Track in 795637V1

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

tudorbug

Track in 795637V1

Post by tudorbug »

Folks:

I received a scoring error after checking "No Track." I've looked carefully twice and I cannot find the track.

Can anyone point me to it?

David
elainekeefe

Re: Track in 795637V1

Post by elainekeefe »

Tudorbug, the movie number you have given is invalid. Please check and correct.

Elaine
tudorbug

Post by tudorbug »

Thank you for this heads up, Elaine.

Here is the correct number: 7956374V1

David
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

tudorbug, the track in this movie is at 245/334, bottom middle. It is very faint. A giveaway on some of these smaller tracks is the white circle that appears above the track, followed by the particle itself. Sometimes the track itself is almost impossible to see.

Elaine
Mitchell Criswell III

Post by Mitchell Criswell III »

Hi Elaine and Tudorbug,

I'm not very computer wise, please help me if you can. How does one access this movie? Being a CM it isn't on the Alpha list.

Regards,
Mitchell
nitram819

Post by nitram819 »

Like Elaine said, the track is located at the bottom in the middle of the movie and its very faint.

I wanted to upload a screenshot of the track but I was unable to, Keep getting this error:
Could not upload attachment to ./files/4168_e00ddd7e181557f4ed7f426e86d2813b.

If an Admin is reading this, It could be because of our firewall since im at work atm but since it worked before while I was in the office, I thought it would be a good idea to mention it (ill try again from home tonight).
nitram819

Post by nitram819 »

Mitchell Criswell III wrote:Hi Elaine and Tudorbug,

I'm not very computer wise, please help me if you can. How does one access this movie? Being a CM it isn't on the Alpha list.

Regards,
Mitchell
Hi Mitchell,

Use the address bellow to see the CM movie in question. When you want to view a different movie, simply replace the last part of the address with the movie that you would like to view (for example: 7956374V1)

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =7956374V1

Hope this helps,

Martin
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Tudorbug & Mitchell,
I agree with Elaine and Martin (nitram819) about that track; it's not the easiest.

Meanwhile, these are the URLs that I use, saved in a handy Notepad file on my Desktop.
It's easy to copy & paste the required version into the browser top address bar, then substitute the movie number for the dots (as Martin has done in his abbreviated link) and click Enter.

Important: ignore the ** prefixes below; I've only found them necessary to prevent the forum-renderering program from replacing the central part of these addresses with three dots (which might explain Martin's abbreviated url above, for reasons known only to its single neurone) :

[Edited 19.6.10]:

REALS alone (works for any reals, not just those in your Events or the Alpha List; no need to log on):
** http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... er.php?id=........

CANDIDATES alone (no need to log on):
** http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... &type=real

CALIBRATIONS, plus reals & candidates (but requires being logged on for dusting on the Home page, not simply the forum):
** http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... eck_movie=........

Don't bother clicking on the above blue 'links', since they are invalid without a movie number, but check what you get, having logged on for dusting, by putting 7956374V1 into the Calibration version in the address bar.

John
Last edited by jsmaje on Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tudorbug

Post by tudorbug »

Thank you, Elaine. It's amazing how clear the track is when one has been told where to look. And, I looked and looked before a "No Track" click and then looked and looked again when I was confronted with a scoring error.

Frustration like this makes me again think that I need to find another job.

John, thank you for your added thoughts as well.

David
Mitchell Criswell III

Thanks Martin and John. When Al Gore invented the internet he forgot to explain a few things to me. But i am learning.

Mitchell
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Mitchell Criswell III wrote:Thanks Martin and John. When Al Gore invented the internet he forgot to explain a few things to me. But i am learning. Mitchell
"Learning"? My goodness Mitchell, you are no.11 in the top 100 dusters, so I guess you already know a good deal more than most of us :)!

Another thought for Tudorbug as well: do you magnify the movie frames or not? I never used to because of previous issues with the VM
returning incorrect coordinates as a result. But in phase 3 this seems to have been sorted, so I now find it helpful in picking out small and faint features by always using a magnification of 130-150% for the whole frame (which still allows access to the blue bars for scanning up and down), and more if necessary for searching particular areas within it.

Having IE7 I use either the bottom-right magnification facility in the task bar, or by holding Ctrl + forward-rolling the middle mouse wheel
(the latter also works in Firefox). There is of course a limit to how helpful this can be, since the fundamental resolution of the movies is unchanged. Things just get that little bit bigger, which certainly helps if you are as short-sighted as I am (currently -9.5 diopters). One's computer screen resolution will also be a factor, I guess; I'm currently using 1152 x 864.

I've also found that tipping back my LCD screen by a few degrees can increase the contrast if the movie is overall grey or too bright.
What do others use in terms of resolution, magnification if any, etc? Could there be some optimum?

Meanwhile, Al Gore has been accused of many things, but currently I blame BP!

John
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

jsmaje wrote: ...What do others use in terms of resolution, magnification if any, etc? Could there be some optimum?

John
             (my goodness, ... WHERE is this thread going????)

John,

I set my screen resolution on 800 X 600 pixels.
Then I use Google Chrome regular browser
and the Chrome Incognito browser also and flip back and forth using the keys Alt plus Tab.
**Caution** Chrome does not do anything to help see those faint CMs though. My Sensitivity is
down around 88%.

f
tudorbug

Post by tudorbug »

John, I've not tried magnification. I am uning Firefox and will give it a try. Thank you for the hint.

David
KevinACourtney

Post by KevinACourtney »

Hi All... I've been using a resolution of 1280x800 on my laptop. I use IE-8, and when I
Tools-Internet Options-General Tab.
At the bottom is a Colors button. I uncheck Use Windows Colors, and have the
Background color set to dark gray.
Then the Acccessibility button I press and check Ignore colors specified on Web Pages.
Then I log in and when I get to my first movie, I set my zoom to 145, and decrease the screen
brightness by 10 clicks.
This setting I found reduces the light & glare...helps me see the tracks better & it's easier on the
eyeballs.
Hope it might help someone...Good Dusting!
Kevin
Mitchell Criswell III

Hi all,

"Where this thread is going?" Let us hope it is going to help us all be better 'dusters'.

Thanks, Kevin. I'm about to get a laptop and you have provided useful info.

John, here in Florida we are not real happy with BP at the moment either.

Regards to all,
Mitchell