Could 3D images be used to detect tracks?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

fbacon

Could 3D images be used to detect tracks?

Post by fbacon »

I don't have any idea if this will work, but would it be possible to use 3D to make track detection more easy. What I had in mind was to photograph one movie and then move the lens microscopically to either side and make a second movie of the same area. If the two movies were linked so that as one focuses up and down the two images would show the same depth in the aerogel then it should work. This should make any dust particle or track suspended in the aerogel relatively easy to spot as it would cause them to stand out from the surface features (which would lack much 3D quality as they mostly exist on the surface and are more or less relatively flat). No other equipment would be needed as the same device would be used to photograph both sets of images. However, it would require taking twice as long to photograph each movie. The dusters would have to look at both movies at once to achieve the 3D effect needed to see the tracks. This could be accomplished by simply crossing one's eyes or looking through a simple cardboard eyepiece that would allow each eye to see only one of the images. I don't know if this has been considered and I did not find it when I used search on the boards for it. It could be tried with a small number of images to see if it will work. Best of luck to the Stardust crew!
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster---Nietzsche
DanZ
Site Admin

Re: Could 3D images be used to detect tracks?

Post by DanZ »

Thanks for the suggestion fbacon! But realistically, I don't think it can happen. As you know, right now a special camera moves robotically and methodically through each aerogel cell taking pictures as it focus up and down. It does this across the cell, and the process takes a good deal of time. Doing what you suggest would probably take far longer, more than the team could bare I imagine. In addition, I don't think we have enough people-power to put all the pieces in place. Nevertheless, I can put the idea out there and see what the team thinks. If I get a reply, I'll let you know.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Sorry for the late follow up, but here is Dr. Westphal's response:

The problem is that the field of view is so small that there is not a good way to get a big enough angle to get a stereo pair.

So, although this particular idea is not practical, we still appreciate and welcome suggestions of this nature!

Thanks.

Dan
fbacon

Post by fbacon »

Hi DanZ,
Thanks for your response to my idea. Maybe it will help on some future project (I know NASA has used 3D as suitable in the past). I'm sorry I took so long to respond but it's been a hectic time for me and mine this past few months. I appreciate the consideration of the idea.
A Happy New Year to the Stardust crew and good luck on finding some tracks. I'm going to try looking now.
Sincerely,
fbacon
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster---Nietzsche
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Hey there, welcome back! I hope 2014 brings better days. You might try sprucing it up a bit with one of Tom's patches! See post here

Take care,

Dan
fbacon

Post by fbacon »

Hi DanZ,
Thanks for the reminder. I ordered 2 patches today.
Thanks for the good wishes and best wishes to you also.
Good dusting,
fbacon