Is the Stardust Project actually for us?

Teachers and Students, use this forum to discuss ideas for using Stardust@home in the classroom.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

pinak_samal

Is the Stardust Project actually for us?

Post by pinak_samal »

:roll: :roll: well,it is really strange,but not a lot of students take any initiative in projects such as Stardust,especially in India....Can there be any way by which today's younger generation can benefit from great projects such as Stardust?
sb126k
DustMod

Post by sb126k »

I'll tell you right now, I'm an exception to your rule, as I started with this project when I was in high school, and have continued with it in college. But I understand the point you make, and I think that a lot of children have a natural wonder about space and the unknown, but are unable to tap it in their everyday life. Students who take part in this project, including the forum, gain importrant social skills that they need to communicate with others. This site is a great opportunity for students to take part in a project larger than themselves, their school, their community, and even their country. It is also a way to nurture their curiosity and build it with knowledge and experience in dealing hands-on with a project like this.

-sb126k
You rang?
lancemaria

Post by lancemaria »

yeah! there should be..
cthiker

Post by cthiker »

lancemaria wrote:yeah! there should be..
Well, actually...there is (at least an attempt)!

Notice elsewhere in this forum that presentations are available to bring to the general public. There is even one, which I wrote with good critique from Dr. Bryan Mendez (UCB/Stardust), for Elementary School children. I've already presented that to one group of kids and anticipate doing so again to a larger one (meeting with the local school superintendant to schedule).

I can tell you that, based on comments received by that first group, and comments by other kids who'd heard about it, there is significant interest in science, space, and Stardust in particular. I'm convinced that it takes active "marketing" to reach kids today - maybe because that's how their used to viewing the world (they are often passive scanners rather than active seekers because - IMHO - the level of information overload available can make "digging further" into things seem unnecessary). However, if you spark that interest, it doesn't take much for those "digging further" juices to kick-in...kids haven't really changed, just their environment. :wink:

Again, just my humble opinion...

Thanks...and Happy Dusting!!!
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

I did a presentation for my son's 4th grade class. I simply told them about it, told them my son and a 6 year old have done it and that, if they participate, they can say that they are involved with a project online for NASA through Berkeley. I knew they couldn't resist the bragging rights, not as 9 & 10 year olds.... :lol:
We also talked in the class about how the science involved in projects like this can be used elsewhere and eventually make it into their everyday lives.
From dust we come
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

That's great Nikita!

If anyone else has done a presentation with school children, please let me know what you did and how it went.

Thanks,
-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
mikeli

Post by mikeli »

Hi Pinak,

Stardust can be a very stimulating topic to be introduced to young students. However, before presenting the topic to them, it would be better if students already have a background on Astronomy.

Teaching of stardust to young minds can leave a powerful and memorable impact to young students throughout their lives.