SAY "HI" TO THE COMMUNITY

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

DustBuster wrote:That's really close! It's not correct Spanish or even a Spanish saying; it's poor English slang translated to Spanish...

"Got any egg money, home chicken?"
So we are as close to the meaning of that idiom as at the beginning.

Tengo ninguna idea de que me hablas. :roll:

P.S. I thougt the Spanish word for eggs is huevos?
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)
Jwb52z

Post by Jwb52z »

I thought he was saying, "Do you have a nest egg, chicken coup?"
stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

Hi Jwb52z,
thank you for your attempt!
Jwb52z wrote:I thought he was saying, "Do you have a nest egg, chicken coup?"
Though, this phrase remains "Spain" (Chinese?) to me in the context it was written.

Fortunately most people used to international business, scientific or private communication (of course not foreign literature) are more interested in being understood than in profiling. Those honestly try to express themeselves understandable and thus avoiding slang or hard to capture idiomatic expressions (and if: explaining them). Makes it much easier to break down language barriers. Even (and in particular) for translation robots.

Thanks,
-stardust1
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

kin_der wrote:
DustBuster wrote:That's really close! It's not correct Spanish or even a Spanish saying; it's poor English slang translated to Spanish...

"Got any egg money, home chicken?"
Is it specificity phrase? I do not understand perfectly this phrase. What is "egg money" (что за яичные деньги)? It is golden eggs?
It is a very obscure reference... similar to money put aside for a special need or occasion (or nest egg). And you may have heard the term "home boy" as a reference to a close friend; well, since we're talking about eggs, it's "home chicken"!

stardust1:
As for 'j'uevos or 'h'uevos, I don't know- I didn't Babelfish it and I don't speak Spanish (well, I live in California and I can order food in Spanish, but I don't have to spell it- If it comes down to it, I guess I could act out a chicken laying an egg!)
kin_der

Post by kin_der »

DustBuster wrote:It is a very obscure reference... similar to money put aside for a special need or occasion (or nest egg). And you may have heard the term "home boy" as a reference to a close friend; well, since we're talking about eggs, it's "home chicken"!
Image Thanks!
Jwb52z

Post by Jwb52z »

I guess that means I was the closest and I should have thought about the phrase "home boy".
stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

DustBuster wrote:stardust1:
As for 'j'uevos or 'h'uevos, I don't know (...) If it comes down to it, I guess I could act out a chicken laying an egg!
There is no difficulty to figure out the "eggs" out of your phrase. The problem is the meaning of the phrase itself. (Let's keep that hush-hush, as obviously intended, OK?) :wink:

Here are some links for all our "not-native-American-speaking-friends"* to handle the more "iffy" lingual difficulties (would not have helped in this case):
http://www.englishdaily626.com/idioms.php
http://www.rong-chang.com/idioms.htm
http://www.rootsweb.com/~genepool/amerispeak/index.htm

* to get a number of those:
http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html

Thanks.
fjgiie
DustMod

Knock a board off the outhouse

Post by fjgiie »

To stardust1,

Well knock a board off the outhouse stardust1, you shore are right ! Those help me to understand and I live in the US.

fjgiie
Ingesson

Post by Ingesson »

hi Stardust,

I am new here and hope that I can meet here people that share my interests too...

I come from Berlin and am interested in Music and celebrity...

ok, that it was,

best regards
Ingo

------
mike foster

@home

Post by mike foster »

Just thought I'd draw a parallel from my recent experience at Burning Man. Most Burners eventually ask other Burners, "What impressed you the most (this year, last year, etc.)?" Meaning, of course, the art or some event. A friend of mine, after I was going off about this or that art or event, said the thing that impressed her the most was, "The dust." And, for sure, EVERYONE at Burning Man deals with the dust, it is a constant, it is everywhere and in everything, one eats it and breathes it and smells it and sees it and tries to wipe it off. But it will not wipe off, not for long. And, so, one wears it with pride tempered with humility.

As if there wasn't already enough dust in the world, here we go, looking for more, from out of the world. I tried to explain it to another friend the other day. He didn't get it, why millions of dollars and hours go into this project, this kind of project, while poverty/war/intolerance/you name it needs those same millions, probably more. And he's been to Burning Man, five times at least, where untold millions of dollars and hours go to raise the dust. Try to explain the interstellar dust to someone who hasn't been there? Do any of you who haven't been to Burning Man understand the desert dust now? For that matter, any who have?

Thanks for the opportunity. I've only looked at a hundred real movies, caught a glimpse of that new dust a few times. Didn't look like much. Not yet.
Senator

Post by Senator »

8) Greetings fellow StarDusters,

I'm currently living in San Diego, California in the US (I say currently because I never know where I will be living next).

I am very happy to see such an international community working on such a worthwhile project. While I would really enjoy finding a bit of space dust, there is a great deal of satisfaction in just knowing I am part of this project and helping to make it sucessful. It is a real challenge to participate in the hunt and it is fun.
Jackie

I'm glad there people like you outhere!

Post by Jackie »

Hi everybody,

I'm glad that there are people outhere investing their time on the search for interstellar particles and not only for the newest clothes :-)

In my opinion this project makes a contribution to see that we're only a small part of the whole (I didn't find an analogy in the dictionary, sorry :-)) and maybe this awareness will be elementary for all of us, for the whole humankind.

Stay curious and never lose a little humbleness towards the wonder of life!

All the best!
Jackie
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Wonderful greetings all!

It is amazing to be a part of this project. It is fun to tell people about it and wonder who we will be talking to in the future when we say, "A few years ago I searched for stardust in aerogel that was sent into space...."

It is a joy to hear from so many people across the world working together!

Best of luck to all of you!
Nikita
From dust we come
divee

Hi, I am divee

Post by divee »

This initiative is awesome. I read about it in Sky and telescope and I immediately signed up.
I am extremely intrested in science and as an artist it is very inspirational.
The universe is big enough
Glenn T. Picard

Dust in the interstellar wind.

Post by Glenn T. Picard »

Welcome to you all. Usually dust encounters come about by passive natural events. Nice to hear from you all posting communications as part of the concious bits. Not good at chatroom format. A few of us have a statement of existance orbiting Saturn abord Cassini in the form of personal name signature offered by JPL before launch...thanks team! Will try to get back into this room. Go explore!!! Glenn 4 Nov, '006