Official Stardust@Home Issue & Status List UPDATED 10:57

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

Re: Finding 'cheaters' or NOT!!!

Post by jsmaje »

Gael wrote:I do not waste time on waiting for the next movie to fully load when I do not see the tell-tale ripple.
Gael - no wonder your score has been scrubbed. If, that is, by "tell-tale ripple" you are referring to the obvious surface 'disturbance' associated with the largest of calibration particles, or (god-forbid) the well-known pixellation of calibration movies with tracks (large and small), which is due to their lower resolution than both calibration movies without tracks and all real movies, then all you've been doing is select known tracks. We are looking for unknown tracks, which involves examining the entire movie, especially the last-to-load frames below the surface (if the movie is well-focussed). Tedious I know, but that's the point of the exercise.

How many "My Events" do you have after viewing so many thousands of movies? If I'm right it'll be none or only a few. But up to 50% of folk are logging the subtle dots which tend to appear only in the last few frames, and which may or may not be artefactual "inclusions" - we're still waiting to find out.
lpspieler

no confirmation message after clicking a movie

Post by lpspieler »

I just logged in to the VM, got a calibration movie, and clicked on the track. But instead the small confirmation window that used to come up, the VM just loaded the next movie.
It correctly registered my (correct) click though. Don't know if this is intended, just wanted to let you know. I personally can live very well without the confirmation window.

S@H team - keep up the great work. Cheerio!!
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

the confirmation pop-up is appearantly limited to certain configurations. on firefox i have never seen one.
Just dusting... Image
Dervish

Post by Dervish »

Today I've gotten several movies that were fine and usable -- but the bottom-most frame is clearly from a different movie. That is, if I move the focus from the top down, and move off the bottom end of the focus bar, the image jumps abruptly to an entirely different frame. (I've got the latest Firefox and Flash, if that helps). I haven't checked, but it seems likely the 'different' frame is the first one from the next set.

Cheers!
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Dervish wrote:Today I've gotten several movies that were fine and usable -- but the bottom-most frame is clearly from a different movie. That is, if I move the focus from the top down, and move off the bottom end of the focus bar, the image jumps abruptly to an entirely different frame. (I've got the latest Firefox and Flash, if that helps). I haven't checked, but it seems likely the 'different' frame is the first one from the next set.

Cheers!
Hi Dervish.

You are referring to a 'split-focus' movie. Please read the FAQ about them here http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=645
(it's the last paragraph on the first post)

Hope that helps!
voyager1682002

Post by voyager1682002 »

once i login the javacript error keeping coming up, i can't even get through the first movie. It was working ok in the morning. I have tried to logout and login again few times, I even restart my pc, but still no improvement. :(
bill

Issue #5 cropping up frequently 2006-08-24 9pm PDT

Post by bill »

Issue #5 - javascript problem loading images

This started happening pretty consistently around 9pm PDT. I got it in 3 of the last 5 or 6 movies. I'm going to quit for the night and see if it is better tomorrow.
Cheers,
Bill
rcklein

Issue #5 - javascript problem loading images

Post by rcklein »

Whenever I get the "javascript problem loading images", I click the Browser "Refresh" (Explorer) or "Reload" (Firefox) button. That keeps the same movie. It always works, usually the first time. On a few occasions, I had to click more than once, but it eventually worked.
Bizyfe123

Can't View Movie

Post by Bizyfe123 »

Just wanted you to know #1896736 won't come up for viewing. I wouldn't be mentioning it, except this could have some Stardust! I'd hate to miss it because of a petty problem. Anyway, FYI.
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Hello, just a quick question. In addition to getting frequent Javascript error messages, I now am starting to have occasional problems loading the focus bars...half of them are missing, usually in the middle. Has anyone encountered this? Any suggestions? Refreshing the page doesn't help. I have to leave that page and then come back. This has only been happening the last few days. Thanks.
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

You might try finding in the java control panel. It should be in the windows control panel find the java cache setting and set it's size to zero.

That will cure a lot of problems. you don't have to cache java. The other one is clear your web browser cache.
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Mighty Pete wrote:You might try finding in the java control panel. It should be in the windows control panel find the java cache setting and set it's size to zero.

That will cure a lot of problems. you don't have to cache java. The other one is clear your web browser cache.
Thank you, Pete. I will try your suggestions.
Tom_Gutman

Error message for load failure

Post by Tom_Gutman »

A minor problem. The error message for when an image fails to load misidentifies which movie it belongs to, the current (on-deck) or next.
Tom Gutman
Tom_Gutman

Image size wrong

Post by Tom_Gutman »

I had noticed that when I zoomed in on a picture I seemed to get more structure, not just pixelation. Looking at some more attributes I find that the picture size in the browser is 500x375, while the picture size in the actual file is 512x384. That means that the picture needs to be resampled for the display, and reducing the number of pixels usually distorts small features. In most pictures that is not a problem, but here we are specifically looking for small features.

I suggest that the picture size in the browser be set to match the picture size in the files so as to get the best quality. The difference in size is small enough that I think only minor changes to the page would be needed to accommodate it.
Tom Gutman
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

My only observation is that if you can see what's in the calibration movie, you can find what we are looking for.
I don't feel that we will be the last to view these movies, and the high-res movies/collector will be around for a while. I feel our mission is to expediently identify obvious candidates for immediate study- as conventional methods would require many years to achieve a fraction of what we are accomplishing.

The idea was genius: The execution- flawless: Participation is the fundamental key and, according to recent posts, results are already possible in the near future.
This is a credit to everyone who has participated in this endevour- WE ROCK!
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!