"I found a cute, funny, interesting, etc. movie"

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

goldrake

Post by goldrake »

PolyMath wrote:
Are cats & babies allowed in the clean room?
No! Obviously cats and babies are in the interstellar space :wink:
Zoinks

Post by Zoinks »

Space spiders?
Look out!
Uncovering the universe, one step at a time.
tim_yoda

not enough deep focus...

Post by tim_yoda »

could be an impact crater, there seems to be more in-depth, but focus is too shallow.
goldrake

Re: not enough deep focus...

Post by goldrake »

tim_yoda wrote:
could be an impact crater, there seems to be more in-depth, but focus is too shallow.
If it is an impact crater because of dust, why it isn't not so deep like the examples?
The crater seems very superficial.

Sorry for my english!
WeBeGood

Post by WeBeGood »

^^^Moved up^^^
Last edited by WeBeGood on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icebike

Post by icebike »

PolyMath wrote:
Im also interested to see the answer about the micron scale calibration, seems like when there is a calibration movie it soooo obvious, the tracks seem huge. Then I find myself trying to determine on real movies if a tiny spec might be dust or not.
That is my ulterior motive for posting this thread. To see if anyone is intersted in exploring that possibility.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but unless people more knowledgable than me come forward with rational explanations of what this item is we must pay heed to Occam's Razor, and are thereby left with the most straightforward explanation: that it is a hair, probably human.

But that opens a whole can of worms about the scale factor.

As of this point in time, its the elephant in the room that nobody wants to notice.
Last edited by icebike on Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geckzilla

Post by geckzilla »

Link outside of stardust:
http://carnicom.com/micro2b.htm

This is a bunch of photos of various fibers. The measurements may or may not be accurate but the images of the fibers/hairs are good for comparison against things you may find in the movies.
WeBeGood

Post by WeBeGood »

^^Moved Up^^
Last edited by WeBeGood on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @ WeBeGood@GMail.Com
icebike

Post by icebike »

WeBeGood wrote:
Calm down. To me, it looks like a metal sliver that would come off a lathe or mill. It probably fell off the new microscope they have.
Oh, don't worry, I'm quite calm. I raise this issue and solicited speculation precisely to avoid the appearance of being alarmed about it. Its a curiosity.

Metal sliver might well be a possibility, The lathe millings from metal that I have seen are pretty jagged, but I have never seen one at this microscopic scale, so who knows. It could be a metal sliver dislodged when the door of the spacecraft opened or closed.

It could also be a perfectly normal item to be found in space, perhaps caused my impact-melting and ejection of tiny particles impacting on the spacecraft body, or a trick being played on us by the camera team, for all I know.

We were warned to expect the unexpected.
geckzilla

Post by geckzilla »

The fiber just looks like a random fiber to me. Even if they dressed in latex suits before handling the aerogel (or using equipment to handle aerogel? I admit it, I have no idea what the procedures are to keep it clean) something would probably land on the suits and then fall off into the aerogel. I can easily spot fibers hanging off the end of my cotton shirt's sleeve which are obviously much thinner than a human hair. :)
icebike

Post by icebike »

geckzilla wrote:I can easily spot fibers hanging off the end of my cotton shirt's sleeve which are obviously much thinner than a human hair. :)
[ me: fumbles around reaching for glasses... Checks for space dust on shirt sleeve...] :lol:
Martino

Hair-like fiber

Post by Martino »

A pretty good job finding and stitching together adjacent focus movies!

There are many kinds of fibers smaller than and more common than human hairs. All that lint that is constantly flying off clothing, getting on indoor surfaces and plugging up the lint trap in the dryer, the result of the slow erosion of your clothing. Nylon, polyester, you name it.
Martino

Weird space creepy-crawly

Post by Martino »

Meanwhile, this one gave me a start... !

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =4527461V1
Nikita
DustMod

Re: Weird space creepy-crawly

Post by Nikita »

Martino wrote:Meanwhile, this one gave me a start... !

Oh, wow! That one is ugly! :lol:
From dust we come
geckzilla

Re: Weird space creepy-crawly

Post by geckzilla »

Nikita wrote:
Martino wrote:Meanwhile, this one gave me a start... !

Oh, wow! That one is ugly! :lol:
What if the only thing we ever find in these things are new species of... things? flying around in the air? :lol:

Edit: Two layers?? Usually, you can sort of see what the dirt is sitting on top of, or the hole that it's sitting inside of. This one confuses me, though. It looks like there's two layers. Maybe even another layer above the top one.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =1677601V1