What sizes of aerogel?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Valar

What sizes of aerogel?

Post by Valar »

HEIGTHxWIDTHxDEPTH
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Valar,

Your question is a little unclear, but I'll take a shot at what you might mean...

The images we are looking at are approximately 500 microns wide (five times the little scale at the bottom of the VM screen).

If I remember my metric system correctly, that places the images we are examining at approximately .5 millimeters. That's about the head of a pin.

Anyone else feel free to correct me. I don't work with micron measurements on a daily basis. <laugh>

-Shar
Valar

Post by Valar »

I wished to find out what full sizes of aerogel. It is a cube, the cylinder or something else?
icestation

Post by icestation »

Comet and interstellar particles are collected in ultra low density aerogel. More than 1,000 square centimeters of collection area is provided for each type of particle, (cometary and interstellar). The collector tray contains ninety blocks of aerogel in a metal grid. The appearance of the grid has been likened to an ice cube tray; the round collector is about the size of a tennis racket

that was taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_( ... collectors
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Valar wrote:I wished to find out what full sizes of aerogel. It is a cube, the cylinder or something else?
Ah, gotcha.

The surface area is approximately 1000 square centimeters. It is in cubes.

Here's a nice article giving more details.

http://www.planetary.org/programs/proje ... story.html
KarMann

Post by KarMann »

icestation wrote:that was taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_( ... collectors
Linkfix for you.
Let it never be said that your **** retentive attention to detail never yielded positive results. - Loki, Dogma
icebike

Post by icebike »

Valar wrote:I wished to find out what full sizes of aerogel. It is a cube, the cylinder or something else?
Comet and interstellar particles are collected in ultra low density aerogel. More than 1,000 square centimeters of collection area is provided for each type of particle, (cometary and interstellar). The collector tray contains ninety blocks of aerogel in a metal grid. The appearance of the grid has been likened to an ice cube tray; the round collector is about the size of a tennis racket.

Valar

Post by Valar »

Thanks for links :)
KarMann

Post by KarMann »

Still nothing about the depth in all that info, though. Anybody know anything about that? That's what I was most curious about.
Let it never be said that your **** retentive attention to detail never yielded positive results. - Loki, Dogma
Valar

Post by Valar »

KarMann wrote:Still nothing about the depth in all that info, though. Anybody know anything about that? That's what I was most curious about.
By pictures of centimeters 5-10
ZackG
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Aerogel Depth

Post by ZackG »

The interstellar tiles are about a centimeter deep. These are the ones you're looking at with Stardust at home. The cometary tiles are about 2 1/2 cm deep which is about an inch. They have to be a little deeper because the comet particles are bigger than the interstellar particles. The surface area (width x length) is generally the more "important" parameter because that determines how many particles we get. The depth just has to be deep enough to capture the particles and not let them punch through the other side.
Zack Gainsforth
Space Sciences Laboratory
UC Berkeley
icebike

Re: Aerogel Depth

Post by icebike »

ZackG wrote:The interstellar tiles are about a centimeter deep. These are the ones you're looking at with Stardust at home.
So how hard is the gel. I've seen pictures of objects laying on top of the gel, but its hard to know how gently they were put there.

If I dropped a BB from a kids bb-gun from a foot above would it sink in? A meter above?
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

I see a interplanetary dust particle.. It's up there on the picture !

:wink:

While we are on the subject I was under the impression that there was one collector. Front and back surfaces and at the direction of travel One side for stardust and one side for comet dust. Is that how it was set up or two collectors bolted together?