at mice brains, and I assume human brains will be different. However, the process should be similar, I'd think. Don't give up---this is too important. Evelyn (ERSTRS)
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

John, the Alpha testing actually wrapped up last Saturday, so I don't know if you can still log in. (I just tried, it says "Login is disabled."). We will be notified when the beta test (open to everyone) is up and running. Will try to remember to post here to let people know when it's ready. If you like, I can forward you the latest info we got from Cornell, but it doesn't say much else.
Mike
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

John and Mike, I swear to you guys that I logged into Alz@home site yesterday afernoon, (Tuesday, May 3) and "read" several mice brain movies! So it wasn't closed to me, yesterday. But, after reading MIke's email---that the site had closed--- I just now checked the site, and got the same message Mike did, (below). PLEASE do let us know when the testing is available again. I rather like looking at mice brains! I do want to add another suggestion---make sure the sample has loaded before you try to read it. It took me awhile to realize that some of them take more time to load than others. If the sample is allowed to fully load, I found it comes in more clearly. (duh)

We have temporarily disabled login in order to maintain the website. You are now logged out. Sorry for the inconvenience.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Yep, have found the alpha test log-in page is disabled.
Thanks Evelyn and Mike anyway.
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Hey, ALZ@home Researchers---I just tried the website and was admitted. (May 5, 4:20 pm EST) Apparantly it is active again! However, I was expecting new samples, yet the very first one was a familiar one that I've seen multiple times. Evelyn (SmithES)
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Will someone please get the message to Alz@home that we need an evaluation on the movies they return to us as "missed?" I have had three "wrong" movies returned----but not one of them lets me know how I rated it in the first place! It is VITAL---if I am to learn how to read the samples correctly--- I must know the status of those I have missed!
In contrast---when we dusters fail to click on a track, a copy of the movie we missed is returned to us with the track plainly marked. Therefore, when the ALZ movies are returned as "missed," I need the same kind of information---Did I click "Stalled" or "Flowing?" when I rated it? Until I get the "identy" of the ones I missed, I don't see any point in my continuing this new program! I'm not learning from my mistakes! THANKS, Evelyn (SmithES)
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Anybody out there? :) Sunday, May 8, 2016. I just tried to log into Alz@home, and got this message: "Log In - currently disabled." Drat! I wish they would let us know what is going on---I really like this new program and would like to continue it. Evelyn (SmithES)
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Evelyn, I assume you got the appended email from Pietro at Cornell, but I'm pasting it below just in case not. Since April 29th was the last day for the alpha testing, I was just planning to await a follow-up communication to let us know when the beta site, which will be open to everyone, is available. Anyway, that's the last word I received. Mike

Sent: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 16:32:06 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: LAST DAY! // Re: WeCureALZ alpha test roll-out - ACTION REQUESTED

Dear Colleague,

Today is the last day of the WeCureALZ internal (NOT public) test! If you haven't already tried your hand at using our research accelerator, please give it a try. This is more than just cool citizen science - we really need your help to make this an effective platform so we can engage MILLIONS of people to help the S-N Lab take out this nasty disease once and for all.

Many thanks to all the great feedback you have already provided. Our development team (Robert, Will, Egle, and Andrew) has been hard at work, addressing some of the critical path issues on-the-fly. So if you haven't logged on for a few days, you may notice some improvements, like an adjustable autoscroll rate, thanks to apt feedback from David, Jieying, Mike, and Calvin, and rapid implementation by Will and Robert!

Thanks again for all your great ideas - we are taking them seriously and they are in the queue!

Again, it is not too late to follow the instructions below and participate in this historic alpha test of the first crowd-powered research accelerator for Alzheimer's disease research. If you are hesitant to try because you don't know anything about Alzheimer's disease or citizen science, then you would actually be a perfect tester! We want to know what works and what doesn't. Is the on-ramping confusing? Do you always know where to go and what to do or is it impossible to even get started? Give it to us straight - we want your tough love :)

If you have invited trusted colleagues or friends to participate, please forward this on to them as well.

Collectively yours,

Pietro
Human Computation Institute
Pietro Michelucci, PhD / Director
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

No, Mike, I didn't receive that notice from Cornell. Thank you so much for posting it. I suppose I'll just wait to see what happens next. If you recieive more news, how about posting it so the rest of us can read it, too? Apparently my name, at least, isn't on their list. I hope the opportunity to search mice brains does continue. I really am excited about it. Evelyn (SmithES)