Phase 4 problems

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

Re: Phase 4 problems

Post by jsmaje »

Just for the record, I'm here for the science too, and have been since the beginning 5 years ago.
It was the team's decision to introduce a scoring system, which I consider to be a form of personal feedback rather than as a race.
The introduction of Skill ranking is an excellent improvement on pure number of calibration/power movies 'correct', but since the team's own calibrations have been amply demonstrated to be so often way out, my problem is not with any loss of score, but with the faith we can put in the team's care about such details, and the conceivable scientific ramifications in general, if any.

If blindingly obvious example-track coordinates can be got so wrong, it does rather undermine confidence in the team's attention to detail.
I'm sure they're doing their best within limited personnel, time and resources, and they have all my respect. But their best at this moment, regarding at least the Phase 4 @Home interface with their volunteer workers, is simply not good enough.

John
gebils

Post by gebils »

We talk about all the problems and negative feed back we are getting in our dustings. Imagine, please how the people at Berkeley feel with the negative feed back they are receiving.

One thing for sure everyone wants to succeed in this project and if we had the time to walk in the shoes of others perhaps we would better understand the problem.

George
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Thanks for the vote of confidence George. One problem we're having is that one of our main techs got brought on to another project, so we don't get as much of his time any more.

Anyway, here's what we're working on:
  • 1. Whatever happened to the Skill Scores is our current top priority.
    2. We are continuing to look at and tune the power movies. We did an update last Friday and are now trying to determine if anything improved or not.
    3. New real movies are being uploaded now and should be available for search by the end of the week.
    4. Many people are receiving feedback emails that are blank. We think we have a fix and need to do some programming.
More soon!

Dan
Klemek

Post by Klemek »

I'm glad to hear that you guys are working on solving the problems. I hope everything comes back to normal soon.
tudorbug

Post by tudorbug »

Well, crap! I've been carefully reviewing movies, with time to only do a few each day, to try to get to the minimum number of 50 power movies viewed so I could see what my skill looks like, thrashing my way along thru the obvious errors where I've been awarded misses for clicking on the dark balls at the end of tracks effectively a yard long and four inches wide because the calibration is at the top rather than the bottom end.

Finally, I've arrived at the magic number of 50 with a power score of a miserable 422, no thanks entirely to my lack of ability, and my trusty and well worn HP 41CX tells me my skill is a lowly 8.44.

And I am awarded a 0.00 which is about how I feel.

I do hope this glitch is corrected very soon.

David
gebils

Post by gebils »

For what it is worth:

I see a University sponsored project with possibly some outstanding information to be gathered about ourselves and our universe.

The people involved are faculty, often dedicated but underpaid and students often gifted but lacking experience. All of the above dedicated to achieving a goal often of immense size with little resources.

These principals have limited funding. No big bucks from government or private funding except possible some trickle from here or there. Nobody is getting rich in this adventure but that is not the goal so the desire to achieve rests in the effort and not the profit.

Every endeavor involving humans reaches a point at one time or another where FUBAR enters the picture. (((If your need a definition of FUBAR email me separately))).

Today in this endeavor we are faced with two challenges: patience and respect. Right now what is going on at Berkeley is like a duck on a lake. Everything above the water is calm but below all are paddling like mad.

I am dedicated to finding stardust and I have all the confidence and support of the leaders in the effort to achieve this end.

George
nitram819

Post by nitram819 »

Seems to be fixed now. I logged in and dusted for a bit when I noticed that my skill under the VM was no longer 0.00 . In fact, it now matches the skill I have in the rankings, two problems solved.

Many thanks to the techs :)
Klemek

Post by Klemek »

Great news! Well done.
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

We're trying! But there are still some HATs that are not correct, so please continue to report them (especially if they are low value Power Movies).

Related to George's appreciated post, if you really want to know where the truly important part of this project is happening - follow the thread here.

More as it comes!

Dan
tudorbug

Post by tudorbug »

The error in the calculation of my skill has been corrected and I express my gratitude for the time and effort undertaken.

David
nitram819

Post by nitram819 »

DanZ wrote:We're trying! But there are still some HATs that are not correct, so please continue to report them (especially if they are low value Power Movies).

Dan
I have many of those to report, but have been lazy lately after I settled in my new place. I will go through my emails tonight and post them here. I already got 4 or 5 of those today unfortunatly.
enokh

Post by enokh »

hi all

I scored two tracks but I have found in my event.

movie id 4606487V1

movie id 8641223V1

thanks
enokh
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

nitram819 wrote: have many of those to report, but have been lazy lately after I settled in my new place. I will go through my emails tonight and post them here. I already got 4 or 5 of those today unfortunatly.
FYI - we're running a program script today that we hope will fix the HAT bugs. I'll let you know when it's done, so hold off on reporting any problem tracks for the time being. Thanks!

Dan
nitram819

Post by nitram819 »

Aye aye sir, looking forward to see the results!
tudorbug

Post by tudorbug »

Script file may be running but here are four high angle tracks that I've found in the past hour which appear to me to be marked wrong:

1155941V1
9065547V1
2472281V1
7164762V1

They cost me dearly.

David