Phase 6 stats and Skill score 'jitter' simulation

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

caprarom

Re: Phase 6 stats and Skill score 'jitter' simulation

Post by caprarom »

Amen to all that, John, and especially I second your kudos to the Berkeley Team for trying to be so accommodating to the diverse wishes of all dusters - almost to a fault. Like it or not, they are running two parallel projects; one the search for interstellar (and now cometary) dust particles, and the other on how to organize/manage a citizen volunteer science project and keep their volunteers engaged. At times, I suspect the second is more difficult than the first. Regards,
Mike
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

jsmaje wrote:...Obviously a high work rate and good memory will help, by quickly gaining familiarity with the limited number of PM tracks themselves and reducing the time to recover skill score. So too, of course, would be compiling a database of approximate track coordinates from the ‘red bar’ missed-movies pages, after making inadvertent or even deliberate mistakes. Just how many unique PMs are there in fact?
There are about 70 plus or minus 10. This includes all of the candidate tracks, and a few of the man-made Heidelbergs, etc.

Hope that answers the question!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:Amen to all that, John, and especially I second your kudos to the Berkeley Team for trying to be so accommodating to the diverse wishes of all dusters - almost to a fault. Like it or not, they are running two parallel projects; one the search for interstellar (and now cometary) dust particles, and the other on how to organize/manage a citizen volunteer science project and keep their volunteers engaged. At times, I suspect the second is more difficult than the first. Regards,
Mike
Except the volunteers are critical to the search. So I would say it's more: 1) how to keep the search going, dusters' needs included; and 2) how to analyze and publish results for the ever so fragile specimens that have been found by our amazing volunteers! The latter has been the emphasis for the last few years, unfortunately at the expense of the former I'm afraid.

However, once the new results papers are published, there is a strong desire to get back to #1, with an emphasis on highlighting duster contributions and talents. Hope you can hang in there for this new Phase 7!

Dan