FOUR questions !

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Martin Whillock

FOUR questions !

Post by Martin Whillock »

These movies - 5627811V1 and 2453289V1 (and others) show several small 'track rings' which are not as big or as distinct as a 'real' track. I have started marking these as No Tracks - is that the right move ?

I have only seen 200 films but have 'found' about 25 'tracks' already. Is it possible that 10% of the films have real tracks ?

What does 'Your Overall Score' number mean ? What is this number ?

I am giving an illustrated lecture soon at our Society, about Stardust. I have been trying to get a sample of Aerogel but can not find the maker - any suggestions ?
I am a member of York Astronomical Society in England. Visit us at www.yorkastro.co.uk
Wolter
DustMod

Re: FOUR questions !

Post by Wolter »

Martin Whillock wrote:These movies - 5627811V1 and 2453289V1 (and others) show several small 'track rings' which are not as big or as distinct as a 'real' track. I have started marking these as No Tracks - is that the right move ?

I have only seen 200 films but have 'found' about 25 'tracks' already. Is it possible that 10% of the films have real tracks ?

What does 'Your Overall Score' number mean ? What is this number ?

I am giving an illustrated lecture soon at our Society, about Stardust. I have been trying to get a sample of Aerogel but can not find the maker - any suggestions ?
In my opinion there are no tracks in the movies you mentioned.
If there is a little spec on top of the surface (earthly dust or a tiny bit of aerogel) and you go down in focus you will notice that this spec goes out of focus which looks like the circles you see. They keep growing bigger while getting fainter.
Real tracks should remain in focus and keep sharp edges.

On the total of 700.000 movies anyting from 40 till 100 tracks are expected. So 10% is somewhat optimistic.
However up to 1 in 3 movies is a calibration movie, many of them contain tracks. These don't show up in your myevents list, so if you have 25 allready in your myevents list i suggest you should run through the tutorial again.

your overal score is the result of the number of calibration movies you got correct minus the number of calibration movies you got wrong.

for buying a piece of aerogel see: http://unitednuclear.com/aerogel.htm

All this information (and many more) is allready available in one off the threads on this forum. It sometimes takes a little time but a good search will save you the need for waiting on an answer. :lol:
Just dusting... Image
Sharqua
DustMod

Re: FOUR questions !

Post by Sharqua »

Wolter wrote:for buying a piece of aerogel see: http://unitednuclear.com/aerogel.htm
Wolter,

You are an evil, EVIL man.

::sighs happily and waits patiently for her aerogel to arrive in the mail::

:mrgreen:
cthiker

Post by cthiker »

Per Wolter's suggestion (and Sharqua's interest!), see the following topic...

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=147

Hope that helps!!!