Other Space News

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

At least there was an "Untutored, horny hand" there to represent the general public as intelligent effective assets to the space science field.

Sometimes, ideas take time to become reality. Your voice was not ignored, I'm sure. It's just a shame that they have such a low view of the general public. It's not as if everyone would do this. Thanks for your comments!
From dust we come
fjgiie
DustMod

Moon, Venus, Jupiter conjunction

Post by fjgiie »

Picture I took with my Kodak.
Moon, Venus below and Jupiter

:)
fjgiie
DustMod

Johannes Kepler Mission

Post by fjgiie »

Kepler Mission

PHOTO CREDIT: NASA or National Aeronautics and Space Administration

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – On Launch Pad 17-B at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, United Launch Alliance's Delta II rocket carrying NASA's Kepler spacecraft rises through the exhaust cloud created by the firing of the rocket’s engines. Liftoff was on time at 10:49 p.m. EST. Kepler is a spaceborne telescope designed to search the nearby region of our galaxy for Earth-size planets orbiting in the habitable zone of stars like our sun. The habitable zone is the region around a star where temperatures permit water to be liquid on a planet's surface. The challenge for Kepler is to look at a large number of stars in order to statistically estimate the total number of Earth-size planets orbiting sun-like stars in the habitable zone. Kepler will survey more than 100,000 stars in our galaxy.
Photo credit: NASA/Regina Mitchell-Ryall, Tom Farrar

http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/search.cfm?cat=194
Several good pictures here

http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/imag ... 9-1975.jpg
Large Picture
fjgiie
DustMod

Hubble Repair

Post by fjgiie »

fjgiie
DustMod

Re: Other Space News

Post by fjgiie »

I hope I have this right -

Accretion disk around a black hole

The two similar images
http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic1116a/

Link
Hubble Link
http://www.spacetelescope.org/static/ar ... ic1116.pdf

[my note:] I cannot find out the diameter of the universe.
All I can find out is that the diameter of the universe is larger than 93,000,000,000 light years.[/my note:]
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

http://www.quantumdiaries.org/lab-81/

http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/

CERN podcast

Fabiola Gianotti, the ATLAS Spokesperson

Guido Tonelli, the Spokesperson for CMS

Thanks, with a photo fjgiie took of our middle grandaughter
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Hmm, could this long-mysterious-to-medical-science trans-generational ‘missing-middle-tooth’ syndrome (see above photo and here) have some morphic resonance with the LHCs latest astrological discovery of God’s particle and the fact that it also concerns a narrow gap in the evident energy-electro-quantum-magneto-crystal-pyramid elastic band?

If so, I think we should be told.

Happy winter solstice!
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Schönheitsfehler
(beauty-flaw)

I think that a female with a gap between her front teeth is very beautiful.

In the absence of the gap then the missing tooth is a fine schönheitsfehler.

jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Ich stimme Fred!
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Sehr nett. Beide sind einfach schöne!

Mike C.
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Ich danke Ihnen beiden.

Everyone thinks that their grandchildren are pretty.     Image
fjgiie
DustMod

Piece of Twinkie Package Found on Mars

Post by fjgiie »

Closeup image of sand on Mars

If you look closely you can see a small corner of a Twinkie package from earth ! :lol:
Scientists say it is piece of plastic from the Mars Science Lab.

SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Hey, Fred! Thanks for letting your StarDust pals know about the Twinkie on Mars --- before the rest of the world finds out. :lol:
Real cute. Now, since you are apparently up-to-date on everything, astronomically speaking, could you clue us in on the latest about Voyager 1? For the past six months it has been poised with its nose in the stagnation zone, up against the heliopause. Has it exited our Solar System yet? Can't get a straight answer from google.com. I'm really interested since Voyager 1 will be the first human object to say goodbye to us and enter the Universe! Thanks, Evelyn (aka: ERSTRS, SmithES, DOM)
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

figiie, (Fred) I bounced the question off my super-intelligent-chemical-engineer-hubby, Ted. "What is the 'stagnation zone?'" I asked him. Ted replied that the stagnation zone is obviously outside our heliosphere, and just inside the universe. In other words, "Voyager, tired from its long journey through our Solar System, has pulled into a rest stop." Evelyn :roll:
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Evelyn, the current (November!?) issue of SciAm has a brief article on p15 (though doesn’t seem to be on the inter-spiderweb-highway-to-info yet) referencing a report in Nature back in their Sept 6 issue: http://www.nature.com/news/voyager-s-lo ... ye-1.11348, which may be the new data to which you are referring.

By the way, the same SciAm issue discusses the possibility that even quarks may be divisible into at least 3 more fundamental particles, and that the CERN LHC might just be able to confirm this or otherwise once it’s yanked up to full power!
As I understand it, this is quite separate from other recent and I've found misunderstood reports that electrons are also composed of 3 more fundamental ‘particles’. In fact, what the latest experiments show is that the 3 known properties of electrons (charge, spin & orbit) can be individually ‘transmitted’ to adjacent electrons under very particular conditions, in the sense of ‘quasi-particles’.
A good analogy would be ‘Newton’s Cradle’ – those silver ball frames that used to be the fashion on executive’s desks; let one bang into the intermediaries and only the one at the other end moves to any extent. This can therefore be conceived of as a ‘quasi-particle’ of 'momentum' being transmitted from the first to last ball, quite independent of each identical ball’s other shared properties, such as mass, shape, colour or whatever.
I’m certainly no physicist myself, so would welcome confirmation or otherwise from the Berkeley experts regarding my understanding about these fascinating matters!

John
Last edited by jsmaje on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.