logged out after time limit?

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

ScarabDrowner

logged out after time limit?

Post by ScarabDrowner »

I've noticed so far that I've been logged out twice tonight, after I've been away from my computer for less than 5 minutes each time. I get back to my computer, scan through the loaded movie, click the appropriate button, and then get an error page. When I reload Stardust@home, I have to log back in... Is this a browser thing or a SD@H thing?

edit: looks like it's not a time limit on idleness... I just got the same "Error from stardust" message while I was happily clicking through the movies. I wasn't away from my computer at all, and didn't even take more than a minute to examine the movie I was on. I had the Events page open as well on another tab (using Firefox 1.5.0.5), and when I tried to reload it, I get the same error page. Something's fishy....
foobentrem

Re: logged out after time limit?

Post by foobentrem »

ScarabDrowner wrote:I've noticed so far that I've been logged out twice tonight, after I've been away from my computer for less than 5 minutes each time. I get back to my computer, scan through the loaded movie, click the appropriate button, and then get an error page
Likewise.

a) this is not a primary task, i.e. sometimes something takes me away from that browser window for a few minutes
b) response time from the server is *cough* usable, but not snappy, so I'm not likely to sit and watch as the movie loads

Ergo: unless there's some awesome security reason, timing should be relaxed. (Read: I don't need another source of irritation and frustration in my life. *grin*)
jsellers

Post by jsellers »

I also got logged out and was given a 'stardust@home error' message each time tonight...except with me it was just after I decided to click on the VM to note a track mark! The problem could be a time issue as you said, because each time I deliberated for a minute or two before clicking the image. The first time I was kinda miffed because it was a borderline track (the surface was late in the series and so the 'track' didn't come into focus before the last few frames jumped to a "rogue" series--but it was something I know it!!).

Anyway, the second time I did it I was absolutely sure it was a track--so sure that I also strongly suspect it to have been a calibration series (or can I call them 'slides'?). Before clicking the screen, I noted the movie id number: 11781B and took a few screen captures. I'd put the gif I made here, but I haven't figured out how. So I guess what I mean to way is:
I feel your pain.
jsellers

Here's that animation I was talking about.

Post by jsellers »

I'm guessing it's a calibration slide, yet it is mush smaller and a bit harder to detect than any other I've seen. Anyway, it's worth me posting since I made the whole animation thing: http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8634 ... 81btj0.gif
KarMann

Post by KarMann »

ScarabDrowner: Are you sure you actually had to log back in? I keep getting the error messages, one of which says you should log in or go to the home page, but if I refresh enough, it usually comes back around eventually without that. And the results do count for me then.

On the other hand, I've definitely been logged out of this phpBB here a couple of times, in a very short time. I don't remember whether that's an Apache (I presume) thing, PHP setting, or in phpBB, assuming it's a cookie timeout setting or something like that, rather than just a server creaking under the strain. But this isn't really the place for that, I suppose.
icebike

Re: logged out after time limit?

Post by icebike »

ScarabDrowner wrote:I've noticed so far that I've been logged out twice tonight, after I've been away from my computer for less than 5 minutes each time. I
ScaraDrowner, this is Stardust's way of telling you that you need to get out more.... :wink:
ScarabDrowner

Post by ScarabDrowner »

KarMann wrote:ScarabDrowner: Are you sure you actually had to log back in? I keep getting the error messages, one of which says you should log in or go to the home page, but if I refresh enough, it usually comes back around eventually without that. And the results do count for me then.
yup, had to go back to the main index page and relog in each time... It's happened to me again today, and I tried your refresh idea, but no luck. Sometimes I think it's a timeout when I have to do something else for a moment, other times I think it's a glitch as I haven't given it enough time to time me out, while I'm clicking through movies.
icebike wrote:ScaraDrowner, this is Stardust's way of telling you that you need to get out more.... Wink
:P
"Progress is not made by early risers. Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things" - Robert Heinlein
BenTrem

Post by BenTrem »

KarMann wrote:Are you sure you actually had to log back in? [...] if I refresh enough, it usually comes back around eventually without that. And the results do count for me then.
I haven't tried that ... it'd be nice.

In something like an hour I've had 3 errors and 2 time-outs ... 6 logins.

But it's still fun, right?
;-P
When you look to see how the system works
Likely you will find that it does not.
geoli

timeout while scrutinizing a speckle(?)

Post by geoli »

my 2ct:
I think that the timeout period is too short to
support serious decision making.

And now, please bear with me
and my longwinded story :wink: (and questions thereafter):

Today I was searching "2731693V1" and noticed that at the very top,
where in many movies I saw before there had been a "speckle on the lens",
something changed when approaching the surface
(which is unfortunately very high/just above the movie).

Since focus would not allow to move above and verify it as speckle,
but I did not like the idea to miss a track in a CM (-- again; the first time
was tough enough :( ) either, I decided to take screenshots and examine them.
Thus I did and it definitely seems to change. The only reason I could see for it
to be a speckle, would be some image-processing algorithm that merges it
with the "roughness" on the (near) surface.
My curiosity was fully awoken and I began my search for
<strike>the Holy Grail</strike> information about image overlap and soon
found the thread "Image overlap" :).

So at least I knew that there should be another movie to get that
speckle out of the way, and I decided to mark it (remember the CM? :wink:).
Which leads to a side note: It would be nice if one could add a short
comment when marking possible "things".
But then... bummer! Need to log in! And guess what, I have no idea
how to get to that movie again and I'm sure that, even if I did, I would
not be allow to rate it :cry:

The wierd thing is, that the last frame is a cut,
and guess what, there seems to be a speckle *youknowwhere*.
So what is going on at the surface?
Could different exposure change the appearance of that speckle that much?
And why is this effect only visible in this movie (so far)?

Now:
How should I proceed the next time I need more time to scrutinize a movie?
What do you think of "2731693V1" and my wild theories and questions?
Is there any way to know which number overlaps (that you could tell me 8))?

Thanks for your time!
geoli
farpung

Re: timeout while scrutinizing a speckle(?)

Post by farpung »

geoli wrote: What do you think of "2731693V1" ...?
Good observation geoli. I think 2731693V1 ( http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =2731693V1 ) is very interesting! Normally that lens dust speck at the top stays the same at any depth, but on this one there is the surrounding "whiskering" and/or "speckling" that I often notice on calibration movies with small tracks as you go deeper into the gel. Could it be a small track? As you say there should be another movie that has this at the bottom.
Last edited by farpung on Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Which browser are you all using. I have never been logged out due to too much time.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
kari

Post by kari »

DustBuster wrote:Which browser are you all using. I have never been logged out due to too much time.
It's happened to me in Maxthon (IE) and Firefox .. and it's rather annoying *sigh*
geoli

Post by geoli »

DustBuster wrote:Which browser are you all using.
I'm using Firefox on Mac OS X.
minkiemink

Post by minkiemink »

Which browser are you all using.
I am using Safari on Mac OSx 10.4.7. So far I have had no "logging out" problems.

[/quote]
“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched”
-Henry David Thoreau