Calibration movie fatigue

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

fergus

Calibration movie fatigue

Post by fergus »

I've been a member of this project since the first few hours it was available. Currently about 1/3 of all the movies I've viewed have been calibration movies. And I am starting to get tired of them. I joined the project to view real movies and try to find intersteller dust. Now I feel like I am the real subject of the experiment and the goal is to find out how accurate I am at spotting fake movies.

I do understand the purpose of the calibration movies and the need to make sure I am paying attention. But it seems like 1 in 10 would be enough to accomplish that goal, not 1 in 3.

I'm sure B.F. Skinner could explain better than I why it now makes me angry to get a calibration movies. The project reminds me "If you're not having fun...." Well I'm not having fun and I'm about a hair's breadth away from permanently leaving the experiment.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest,
fergus.
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

:wink:
I said something similar earlier, that I understand why they are there, but they are getting in my way. Oh well.

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming."
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
agurney

Re: Calibration movie fatigue

Post by agurney »

fergus wrote:I've been a member of this project since the first few hours it was available. Currently about 1/3 of all the movies I've viewed have been calibration movies. And I am starting to get tired of them. I joined the project to view real movies and try to find intersteller dust. Now I feel like I am the real subject of the experiment and the goal is to find out how accurate I am at spotting fake movies.

I do understand the purpose of the calibration movies and the need to make sure I am paying attention. But it seems like 1 in 10 would be enough to accomplish that goal, not 1 in 3.

I'm sure B.F. Skinner could explain better than I why it now makes me angry to get a calibration movies. The project reminds me "If you're not having fun...." Well I'm not having fun and I'm about a hair's breadth away from permanently leaving the experiment.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest,
fergus.
There are ways of identifying the calibration movies. It doesn't reduce the number, but you know what to expect which reduces the frustration.

I suspect that this is what has caused the allegations of 'cheating'** - if you hit a high frequency of calibration movies, say 1 in 3 like you are, your 'score' goes up more rapidly than someone who only sees 1 in 5 or fewer.

[** how can you cheat if there aren't any rules to break?]