Stardust@home Suggestion Thread

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

afwxgeek

Click To Disable Images

Post by afwxgeek »

We should be able to click on a particular frame on the focus bar to disable errant images. Many movies have one or two frames at the bottom that skip to some other random spot in the aerogel and it ruins my concentration on the movie I'm trying to view. I don't think the change would be too difficult as it's already a commonly used function on most weather satellite programs and web sites.
Dave Burbank

Post by Dave Burbank »

How about also using the scroll wheel to focus the movies. My wrist can get pretty sore after going through a bunch of movies. If there was an area on-screen where you put your cursor to activate the wheel it might make it easier to view more movies.
icebike

Post by icebike »

Dave Burbank wrote:How about also using the scroll wheel to focus the movies. My wrist can get pretty sore after going through a bunch of movies. If there was an area on-screen where you put your cursor to activate the wheel it might make it easier to view more movies.
You are asking them to re-write your web browser.

The beauty of this interface is that it uses standard web browsers and therefore it works on all platforms.

They utilize the "on mouseover" feature to detect where your mouse is and display that frame. This is a standard feature of virtually every browser on every platform.

Handling of the scroll wheel on the other hand is nowhere near as well standardized in browsers or on platforms.

This is a bad idea, and would un-necessarily complicate the interface.
icebike

Re: Click To Disable Images

Post by icebike »

afwxgeek wrote:We should be able to click on a particular frame on the focus bar to disable errant images. Many movies have one or two frames at the bottom that skip to some other random spot in the aerogel and it ruins my concentration on the movie I'm trying to view. I don't think the change would be too difficult as it's already a commonly used function on most weather satellite programs and web sites.
That's a good idea, and probably not too hard to do.

I'd like the bars to be WIDER and CLOSER to the image. My mouse drifts off the focus bar sometimes.
pointyhat

Gallery of high scoring false positives?

Post by pointyhat »

As the project progresses will the Stardust team make available a gallery of movies in which many people thought they saw a track, but which the experts believe is not worth following up?
gamalmfalyii

Post by gamalmfalyii »

That actually sounds like a good idea but I highly doubt something like that will happen if there haven't even been a couple of movies with some flagged spots that have "officially" been looked at.
pointyhat

Post by pointyhat »

Not yet, but the project hasn't been up and running very long.....
BenTrem

Great documentation!

Post by BenTrem »

FWIW I've done MIL-SPEC avionics R&D tech_docs; I appreciate what it takes to put something like this together. (I say I'm compulsive. *grin*)

cheers
When you look to see how the system works
Likely you will find that it does not.
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Yes icebike, had that a couple of times ;-)

Also a button for "Interesting Artifact" (lower priority in the context of this project, but perhaps worth looking at.

And a button for completely empty movies. Get them out of the samples.
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
Cyphers1011

Post by Cyphers1011 »

Something that I would like to see is a message that tells you that the image is loaded or what percent. I missed one of the calibrations because it did not load completely before starting to load the one in queue. After it was done with the one in queue it finished loading the rest of the original. The part the track was in did not show up until it was completely loaded. I saw it show up just as I hit the no track button. It was one of those special slow mo moments too with the Noooo!!! sound effects. heehee I make sure to watch for this occurance now but it would have been nice to know about it right away. I was quite bummed when I missed that calibration track. It is my only miss so that makes it a thorn of sorts.

Also some way to improve the resolution. The resolution of the computer at home is great but I can't even get a picture that doesn't look like 2 bit graphics here at work.
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Cyphers,

Size of the blue bars tells you if it's loaded. Sometimes... alright a little more often than sometimes, it gets 'almost done' like what you've described. Some people have suggested the images load bottom to top since that's where the action is ;-)
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
templar781

Post by templar781 »

Bump to keep this thread going. Best idea so far is to make this topic sticky. It also looks like several people want more forums started. Odd shapes seem to be a popular non-science topic so maybe they could start a StarArt@home forum. That would satisfy a need and get the non-science hits off the regular forum.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is. - Vince Lombardi
Snoopy

Post by Snoopy »

I back jamespels and WeBeGoods suggestions of an option to remove accidentially flags from myevents and to have a second bar to mark were the surface really is in the movie.
Additionally I'd like to have a range of values to flag a movie, e.g. a scale to express the flag is for a bigone hit for sure or it's more likely an inclusion or just some fade shadow. Might improve the sifting.
RGtx

Post by RGtx »

A minor detail, perhaps, but I would like the focus bars to track the movie frame, a major change of colour would not be necessary, just a subtle change in luminance or hue would suffice to give positive feedback that the mouse is being correctly followed, (some movies are so featureless, that I can not be certain that the focus control is being correctly tracked).
KarMann

Post by KarMann »

A twofold suggestion:
Since you seem to be using at least some browser detection (e.g., the lack of confirmation popups in Firefox), and the preloading doesn't seem to do much/any good for those of us with Firefox (at least, I don't know if it's just Firefox or any non-IE), could the preloading be eliminated for the appropriate browsers? I know it slows me down because after the current stuff (re-)loads, I can't do much of anything with the focus bar until after the preloading.

Also, it would be rather nice to have a substitute for myevents_viewer.php that would work with the new IDs, so we can share movies with each other without having to either click things just to get them in our My Events lists (I hope nobody's doing that!!) or using the ss_virtual_microscope.php URL with all its extra baggage and the "unusual route" warning.
Maybe you can do this as a separate viewer page, or you could put in a page that translates the newer, longer IDs to the shorter ones which could be viewed. (I don't think anyone could find it help them score points faster by loading a second page for checking the ID for each movie they view.) Or perhaps the current myevents_viewer could be modified to work with the seven digit IDs. Whichever way, it'd be nice to have something.
Let it never be said that your **** retentive attention to detail never yielded positive results. - Loki, Dogma