TWO more questions

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Martin Whillock

TWO more questions

Post by Martin Whillock »

1. How do I recognise a calibration movie /
2. I am trying to recruit more searchers. Having an Aerogel sample would help - could Stardust send me a bit ? I can't afford to buy any !
I am a member of York Astronomical Society in England. Visit us at www.yorkastro.co.uk
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: TWO more questions

Post by DustBuster »

Martin Whillock wrote:1. How do I recognise a calibration movie /
2. I am trying to recruit more searchers. Having an Aerogel sample would help - could Stardust send me a bit ? I can't afford to buy any !
Hi Martin.

Firstly, after you click on a calibration movie, your "answered correctly" or "answered incorrectly" should increment by one immediately.
Secondly, others have stated that the 'look' of some of the calibration movies is a dead giveaway. If you are not able to spot them this way, it may become more obvious to you with more hours logged on the VM.

Hope that helps.
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Martin Whillock wrote:2. I am trying to recruit more searchers. Having an Aerogel sample would help - could Stardust send me a bit ? I can't afford to buy any !
Hello! And welcome!

Aerogel is available commercially in the United States, but it is EXTREMELY expensive. A piece the size of a quarter runs about 50 dollars U.S.

I would be extremely surprised if Berkeley had any kind of a supply of this stuff, as the space portion of the project is not based out of that university.

Regards,

-Shar
Last edited by Sharqua on Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cthiker

Post by cthiker »

Sharqua wrote:Aerogel is available commercially in the United States, but it is EXTREMELY expensive.
Martin - you may want to see other posts on aerogel, such as...

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=147

...or search the forum for "aerogel" and "buy". Bottom line, tho - the stuff ain't cheap!

Hope that helps, and Happy Dusting!