Answers to Qs about: VM, Movies, Scores… UPDATED 6:56pm

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

caprarom

Re: Answers to Qs about: VM, Movies, Scores… UPDATED 6:56pm

Post by caprarom »

Yes, I'm afraid Elaine is correct. There is nothing to be "fixed." Math is what it is and unforgiving. Elaine's answer probably clarifies your question well enough, but if not, perhaps you can share some specific numbers you find confusing. While I've tallied 465 more correct CMs in the last week or so, my sensitivity has improved only 0.03%. That is mathematically correct. While I might like my numbers to improve more quickly, I can't argue with the math.
Zoerel

Post by Zoerel »

Thanks everyone for your help. It explains the sensitivity problem, but I have to agree with ERSTRS, this is totally unfair. My sensitivity was 84.69 and then I worked for 6 hours in two days just to get it up to 84.91. Then I missed one and it dropped to 84.81. And this was after there was no particle in the previous movie. Discouraging. Zoerel
ERSTRS

Post by ERSTRS »

The way "Sensitivity" could be satisfactorily "fixed" for me is: Eliminate most of the 50 microns. I click off hundreds and hundreds of them---with no Track at all. Then, put a greater selection of 100cm's, with Tracks, into my batch each day. Sometimes I will find none, or maybe one, Track in fifteen minutes dusting. We're supposed to be having fun! But, seeing the same 50 cm movies arrive over and over and over again in each one of my dusting sessions is boring! They take up valuable time when I could be seriously dusting. ERSTRS
Evelyn
tudorbug

Post by tudorbug »

An interesting discusssion. The disabling blow of many errors on my sensitivity percentage, and the long, long time consuming effort to regain a lost percentaqe is the reason that I am now doing from none to next to no dusting. I was able to climb to 94% plus a tad and but could not keep from continuinrg to make errors that caused me to conclude my work was mediocre, which is not what I want to be.

It is not the math, it's the difficulty in finding minute trackes in some of the calibration movies.

David
ERSTRS

Post by ERSTRS »

Tudorbug wrote that he was doing next to nothing in dusting. . . .
"It is not the math, it's the difficulty in finding minute tracks in some of the calibration movies. David"

David, maybe this will help you find more Tracks. I've dusted quite a bit last evening and today in order to find the examples listed below for you to look at.

When dusting, I turn off lights in my office. Then I adjust resolution. Normal desktop for my iMac is 1680x1050. Very crisp images, but not adequate for small Tracks. 1344x840 has crisp images, and can easily detect most medium and largerTracks. But for the teensy-tiny Tracks, I need to use 1280x800. Sharpness is lost, but the tiny ones show up better. I change back and forth when needed.

1)
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... s=?401,200

Very tiny obscure Track. Lower left quadrant. Doesn't come into focus until you have scanned to bottom. Two faint black dots close together. Couldn't see lead-in track at all. But I got credit when I clicked on it. Was too small to see at 1680x1050. Was visible only at resolution 1344x840. Too blurry to identify at 1280x800.

2)
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1

Example of a very faint, easy to miss, "Orion" Track in upper left corner of movie. These are the ones I most often fail to find.They are dim and blurry--not sharp at any resolution.

3)

Teensy Track on top right, slightly to left of dark blotch. Bright head just barely inside this movie. Rest of it is out of the picture.

4)

Teensy-tiny one. Upper right quadrant---above a small black blob. Bright head that turns dark when scanned.

5)
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-2,-2

In lower right quadrant, just right of dark blob. Tiny bright spot that turns dark as it is scanned downward.

Good luck!
ERSTRS
P.S. I think #14 may have stopped dusting---and I just moved up into his place. I'm not dusting much for the same reason you aren't. Too discouraging when it takes days and days of dusting to make up for one mistake!
Evelyn
ERSTRS

Post by ERSTRS »

Tudorbug, David,

Here is another very tiny Track---top of movie, almost in middle---slightly to right. I've seen them even tinier than this one.

I missed an obvious "Orion" Track one this morning. It was so dim/faint that I had to "go back" and find it once it was counted incorrect. Very discouraged. There are so few 100's with Tracks in them, it would take me all day to make it up, if I were to continue dusting all day, that is. When I think of all the Phase One samples that have been added to our workload, and so few Tracks in them---well, I want to quit!

