OK, IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE NO SITE PROBLEMS???

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Howie

OK, IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE NO SITE PROBLEMS???

Post by Howie »

I want some responses to this post!!!
Don't read it and run,,,help us out hear!!!
And we now know that the xmas season is loading and slowing the servers

Keep it simple and short...and from where are you???

Java Problems???
Slow Site???
VM or Forum site or both???
How long has this been going on???

Thanks,
Howie
SilverGTP

No real problems here

Post by SilverGTP »

I'm in Dallas, TX using IE 7 on a XP Pro PC and a 6Mbps DSL connection. The only real issue I've had is missing movie images causing javascript errors but the movie still loads, just without the missing frame(s). I would stick an IfExists command in there to check the image before serving so it doesn't cause an unhandled script error like it's doing.

I've also seen the server stop responding but that's to be expected with PHP sites since it's script engine isn't very good at session threading. Look at the benchmarks - PHP is dead last for simultaneous users and throughput. I just hope this site doesn't fall victim to the many PHP vulnerabilites that exist, and more are coming since the guy in charge of fixing PHP holes just quit.

This is a great project, I just wish they had used more advanced web technologies to pull it off.
Tom_Gutman

Re: No real problems here

Post by Tom_Gutman »

SilverGTP wrote:I'm in Dallas, TX using IE 7 on a XP Pro PC and a 6Mbps DSL connection. The only real issue I've had is missing movie images causing javascript errors but the movie still loads, just without the missing frame(s). I would stick an IfExists command in there to check the image before serving so it doesn't cause an unhandled script error like it's doing.

I've also seen the server stop responding but that's to be expected with PHP sites since it's script engine isn't very good at session threading. Look at the benchmarks - PHP is dead last for simultaneous users and throughput. I just hope this site doesn't fall victim to the many PHP vulnerabilites that exist, and more are coming since the guy in charge of fixing PHP holes just quit.

This is a great project, I just wish they had used more advanced web technologies to pull it off.
There already is an if. The message is not an unhandled script error, but a handled script error. It is an explicit choice, in the script, to produce the error message. I've suggested that they remove that error message (it serves no purpose that I can see), but they either don't care or don't have even enough resources to remove (or comment out) the error message.
Tom Gutman
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

We are working on removing the reporting of the error message. Indeed it is an explicit choice, and we had pondered whether or not we really wanted to do that or not, since we do want to know when unusual things happen, but we recognize that it is annoying also.

We've discovered, for example, that the error may not be as random as we had suposed, and may be attached to specific movies. We might never have found that out without the error reporting.

Stay tuned...

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
marymouse

Post by marymouse »

IMHO the error messages are helpful because they alert me to refresh the screen.
Howie

Howie Here Again...Hi Marymouse

Post by Howie »

Refreshing does not work for my setup???

I get the same Java Script again???

I guess this depends on the computer and the browser, and so on???

I just clear the java box and continue!!!

Howie
Tom_Gutman

Post by Tom_Gutman »

bmendez wrote:We are working on removing the reporting of the error message. Indeed it is an explicit choice, and we had pondered whether or not we really wanted to do that or not, since we do want to know when unusual things happen, but we recognize that it is annoying also.

We've discovered, for example, that the error may not be as random as we had suposed, and may be attached to specific movies. We might never have found that out without the error reporting.

Stay tuned...

-Bryan
I understand what you want to know when unusual things happen. But this report to the user is not accomplishing that. Do you expect that users will report each occurance of this message? If you really want to know about each occurance you have to code it so that it automatically sends you an error report.

And it's not like that box is the only way a user knows of the problem. There will be a quite noticeable gap in the load bars. There will also be blank frames, although because of the way these are loaded they might not be noticed.

You have to be wary of any reports of such errors. Reports that include the actual failing URL should be OK, and allow you to identify the failing movie. However reports giving just the movie ID are questionable. The error referencing the ondeck movie is an error in loading the pictures for the next movie, and the error referencing the next movie is an error in the current movie. Hence it is quite likely that reports will give the ID of the movie prior to the one with the error (i.e., a random movie).

The failure seems highly consistent, at least on a short time scale (a few minutes). But very occasionally it is not, and refreshing the screen gets the missing movies. Further, I have never seen the error in a calibration movie, only in real movies. This makes me suspect something in the indexing scheme.
Tom Gutman
Wolter
DustMod

Re: OK, IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE NO SITE PROBLEMS???

Post by Wolter »

Java Problems??? Say 1 in every 20 to 30 movies, not anoying
Slow Site??? Seldom, movies load in about 10 seconds
VM or Forum site or both??? When VM is slow, Forum is also.
How long has this been going on??? I do not notice the site getting slower over time. Apart from the occasional hick-up i have no problems searching.
I am located in the Netherlands and have a 5Mb cable connection.
Just dusting... Image