Should we still flag likely inclusions?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

elainekeefe

Should we still flag likely inclusions?

Post by elainekeefe »

Three of the movies on my Events List were marked as inclusions. I suspect most if not all of the ones I have selected have similar qualities. Does the Stardust team want us to continue flagging these "dots"? Avoiding them would certainly cut down on the number of Events to be checked, though it also might mean missing a genuine track. Not sure what to do here.
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

Untill the team publishes otherwise keep on going as you are.
Just dusting... Image
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Wolter wrote:Untill the team publishes otherwise keep on going as you are.
Thank you. Will do.
Howie

I must have missed this???

Post by Howie »

Hi There,

Can someone point me to the URL or post that shows a Inclusion???

or is it Incursion???
TimStrange
DustMod

Post by TimStrange »

Here you go:
Movie 714410V1 is an example of multiple tiny black dots below the aerogel surface. They are incredibly subtle, but many of you are finding them.
We think they are probably inclusions in the aerogel (from the manufacturing process), partly because they are so numerous, and partly because they look like particles, and not like tracks made by particles. They are less likely candidates to be interstellar, but intriguing nontheless. We have logged the coordinates for a number of these black dots and we will continue trying to verify their origin.
714410V1
Howie

Thanks

Post by Howie »

Thank You!!!
Howie

Ok, Help me here please???

Post by Howie »

Just viewed it and...

Are you talking about the clump of dots in the middle? Plus...

This is a calibration movie with a track on the left???
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

I don't believe this is a calibration movie, as they are supposed to be inaccessible after the fact.

If you move your focus bar down to the very bottom of the bar, two inclusions come into view. One is slightly down-left of center, and the other is nearly to the left-hand edge, slightly out of focus at the bottom of the focus bar.

Hope this helps :)

-Shar
Howie

Thanks Thanks Thanks

Post by Howie »

Got it!!!

What I have been finding and clicking lately!!!

The 2 black dots that appear below surface blurred focus they appear!!!
minkiemink

Post by minkiemink »

Ok.....I have been clicking on these......I guess I will continue. Thanks for the example.

Minkie
“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched”
-Henry David Thoreau
Howie

Hi Mink

Post by Howie »

Hi MinkMink,

Are you not the person they appologized to, with the big numbers???

How you do it??? Mamma Mia!!! :roll:
Howie

To All that may have missed this like I did!!!

Post by Howie »

minkiemink

Post by minkiemink »

Hi Howie...

I started early, and apparently, a little too quickly. In any case, I advocated early on that they do away with the Calibration Movies and the scores after a volunteer has reached a certain point in viewing.

Those calibration movies can be deceptive, as is evidenced by this thread. Checking the examples on the forum is really helpful, as you will find all kinds of things that others think are tracks that you may never have thought of. The link that you just posted is a good help too.

Good luck dusting....

Minkie
“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched”
-Henry David Thoreau
endust

WHAT DO WE DO?

Post by endust »

I started a thread under "problems and solutions" before I saw that this thread had already started on the topic. We locked the other thread. My post was:

Ok I just got a response on my My Events list that stated that one of the movies that I marked was "Not Extraterrestrial" and was an inclusion.

As many others have, whenever I have run into a dot that focuses sub surface, I have marked them realizing that they are probably terrestrial dust but.....

My question, and it is to the scientific team even though duster comments are welcome, is, should we continue to mark these or should we "no track" them.

I think most of the experienced observers (> than 1000 movies) realize as I did that its probably only a dust particle but now we are getting confirmations.

Marking probable terrestrial dust will increase the work load on everyone and if its worth it, fine, but if they aren't what we're looking for we need to know.

Thanks all and keep dusting
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

I began this post (top of page) with a query as to whether we should continue to flag likely inclusions. Now, after a few days, I find there are hardly any "inclusions" in this batch of movies! I have only flagged three or four movies in the last few days. Are others finding this also?