Calibration Movies with track cheat

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Valar

Calibration Movies with track cheat

Post by Valar »

These movies differ from the others a little. In these pictures the greater degree of compression, therefore they not such clear-cut.
In that case always it is possible to determine movies with track.

For example:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/stardustathome. ... .d-034.jpg
giorgio-spada

Post by giorgio-spada »

Yes, I have notice that the calibration movies are vsomewhat different from the others. My eyes can see the difference very neatly...
Cheers from Italy
Giorgio
cleo1357

Post by cleo1357 »

After I had done a few, I realized that I knew there was a track before I had even seen the track, so I began looking for a visual cue in the calibration movies. I noticed that the calibration movies WITH tracks were a little more pixelated. I don't see how you could NOT pick up on the difference, even if only subconciously.
agurney

Post by agurney »

cleo1357 wrote:After I had done a few, I realized that I knew there was a track before I had even seen the track, so I began looking for a visual cue in the calibration movies. I noticed that the calibration movies WITH tracks were a little more pixelated. I don't see how you could NOT pick up on the difference, even if only subconciously.
The clue is the movie ID (or ondeck_movie_type=testing in the URL)
greyhorse

Post by greyhorse »

Unfortunately, I've now had two calibration movies where I clicked on the track, and then had it counted as a "miss". I'm really grumpy about it screwing up my score.
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

cleo, it is easy to spot alot of the callibration movies. Just don't get to used to it. There are some similar features in real movies. Might not seem as often, but that's also because we are seeing so many of the limited callibration movies.

I hope what they do over the coming weeks is take samples from this first batch and reassign them as callibration movies. Then people wouldn't be automatically making the assumption about their being callibrations or not.

It become way too easy for people to fall into bad habits. I ignore the address bar (actually, now that I'm working with my monitor portrait instead of landscape, I don't even SEE enough of the address bar) or the movie ID's.
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
cleo1357

Post by cleo1357 »

Orion,
I wasn't trying to spot the calibration movies. It actually bothers me that there is a visual difference between the two. It seems to me that it could skew the reliability ratings of the viewers, therefore eventually affecting the results of the project. I don't look at the movie ID or URL, either. If we are trying to cheat, then what is the point of participating at all?
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

cleo, wasn't suggesting you were. Just that many of them do become intuitive it seems. I'm just warning about getting too used to that. While it applies often, it frequently does not. I brought up the address bars and ID's due to the numerous posts in other threads on the topic. Some of the things that people have described as unique to callibration movies simply aren't. A really good example of that is the moire/banding effect you see. I've seen that one in numerous real movies. I suspect it has more to do with the location of the lighting or angle than anything else. But if someone out there starts ignoring a movie because of taht feature, something could be missed. Apologies if it sounded accusatory, it was intended as a healthy warning. ;-)
BIGAL

Post by BIGAL »

I do look at the address bar, if its real I spend MORE time looking for a real particle.
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

:D
icebike

Post by icebike »

BIGAL wrote:I do look at the address bar, if its real I spend MORE time looking for a real particle.
You probably sneak under the tree and shake your Christmas presents too :roll:
flashgordon

Post by flashgordon »

Howdy Everyone,

What I really don't like about the calibration movies is that I have scanned 1200 real movies and 400 calibration movies. I really don't need to be reminded that many times about what a track looks like. 90% of my misses is because I see something like a long track across the movie and I figure that it could be one. The small impact which is the dark circle is very simple to pick out. I only missed one of those and that was because I was being annoyed by my wife.
If life is but a dream, I need to talk to someone about waking up.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Actually several people have also said they look at the real slides more attentively. If they know it's a calibration, they feel it is not as necessary to be accurate, except to provide some validity to their speculations on tracks. If it is real, they take the assumption that it is an unknown and attempt to look for something. Bigal is simply sharing his point of view. It may be different than others, but not wrong. Whatever we think of the calibrations, ultimately, it's the search for the stardust that brought us all here. It is unfortunate that this is a debate. I'd rather see a debate over the images in the gel (like the ducks and the ballerina).
From dust we come
icebike

Post by icebike »

Nikita wrote: Bigal is simply sharing his point of view. It may be different than others, but not wrong.

Feeling a little humor impaired tonight Nikita?
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

icebike wrote:
BIGAL wrote:I do look at the address bar, if its real I spend MORE time looking for a real particle.
You probably sneak under the tree and shake your Christmas presents too :roll:
ROFL!!!

You're gonna be accusing me of doing the same thing, 'cause I spend more time looking at the real images, too.

::still laughing::

-Shar