I answered a calibration movie right but was scored wrong

Frequently Asked Questions

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

DiamondGirl wrote:
rlcwik wrote:I beleive I found the same one as elainekeefe above. This is clearly a positive calibration movie and I got dinged when I clicked on it. What gives?

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1
I found this one (throwback from Phase 1?) and it has a small box around what looks to be a speck that becomes clearer as you go deeper. I'm assuming it's a mistake that it dinged my score, only because it didn't discredit me for my specificity, but for my sensitivity. So look out - this one is a trickster. :wink:
DiamondGirl,

Did you click on it? If you clicked on it you shouldn't have been marked down at all, but should have gotten a correct point. If you didn't click on it, then your sensitivity score would go down. Senstivity measures how good you are at spotting calibration tracks. Specificity measure how good you are at correctly deciding that there are no tracks in calibration movies.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
tiggertim

twice I've had this movie now...

Post by tiggertim »

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... s=?464,136

Movie number 253509V1, far right side, just above center, clearly something there, but gives me a faulse report.

many thanks

Tim.
There is more to life that just the world we live on
G0Dfather

Re: twice I've had this movie now...

Post by G0Dfather »

tiggertim wrote:http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... s=?464,136

Movie number 253509V1, far right side, just above center, clearly something there, but gives me a faulse report.

many thanks

Tim.
(false link)

but in the movie 253509V1, the track is at 90/85.
fjgiie
DustMod

numbers without a 2 in front

Post by fjgiie »

Movie numbers mixed up here.

Should be 2253509V1 track at 464, 136

90, 85 is not a track to me.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: twice I've had this movie now...

Post by bmendez »

tiggertim wrote:http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... s=?464,136

many thanks

Tim.
Tim, GODfather, and fjgiie,

The link shown here links to movie #7731648V1 (a real movie). The coordinates 464, 136 in the URL refer to a click you made in the previously viewed movie (whose # is not shown in the URL).

Movie # 2253509V1 is the next movie you saw after the one shown in the link. It is a CM and the coordinates are approximately where GODfather indicated, sounds like you likely saw it as well Tim.

I'm not able to check at the moment, but I suspect that the movie previous to the one shown in the link was also a CM and that 464, 136 were not the correct coordinates for the track in it, and that was the one for which you, Tim, were marked off.

-Bryan
- RUSH
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi All,

Thanks for your reports, they are very helpful. I'm taking an inventory of CMs that have been seen by you all that are ambigous or that have that obvious squares around the digitally inserted tracks. These CMs will be removed until such time that they can be corrected.

Among them is 7165805V1, which has given so many people trouble. This movie appears to have had two tracks dubbed into it. One is the obvious one with the square around it, the other is near the center and is practically invisible (though 9 of 24 people have correctly identified it). The nearly invisible one is the one that the system has the coordinates for. I suspect that the other one is simply a mistake. It may be that this movie was dubbed once and then accidentally dubbed a second time with the smaller track. In any event, it's going on my list of CMs to be excluded.

Please continue to let us know when you encounter CMs that have problems like this one.

Thank you all so much,
-Bryan
- RUSH
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Updated this FAQ

Post by bmendez »

Hi All,

I have updated the first post of this FAQ with the most up to date information. Please have a look: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... p?t=1094#1

Please take special note of the list of information that we need in order to investigate your reports. Without that information it can be quite difficult, if not impossible, to figure out what has occured.

Thank you,
-Bryan
- RUSH
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

stardust1 wrote: 3. There are several reports of negativ scoring on real movies as reported eg here and here. This happened to me on movie
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1 and on movie 3787546V1 but could also be randomly.
What could have caused this behaviour?
Hi All,

I have finally been given access to the events database, so I can now investigate these reports myself!

I have a little time to check out the reports by S Wilson and that of stardust1. In both cases the error did not occur on the real movie indicated, but rather on a CM immediately preceding it. So the system is behaving correctly; i.e. it is marking you off on CMs that you honestly missed and it is not marking anything for real movies.

Now, I suspect one of two things to be happening:

(1) The people who have reported being marked off on a real movie simply did not notice that they had missed a CM prior to the real movie (perfectly understandable given how very tiny some of the new CM tracks are).

or

(2) The VM is somehow lagging in showing the correct score, meaning it is not updating the scores immediately after a click has been made and confirmed.

While possibility #2 is a relatively minor bug and won't affect the overall project it will likely cause many of us unneeded grief.

So, please continue to report such problems when you encounter them (please refer to the first post in this thread on what information to provide). Take special care to note your score after every movie you view in order to avoid possibility #1.

Thank you all very much,
-Bryan
- RUSH
marlene reynolds

Post by marlene reynolds »

:( Hi

I found a glitch in a CM
(mermur)
1449504V1
Thurday Aug 16
8:10 Pacific time
coords - 169,185

The track is classic, large and hard to miss!
Cheers

Marlene
Summer
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

marlene reynolds wrote::( Hi

I found a glitch in a CM
(mermur)
1449504V1
Thurday Aug 16
8:10 Pacific time
coords - 169,185

The track is classic, large and hard to miss!
Cheers

Marlene
Hi Marlene,

Actually, you got 1449504V1 right, the one you missed was the CM just prior to the that, 3218485V1. There was a very small track in that one that you missed. You can hardly be blamed, it was tiny.

Thanks for the report. It lends evidence to my suspicion that scores may have a slight lag time in updating.

-Bryan
- RUSH
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

movie # 1727143V1
Clicked on "No Track"
17 august 20:46 UT
User ID wolter

looking back i see a tiny spot on 190,255 which is a bit dodgy, if that is the track i do need to see a orthoptist.

a spot on 415,280 i interpreted as an inclusion
Just dusting... Image
stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

movie # 8203996V1
Clicked on a track at 363, 193
17 august 22:30 UTC
User ID stardust1

This was the only track to click on in that pos. CM but got an error.
Looking back several movies there was nothing questionable (possible missed CMs which could have been scored with a delay according to the above theory).

Thank a lot for looking at.
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Hi,
1756565V1 I clicked on this movie at 208, 98 and did not get a point.
8301030V1 Next movie up had a 209, 97 at the end.
6960276V1 Clicked no track and my misses went up by one.
475173V1 next movie up had a -1, -1 at the end.

I did not get credit for a good click and got a miss later.

10:15 pm PDT 17Aug2007 fjgiie
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

The time is wrong on above post, shold be 7:15 PDT. I think that was eastern above.
Star Gezzer

incorect scoring

Post by Star Gezzer »

This movie has gotten me twice. I clicked at 106-208 where the little square is and was given a incorrect positive CM. Bad focus from now on!