just a sugg.

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

garcitaitasister1

just a sugg.

Post by garcitaitasister1 »

FELLOW DUSTERS; I'M FAR SIGHTED, SO I FIND IT HELPFULL TO USE A MAGNIFING GLASS. HAPPY HUNTING
SmithES

Re: just a sugg.

Post by SmithES »

Dear garcitaitasister1, Got a kick out of your post. Don't know how old you are, but I'm 83, and I'm far sighted, too. So to see close up, I got bifocals. But, even with my bifocals, I still need to enlarge the movies. There are at least two easier ways to do that than use a magnifying glass. On my iMAC, I go to "View" in the Menu on desktop and click on "Zoom-in" two or three times to get the movie as large as I need it. The other way is to change my system prefs from 1680 x 1050, to at least 1280 x 800.
However, since I regularly use three browsers for various things, I have dedicated one for Stardust@Home only. Therefore, when I set the size of the movie by using "View" on that one browser, the site opens at the same magnification each time I sign in. So, that is my "default." Use "View" to enlarge the movie. Hope this helps.
Good luck---and think about getting bifocals. They are GREAT!

Evelyn (ERSTRS, SmithES)
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

And for those using Microsoft Windows but might be unaware (my version is Windows 7 Premium), you can instantly change screen magnification in 5% steps all the way between 10% (tiny)through the (normal) range of 80-120% up to 1000% (huge), simply by rolling the central mouse wheel whilst holding down the Ctrl key.
Personally I find 85% comfortable for regular web browsing given my particular monitor size and resolution of 1366 x 768, but use 145% for star-dusting (when the whole movie frame fills the screen), increasing to 600% or so for close examination.

As it happens, I’ve been highly & increasingly near-sighted all my life since the age of 8 (eventually reaching 'minus 12' dioptres), but after also recently developing troublesome cataracts have needed artificial lens implants, resulting in quite the opposite situation: perfect far sight yet inability to focus even at reading distance that I'd never previously experienced.
Nevertheless, my ophthalmic surgeon pointed out that I now no longer need to buy expensive bi-, let alone vari-focals, since Amazon & several others do a range of good quality and attractive reading specs between 'plus 1 - 4' or more dioptres for less than £5!
I’m delighted with the two pairs I bought, one at 2.5 for reading/computer use, the other at 4 for things closer. For distance vision (driving, when at a movie etc.) they can be conveniently perched on the end of my nose or tucked into my top pocket. Total cost less than £10, versus my last ‘prescription’ glasses for which I was convinced to pay £640!
Need I say that all this has certainly ‘opened my eyes’?

John
Ronald C. Spencer

Post by Ronald C. Spencer »

That's a great suggestion, I use magnified glasses and that helps out a lot garcitaitasister1 . it's much easier to notice a possible track if one has prescription glasses to deal with. Happy Dusting to everyone! :)

Dr. Ronald C. Spencer

Emeritus Member: The American Astronomical Society
Member: The Division for Planetary Sciences of the AAS
Member: The American Association of Variable Star Observers
Member: The Astronomical Society of the Pacific
Member: The Planetary Society
Astronomer's have Stars in their eye's