ERSTRS
Evelyn
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

DanZ, I used to receive corrections in emails when I missed a track, but I haven't received one for several weeks. I checked, and I do have the preference marked to send me a notice when I miss one track. I missed a track this morning, and went back over it "with a fine toothed comb," as my mom would say, without finding the track. It would be a great help if I could look at the movie again, with coords marked. Thanks, Evelyn (ERSTRS, SmithES)
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

SmithES wrote:DanZ, I used to receive corrections in emails when I missed a track, but I haven't received one for several weeks. I checked, and I do have the preference marked to send me a notice when I miss one track. I missed a track this morning, and went back over it "with a fine toothed comb," as my mom would say, without finding the track. It would be a great help if I could look at the movie again, with coords marked. Thanks, Evelyn (ERSTRS, SmithES)
Some people have had to "turn off" and then "turn on" (e.g., click on) that preference to get it working again. Try that. In the meantime I'll try and see if someone can fix this behind the scenes. Thanks for your patience!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

SmithES wrote:DanZ, I used to receive corrections in emails when I missed a track, but I haven't received one for several weeks. I checked, and I do have the preference marked to send me a notice when I miss one track. I missed a track this morning, and went back over it "with a fine toothed comb," as my mom would say, without finding the track. It would be a great help if I could look at the movie again, with coords marked. Thanks, Evelyn (ERSTRS, SmithES)
Hi Again,

Are you getting these emails now Evelyn? Please note, they don't go out as soon as you miss a track. Instead, they are sent every 12 hours and list all the Power Movies you've missed in those last 12 hours. Also, for those who don't know, you have to set a threshold for the minimum number of movies missed to trigger this email. You can do that here: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/myaccount.php

Evelyn - your threshold is now 1, so if you miss at least one Power Movie each day, you should now be getting these emails (I'm just not sure exactly what time).

Let me know if all is good!

Thanks,

Dan
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Good morning, DanZ, I missed a track yesterday and the information about it showed up in my email box this morning--- location of track plainly marked. THANKS---it is a tremendous help. I had already followed your suggestion to "reset" everything in my prefs. Perhaps that's what did it.

Evelyn (ERSTRS/SmithES)
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

So glad to hear it Evelyn - and thanks for sticking with us!

Dan
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

HI, DanZ, I finally reached the magic 100, and off and running in Phase 6. Have a question: Why does my Power Score go up, but my Skill Score goes down when I find some of the tracks? Shouldn't the Skill Score increase with each find? For instance, this morning I began with PS 1895. Found a 15 point track and SS dropped from 8918 to 8897.
It dropped further when I found a ten point track--to 8892.
Then I clicked on a 25 point track and SS rose to 8897. PS=1960.

Puzzled.

Evelyn (SmithES, ERSTRS)
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Hi, Evelyn. The skill score fluctuations you see are an artifact of basing the skill score on only the latest 100 power movies. The value will ‘jitter’ (as John put it in a recent post) up or down even though you flagged the latest PM correctly. One’s score can drop after getting the latest PM correct because a more difficult PM dropped out of the moving 100-movie window. It can go up a bit if the opposite occurs. (It will go up significantly if it was a "missed" PM that drops out.) Hope that helps.

Mike C.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Yes Evelyn, I too have found the “jitter” of skill scores a bit disconcerting, as Mike mentions above.
However, the score displayed will always be that applying to the last 100 PMs you’ve seen regardless of the previous 100 (which most likely will have had a slightly different distribution of difficulty values, as well as proportion of your correct responses).

While easy enough to mathematically smooth out such minor jerkiness, I’m not sure the team would think it worth the extra computational load involved.
And you can always look forward (as I do) to an unexpected jump up in skill when an easy one you previously missed drops out of the 100 window!

John
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Dropping Skill Score: Thanks, Guys. I understand, but it is disheartening. I began the session with SS of 8910. Wracked up 95 plus points, and ended up in the hole at SS 8894. Skill Score is the most important statistic for me, since I'm an old lab-tech whose performance was rated due to skill score with ASTM samples. Now, I'm in a program that penalizes me for increasing my Power Score! I'll get used to it. Phase VI is my favorite of all the Phases, by the way. Evelyn