What will you name it?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

Kosmic Kayos

THAT WAS ONE OF MY MANY IDEAS FOR A NAME

Post by Kosmic Kayos »

Oograh Boike wrote:
Nikita wrote:And here we see SD2006-a, otherwise known as Fluffy." :oops:
LOL! Another option would be to honour Mr Sagan. SD2006-a, aka "I'd like to name this after my wife. She's a b****, but I still love her". Nah, better find out the b's name first :wink:
Other thoughts: characters out of Doulas Adams' works (Zaphod? Trillian?), or even Terry Pratchetts (Rincewind? Great A'Tuin?)

:D Hello everyone, I am so excited about this project. I remember when the stardust capsule was re-entering our atmosphere; I had my fingers crossed hoping everything would open correctly this time around.

I was seriously considering the Sagan-like route like: The Carl Sagan Kosmic Partical is my top choice right now. I liked Mr. Sagan very much, it was his excitement and attitude that intrigued me, and that really helped nudge me to get into astronomy and astrophotography.

Other ideas of mine included: Partical001 (little star trek humor), The God Particle, The Ra Particle: D

Lastly, about people naming it after something totally ridiculous, please don’t. I only feel this way because I believe that the name should be more than just meaningful e.g. after your cat (fluffy) My cats names are Riker and Titan (after the moon) but that’s where it would stop I'd prefer to name the particle something new, possibly something press friendly, something that will sound good and maybe commemorate someone or something (Columbia related names would fit this idea and Sagan). I believe it should be something well thought out. This is a very great responsibility, at the least.

I wish everyone the best of luck in finding your very own piece of the great puzzle.
Bosniac

Post by Bosniac »

Siegfried wrote:My two dust grains:
Tristan and Isolde. :D
hahahaha discover one, get one for free.
You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not? (B.S.)
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

LOL! What other Wagnerian ones are there? Hmm, well, if I find one, I can call it the Flying Dutchman. Or Fafner and Fasolt. Or Tannhauser.
Okay, too much Wagner. I only like the Ring Cycle for the most part; I have yet to hear the others.
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Bosniac

Post by Bosniac »

I think I will call mine Elementarteilchen, just because it looks cool, not sure how to pronunciate it thow :shock:
You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not? (B.S.)
DustyStar

No brainer for me... Sorta

Post by DustyStar »

If I have the chance to name a particle, I’m going to name it, “Homer.” You know: “The Iliad,” “The Odyssey” and My Dad :-) …Oh, and Home Run!...
Stinking? We don't need no badges Stinking!
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Well, it certainly has meaning! :D
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

A name is just that a name. For scientific identification they wil most likely get some ugly number.
So use your own name, why not, most comets are named after those who discovered them. Or give them a fancy name you like. But I don't like the idea of remembring people or events in naming something as tiny as a dust particle. A star named in honor of Carl Sagan, OK, but a miniscule partical... Not my choice.
Just dusting... Image
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Wolter wrote:A name is just that a name. For scientific identification they wil most likely get some ugly number.
So use your own name, why not, most comets are named after those who discovered them. Or give them a fancy name you like. But I don't like the idea of remembring people or events in naming something as tiny as a dust particle. A star named in honor of Carl Sagan, OK, but a miniscule partical... Not my choice.
Yeah, I understand, but how many chances do we get to name something and recognize people, places, or things in our lives that we feel are important? I'm hoping that anyone would be flattered to have someone think of them enough to use his/her name, even if it is just a speck of dust. I think the value is in the thought, not in the size of it.

By the way Wolter, I like your signature!
From dust we come
DustyStar

Post by DustyStar »

Wolter wrote:A name is just that a name. For scientific identification they wil most likely get some ugly number.

OK... I'm convinced. You've inspired me! Now, maybe I will name it, "Curmudgeon" :D
Stinking? We don't need no badges Stinking!
joecor99

What will you name it?

Post by joecor99 »

I like the idea of naming particles after my grandkids. However, if I want to name one for each of them, I'll have to find 4 of them! lol So when I find them, I'll have to name mine Shannon, Chase, Chandler and Hunter! (that's WHEN, not IF! lol)

Joe
renboeverywhere

Post by renboeverywhere »

well,I like the idea of giving those particles meaningful names.
I think of "opener" because it's the dust that opens our eyesight,etc.
However, the temptation to name it after some people I know or I love is almost irresistable,so I am not sure what will I do when I've found one.
Leah

Post by Leah »

:)

I think the name will be a very personal thing for each person. My son already has a star, so I thought I go for my Mom. She had a very hard life so I was thinking of something like "Sarah's Tear" . I think I will also take into account the shape of the particle, the color and how I feel at the time. I do feel that almost some sort of Native American style name would give it special meaning. Should be a lot of fun to pick the name.
Just hope I do have the opportunity.

Good Luck everyone! :wink:
Blakut

Post by Blakut »

Hmm...it is small... it came from outerspace and "pinched" the aerogel. Beware the Spaceflea!
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Cute, Blakut. 8)

Were I to buck the odds and actually find one, I'll probably be selfish and name it after my daughter, Shael. She's the most important thing in my life.

Of course, there's always the ever-elusive "World Peace." Who's to say which is harder to capture? World Peace or one of the dust grains?

-Donna
:D
Sun Tzu II

Post by Sun Tzu II »

If I find one, I'd name it after myself (no significant other to name it after).

IF I find two (big IF), I'd definately name it after my mom and dad.
Amazing how much interest specks of dust can spark