"I think I've found a track, what do you think?"

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

farpung

Post by farpung »

buddhabuddha wrote: farpung...interesting...would like to go a few frames deeper because the circle of the possible track comes into focus at the same time as a lot of the rest of the surface. I think I would have marked this as bad focus.
Good point that the possible track in http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =7937104V1. comes into focus at the same time as a lot of the rest of the surface (in other parts of the screen), but if you zoom out about 9 bars from the bottom, you see a tiny dot that is right on the edge of what will become the "track" further down. That dot cannot be up in the air, so I conclude that it is on or near the surface, and that the "track" is well below it.

Interestingly, some of the calibration movies have small specks very close to the track, sometimes coming into focus below the surface. Presumably they are minute dust that fell on the surface after the collector was retrieved, sometimes falling partway down the track.
rbolo28

New to this but..

Post by rbolo28 »

I am new to this but I have spotted many tracks and flagged them. Tracks are easy to spot! You start out of focus on the top layer of the gel which is with the focus all the way to the bottom of the page.

Next you quickly scan the initial image for a characteristic black ring shape which might be oval or circular. then you gentle focus upward and into the gel. If it is a real particle then it will begin to explode and disappear!

I have found maybe 35 such particles. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is going to look at what I've found.

but, yeah..you can tell by looking at the surface layer if it is broken or not with a black ring or scar.
icebike

Re: New to this but..

Post by icebike »

rbolo28 wrote: You start out of focus on the top layer of the gel which is with the focus all the way to the bottom of the page.
Huh?

Back to the tutroial for you.....
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: New to this but..

Post by DustBuster »

rbolo28 wrote:I am new to this but I have spotted many tracks and flagged them. Tracks are easy to spot! You start out of focus on the top layer of the gel which is with the focus all the way to the bottom of the page.
Hi rbolo28.

Are you sure you are describing your method correctly?
You should move your mouse over the focus bars until you bring the surface into focus; ideally this would be above the middle area of the focus bars. Then you focus down to peer beneath the surface.
If the surface is coming into focus when you are at the bottom of the focus bars, then it should be marked 'bad focus' (since you can't go any lower into the gel).

Here is the reference to the tutorial page that the other user was referring to (in his own special way).
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_number=1

I hope this helps
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
navelmaniac

Post by navelmaniac »

Hello

I had not the courage to read all the posts in this thread. Was this movie already discussed?
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =6226032V1

The focus should go lower to be more specific, but it looks like we have five objects below surface, here. I wonder how it will show on the stats, if each person click on a different object? Do the numbers 56 out of 132 (to date) reflects 56 people clicking on the same object, or the same movie?
Here is a pic of the objects I saw so you can check on the movie...
"So? Stun them all, God will recognize his own."
jsmaje

specks beside tracks

Post by jsmaje »

farpung wrote:Interestingly, some of the calibration movies have small specks very close to the track, sometimes coming into focus below the surface. Presumably they are minute dust that fell on the surface after the collector was retrieved, sometimes falling partway down the track.
I have noticed this too, and that the specks seem more common beside small tracks rather than large, which would fit with something getting caught in the narrow neck of the track. However, such specks seem to remain at a noticeable (albeit small) distance from the track, which can often be in focus at the same level though continuing deeper.
If not dust falling into the track, does anyone have any other ideas? Since these are calibration movies, the team must have analysed them in some detail; it would be good to hear their conclusions.
lordaragorn

Post by lordaragorn »

buddhabuddha wrote: My lonely tiny track is now "1" out of 125. Check out the last few frames a couple of microns from the bottom left of the larger square thingy... probably just an inclusion but I guess I'm the only one who sees it...
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =4238001V1

buddhabuddha
(99+%, 99+%)
i don't think you're the only one who see this dot. but i would say "no track": it's too far from surface, so i think it's a bubble. for 99+%, i would say :wink: but to be 100% sure, you would need to go deeper with the focus.

navelmaniac:
i would say they are particle and not tracks. so they were there bevor the aerogel left the earth..
navelmaniac

Post by navelmaniac »

lordaragorn wrote:i would say they are particle and not tracks. So they were there before the aerogel left the earth..
Yep, I didn't say they are tracks, doesn't look like the calibrations. But as ultimately we're looking for dust...

I just wonder now: they made tests with particles accelerated at very high speed. What would be the result of a particle entering the aerogel at a few m/s only? Should we see a track? Should we see the dust?
"So? Stun them all, God will recognize his own."
tim_yoda

Post by tim_yoda »

I found three sub-surface anomolies in this movie.
I flagged it for its unique appearance below the surface. The teardrop shape suggests an angular entry, but needs deeper focus/scrutiny.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =9590097V1
photon

Post by photon »

tim_yoda wrote:I found three sub-surface anomolies in this movie.
I flagged it for its unique appearance below the surface. The teardrop shape suggests an angular entry, but needs deeper focus/scrutiny.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =9590097V1
I disagree, they're surface features. You can see how they are in focus with the rest of the surface features and go out of focus the same way as the rest of the surface features. If they were below the surface they would get more in focus as you went down rather than more out of focus.
YOMAR_II

Is this a track???? movie id=7120768V1

Post by YOMAR_II »

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =7120768V1

Look at the top right corner.

by the way, it matters if marks one or another track?
joot

woohoo - low velocity impact?!

Post by joot »

Please check this out:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... d=305392V1

Only 30 out of 115 have flagged what's coming in from the left side. Not only is it a line going diagonally into the gel, it appears to end in a bulbous thing that looks just like a calibration movie. Oh, if only the focus went a couple bars deeper! Still, this is the best looking one I have actually rated. I want to say YIPPEE!!!

What do you think???

-Joot
joot

P.S.

Post by joot »

I wish there were a "confidence meter" that went with the rating as "track or not". Many of the "tracks" I mark ... I realize are probably inclusions... as itty bitty specks that don't really resemble the calibration movies -- but we've been told to basically mark anything interesting or coming into focus sub-surface. I wish there were a way for the rater to express "what's that" vs. "ennh maybe" vs. "holy cow!". The above vid I posted is the only one I have rated so far I would give a "holy cow!" rating. I hope they check it out with a higher power scope soon, but worry that the low flagging rate will de-prioritize it.

-Joot
jcbc

Re: woohoo - low velocity impact?!

Post by jcbc »

Looks interesting to me. :)

JCBC
jcbc

Re: P.S.

Post by jcbc »

joot wrote:I hope they check it out with a higher power scope soon, but worry that the low flagging rate will de-prioritize it.
I wouldn't worry about it too much; just have to be patient... the aerogel isn't going anywhere (I hope!). Here's a similar one that is actually the second event in my list: 9982449V1. It's currently at 41 agreements in 132 views.

JCBC