What will you name it?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

brandofo

Post by brandofo »

I will name my firstborn, be he a man or a woman, Blues Image.

Blues Image Burgundy... rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?
Aga

Post by Aga »

Hi,

I haven't really thought about a name for my particle, assuming I'll manage to find one. Of course, like everybody else, I hope I do find at least one.
:D

Naming the particle something significant for everyone is a great idea, however if someone decides to name it differently, even "Fluffy", that's entirely up to them and, in my opinion, no one should consider it inappropriate or silly.

Good luck to everyone!
eeergo

Post by eeergo »

I think I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to call it like me :roll:

But well, when I find one, if I do (yesyesyes,please!!), I suppose I'll have lots of doubts and millions of names will appear in my mind...

I'm anxious to get my eyes in the actual images too! We'll have to wait until June though...:(
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Aga wrote:Naming the particle something significant for everyone is a great idea, however if someone decides to name it differently, even "Fluffy", that's entirely up to them and, in my opinion, no one should consider it inappropriate or silly.
I agree that what they choose to name it is entirely up to them and no matter what anyone names their particle, it won't please everyone. But we've already had one point of view of naming his particle something absurd (Siegfried - Vinny the Rock). Of course Fluffy would be silly, so would Vinny! That is why the name would be chosen. I gave my opinion of what I would do, and others gave theirs, that's what this is for! I like the idea of a meaningful name and one of the reasons is for the researches giving their reports. Now, they may just be like Siegfreid and want to announce Vinny has been found! If Vinny is the name of the particle, then Vinny it is. Like I said, they knew the risks when they gave us the choice. If they wanted all noble and purposeful names, they would have done it themselves. I'm sure we'll have some serious, some silly, some family, some obscure, ect. That will be the fun.

Oh, and Siegfried, when I told my husband your suggestion, he got a big kick out of it! Said something about not taking life too seriously....
From dust we come
Aga

Post by Aga »

Yeah, when the project ends, we'll have a variety of all kinds of names, that's for sure!

:)
brandofo

Post by brandofo »

On second thought, I will probably name it The Fonz.

"Aaaaaay"
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Nikita wrote:Oh, and Siegfried, when I told my husband your suggestion, he got a big kick out of it! Said something about not taking life too seriously....
No, not me! Best have some fun before I swap my Hawaiian shirts for a tweed suit and my telescope for a blackboard. Not that I dislike tweed suits or physics lectures...
Which reminds me, I have to go collect the shirt I made in my Digital Art class. Has a picture of Mars and says "SETI's Most Wanted".

Your grandson's name is Brendan, DustTrailFinder? Wow, same spelling as mine! Not too common, like Evanns with two "n's".
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Oograh Boike

Post by Oograh Boike »

[quote="Nikita"]And here we see SD2006-a, otherwise known as Fluffy." :oops: [/quote]

LOL! Another option would be to honour Mr Sagan. SD2006-a, aka "I'd like to name this after my wife. She's a b****, but I still love her". Nah, better find out the b's name first :wink:
Other thoughts: characters out of Doulas Adams' works (Zaphod? Trillian?), or even Terry Pratchetts (Rincewind? Great A'Tuin?)
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

My two dust grains:
Tristan and Isolde. :D

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
brandofo

Post by brandofo »

What about naming the first two particles Britney Spears and Kevin Federline?
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Who's that? :?

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Zovacor

Post by Zovacor »

Did anyone hear of the scientist who discovered a new species of algae or something and auctioned the right to name the species on EBay and put the proceeds of the sale to further research? Good idea? Bad idea? Applicable here?
I dont necessarily believe in the commercialization of science (think: Anabaena pepsi) but it does pay for continued work...
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Hmm...
Well, I guess it depends on preference.

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
the martian

Post by the martian »

Guybrush Treepwood - a mighty pirate :wink:
I am sure that you remeber him.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
DustTrailFinder

Post by DustTrailFinder »

Siegfried wrote: Your grandson's name is Brendan, DustTrailFinder? Wow, same spelling as mine! Not too common, like Evanns with two "n's".
Yep, Brendan, that's his name, too. He's my youngest grandchild at 3 years of age.

I have to say that at your age I loved physics, chemistry, geometry, and mathematics in high school. Being a nerd I still managed to get the attention of the cheerleaders and other cuties, though, because they wanted help with these subjects. But, alas, that was all they wanted from me.

Good luck to you on your starparticle searches!