Stardust Procedures for Tracks

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Kitten

Stardust Procedures for Tracks

Post by Kitten »

Once the research team receives notice tehre may be a track in a given sample they must test to see what it is...well, I assume ;)

I would ove to know more about the procedures used to scientifically identify tracks other than the naked eye method we're all using online.

What types of instruments are used? What kinds of readings/read-outs does the team expect for a positive identification?

Thanks,
Kitten<3
Tao is the Qualia of the Universe
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

!!! Somone else who has issues with tehir h's! And I thought it was just me.

Even details like how long the aerogel was exposed, what direction would particles have been most likely to come from, etc.

I'd also like to see statistical data on flagged movies. Real and callibrated.

And for that matter now that I'm thinking of 'improvements' the movies that we selected first should be highlighted or something, so we can see how our foundlings are shaping up! I've tried to keep track of the ones that I selected first. I was even, in one of my down times (I can't be looking at movies 24 hours a day!) tracking the changes in agreements.

No no, Azrieling. I DO have a life beyond dog-swinging-headless-ballerinas!
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
Kitten

Post by Kitten »

lol That's what happens when you are excited about something and type too fast. I've been clocked at typing over 70 words per minute =p

:? dog-swinging-headless-ballerinas?
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Hmm When I worked in a park years ago, I could rhyme of a set of rules for an activity (no gymnastics, etc). It became entertaining for kids waiting their turn. I could do 80 words in ten seconds. :-)

I speak quickly in class. Forces students to pay attention. I always tell them that people usually talk about 100 words per minute. I'm usually closer to 200. Then I assure them that most brains can handle upwards of 400. So no excuses.

;-)

I have no excuses for my h issue.
Kitten

Post by Kitten »

We're getting completely off topic waiting for a Stardust team to answer the original question, but anyways...the number of words the brain can handle depends upon the situation surrounding the input and the task at hand.

For example, the most our phonological buffer can handle tends to be about 7+/-2 words or numbers, this of course is more related to memory than actual language processing in the brain. (The phonological buffer explains why when you hear a novel phone number you repeat it over and over, and tend to be able to handle that.)

Some aphasia patients can handle no language processing what so ever, or forget their native language: never to process it again.

It also depends on the amount of stimuli the brain receives at the same time, dichotic listening tests being the main example here....

Can you tell what my area of study is? lol
LeeRyder

Post by LeeRyder »

NERDS!!!

:lol:
Don't sweat the small stuff. It's part of life, and no one gets out alive.
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Yeah. Phone numbers. Ick. I've taught myself to not memorise them. Generally if I hear one, I remember it. It's a curse. As for processing, I skewed all sorts of corny first year psych labs with anomolous results. And I... require lots of input (which is one of the reasons I was doing this with multiple windows open a couple of days ago. I often have book/TV/music on all at the same time.

Actually dichotic listening tests was one of the things I messed up. All these students who were so dominant on one side and through repeated trials were able to recall more and more words from both sides. Mine were almost same l/r and almost all every time. At one point my T.A. asked me to stop participating in the labs so that our write-ups would work properly.
Kitten

Post by Kitten »

LeeRyder wrote:NERDS!!!

Aren't we all nerds, [ and proud of it ;) ], by definition for being at this forum?
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

I assumed she meant you studied nerds. Not that we were. Wait... if you study nerds and are talking to me... HEY!
LeeRyder

Post by LeeRyder »

Kitten wrote:
LeeRyder wrote:NERDS!!!

Aren't we all nerds, [ and proud of it ;) ], by definition for being at this forum?
Exactly :)
Don't sweat the small stuff. It's part of life, and no one gets out alive.
navelmaniac

Post by navelmaniac »

So what about statistics on results? I'd love to see which movie is top candidate, how many movies candidate, how much agreement for each, which ones are being checked up on the real samples and so on...

I'd like to know also about the completion of the job. How much is still to be scanned? How much is still to be viewed by volunteers from StarDust@Home?
Because I think we are too much to see the same movies, according to the stats of the events, we are over 60 for each movie, and this number is increasing.
For me it can mean two things:
  1. - either there are too many volunteers for not enough material,
  1. - or the reliability of the system (the volunteers) is so poor that each movie must be viewed more and more to achieve enough reliability
Anyway, thanks for this stardust program, that's fun!
"So? Stun them all, God will recognize his own."
jcbc

Post by jcbc »

navelmaniac wrote:So what about statistics on results? I'd love to see which movie is top candidate, how many movies candidate, how much agreement for each, which ones are being checked up on the real samples and so on...
Well, we can't determine which are officially candidates by ourselves, but we can each list our own movie with the most agreements and that way we can get an unofficial feel for how things are going.

I have a movie that, as of right now, has been viewed 59 times and has 22 agreements; it has what looks like a lateral track with a dark particle at the end of it, below the surface. I've looked at about 200 real movies and that's the only real candidate that I have; the others that I have tagged just had weird things ("expect the unexpected").

Happy searching,
JCBC
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

And I have one, as mentioned in another thread, that I selected just to see how many flags it would have. It comes into focus in the bottom layer or two, and yet 8/21 have flagged it (38.1%) compared to your 37.3%. Just mentioning it as an indication of how unreliable we might be as a collective.

Also keep in mind that if someone flags the same movie more than once, that pads the stats (that we see anyway). I have one that has #0a as 8, but two of those (1/4) are both me since I'd seen that movie before.

And since, I'd wager, we have far more people over-flagging things like the movie I mentioned first, the longer the movies run, the more they will be flagged incorrectly.
jcbc

Post by jcbc »

Orion_0169 wrote:Also keep in mind that if someone flags the same movie more than once, that pads the stats (that we see anyway).
Wow, I didn't know you'd get the same movie more than once. Isn't that a bug?

JCBC
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

I would assume that for the most part the movies are being sent to you randomly. There have been a few times that I have recognised a movie taht I'd seen before. Given the sample size, it won't happen too often. But given the number of people doing this and the number of movies some have seen (I'm well over 5000 real movies, but with how many repeats?!?) you're bound to hear some people say they've seen a movie more than once. Must love probabilities.