Calibration movie 11262B: where's the track?

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Is there a track in Calibration movie 11262B?

No, there's no track and they must have marked it wrong
8%
Yes, that's a track at 370,263
76%
Yes, but it's at another place, not at 370,263
4%
It should have been marked "Bad Focus"
12%

Total votes: 25

neo

Calibration movie 11262B: where's the track?

Post by neo »

In movie 11262B, I don't see a track, but when I clicked "No Track", it gave me my first incorrect point after getting more than 25 correct and getting 100% on the test.

Does anyone see a track in this movie:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1

I see the little thing at around coords 370,263 but that doesn't look like any of the test tracks and it seems to get a bit fuzzy at the farthest-down focus.

Is there a track somewhere else?

Or should I have clicked "Bad Focus"? (But I thought they didn't include any calibration movies with bad focus. Is that true?)
gavin42g

Post by gavin42g »

It's a very small track. The biggest clue is that it's only in focus below the surface.
LCARS

Post by LCARS »

Based on all the tutorials & examples i've viewed so far, I'd say it looks like it "could" be a small low velocity particle oriented almost perfectly axial with the camera but it doesn't look very deep and the "shock" if that's in fact what it is, looks quite small. I saw nothing like that in any of the examples I looked at so far.
~My brain hurts~
BenTrem

Post by BenTrem »

gavin42g wrote:It's a very small track. The biggest clue is that it's only in focus below the surface.
Ditto. If it wasn't so low and so distinct I'd say no way. It's just a pinhead!

I just posted about my systemic error being caught by surprise by little ones, but this one's truly teeny. 1micron? If it isn't a track it's a danged interesting outlier.

"Expect the unexpected!"
When you look to see how the system works
Likely you will find that it does not.
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

I've mentioned in other places that there are some VERY small particle tracks in some of the movies. This would be one of them. :wink: I got it the second time.
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
BenTrem

Post by BenTrem »

Orion_0169 wrote:I've mentioned in other places that there are some VERY small particle tracks
It's like that ... things get spread out ... repetition may be the crudest form of emphasis but hey, if that's what it takes!
;-)
When you look to see how the system works
Likely you will find that it does not.
icebike

Emperor

Post by icebike »

This is a case of the emperor having no clothes.

There is nothing there. If you see it, you probably admire the Emperor's new suit too.

There are three marks that appear in every frame of every movie. One of these is in upper left corner, another about 100 microns due west of that on the top edge. Another a half inch from bottom edge, just east of center. (Its like these spots on on the lens, but I have no clue about the actual camera setup used.)

When you focus thru the movie the clouds of aerogell slide North-West/South-East and these 3 points remain fixed. (That's how you know they are an artifact of the viewing apparatus). Nothing else in this movie comes into focus.

You may be seeing waves or density ridges in the gel, but there is nothing in focus in this movie, and nothing that passes for a track per any of the samples or training movies.

I've looked at it with there different monitors at three different resolutions, and three different color depths. There is no there there.

I believe the proper way to post a movie link is as follows:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=11262
icebike

Re: Calibration movie 11262B: where's the track?

Post by icebike »

neo wrote:
Does anyone see a track in this movie:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1
Is it just me, or does your link just Flat NOT work?
tshoulihane

Post by tshoulihane »

That's a fairly convincing consensus on the poll! I'm not sure I'd have seen this one, but definately a spit which comes into focus lower than the top surface.
Keem

Post by Keem »

Those look like 2 different movies to me, even though they are the same number. In the first one I can clearly see a track at the point listed on the poll. The second movie is all out of focus and I can't see anything on it. And yes, I've seen those three marks that are every movie. This track isn't one of those.
icebike

Post by icebike »

Keem wrote:

Those look like 2 different movies to me, .
Well, his link does not work at all for me, so I had to create a proper one. All I get with his link is "Error from stardust".

If I got a different movie, I stand corrected.
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Heya,

I'm having no luck seeing this track, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's the one that cost me my 100%.

Could someone with MS Paint who sees the track please give me coordinates using Paint so I can see what it looks like? How many levels up from the bottom is it visible?

Thanks!

-Shar
ScarabDrowner

Post by ScarabDrowner »

Sharqua wrote:Heya,

I'm having no luck seeing this track, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's the one that cost me my 100%.

Could someone with MS Paint who sees the track please give me coordinates using Paint so I can see what it looks like? How many levels up from the bottom is it visible?

Thanks!

-Shar
"Progress is not made by early risers. Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things" - Robert Heinlein
icebike

Post by icebike »

ScarabDrowner wrote:
Sharqua wrote:Heya,

Thanks!

-Shar
Ok, something fishy going on here. No way in hell that matches this movie:

I'm beginning not to trust the printed number on the screen, especially if someone presses the back button or something.
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

icebike wrote:Ok, something fishy going on here. No way in hell that matches this movie:

I'm beginning not to trust the printed number on the screen, especially if someone presses the back button or something.
THANK YOU, Icebike. I'm seeing an image that is out of focus. I'm VERY good at seeing these little "invisible space missiles," and definitely would have seen that speck. Heck, it's clear as day, now that somebody has posted the image. And it's NOT visible in the out-of-focus image that link connects to.

Calibration Movies Answered Correctly 317
Calibration Movies Answered Incorrectly 2
Your Overall Score: 315
Total Real Movies Viewed: 678

I was beginning to think I was losing my eyesight!

-Shar