"There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DanZ
Site Admin

Re: "There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post by DanZ »

fjgiie wrote:Is 7 units (229 - 222) greater than the 30 pixels?
I don't think so, but I'm double checking.
fjgiie wrote:The "Y=229 is wrong. The place to click is at the tracks lowest point, not the focus bar's lowest point.
That is correct and I've already reported this one.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

fjgiie wrote:Coordinates must be wrong on this one. No way to hit it. 819798V1
DanZ wrote:Where did you click? The little black head should have done it for you. I can't see anything wrong, except that the coordinates are a tad off (but not enough to be a miss if you clicked the black head of the track). But I'll report it regardless. Dan
fjgiie wrote:x111, y222 (that's the middle of the black head) Y222 is higher than "theY=229" Question for you.
Is 7 units (229 - 222) greater than the 30 pixels? I know the red marker is below the blackhead because the red marker runs from 225 to 250. :)      The "Y=229 is wrong. The place to click is at the tracks lowest point, not the focus bar's lowest point. f
Not sure what happened here, but the database shows you clicked at X 104, Y 192. Is it possible you were zoomed in at the time on your browser? Sometimes that can do it (I usually reset zoom right before I click if I think there might be a glitch going on).

But yes, if you click 222 and the Y is 229, then that's within the acceptable radius!

Let's keep on eye on this problem and let me know if it comes up again.

Thanks,

Dan
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Hi Dan,

You could be right about the magnifier, although I usually watch out and not report a bad Power Movie if I clicked it using the Chrome magnifier.

I just ran a test using IE with a magnifier and 2. Google Chrome with a magnifier.

1. IE The track in Tutorial number one is at 243, 190 no using magnification.
The track in Tutorial number one is at 241, 189 using IE 150% magnification.
So the IE magnifier would be OK to use on my machine.

2. Chrome browser the track in Tutorial one is at 244, 190 no magnification.
The track in tutorial one is at 237, 95 using Ctrl+ one time. (one magnification)
By the way the top left corner is at -5, -93 using Chrome with one magnification.
So a duster cannot click correctly using the Google Chrome magnifier.

When we view a missed Cal movie using the missed calibration movie viewer, the red indicators and the coordinates listed do not really have anything to do with where the VM locates the Cal track? Is that correct?
The VM draws a 30 pixel radius circle around the center of the track, and if we click inside that circle (using no magnification) then we clicked correctly?

f
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

fjgiie wrote:2. Chrome browser the track in Tutorial one is at 244, 190 no magnification.
The track in tutorial one is at 237, 95 using Ctrl+ one time. (one magnification)
By the way the top left corner is at -5, -93 using Chrome with one magnification.
So a duster cannot click correctly using the Google Chrome magnifier.

When we view a missed Cal movie using the missed calibration movie viewer, the red indicators and the coordinates listed do not really have anything to do with where the VM locates the Cal track? Is that correct?
The VM draws a 30 pixel radius circle around the center of the track, and if we click inside that circle (using no magnification) then we clicked correctly? f
Wow, what a difference with the Chrome browser! Thanks for doing that research.

But yes, the Red Bars mark the general area of the "where to click" but are not used when the computer determines if you clicked correctly or not, that's all in the true X/Y that has been entered for each PM. So then, in essence, yes the VM does draw a 30 pixel radius around the X/Y coordinates that have been entered and you need to click within that circle.

By the way, I did a little test after your post and noted my click coordinates (based on the Firefox browser I was using) just before clicking on a known PM. Then I had someone check the database, and sure enough, my recorded X/Y click matched perfectly to what I thought I clicked (see below). So it does work when everything is setup properly. Nevertheless, if you seem to be getting this problem over and over again, then please let us know.

Thanks,

Dan

My database record from test click on known PM:

Movie_id 1126750
(where I clicked:)
Y 228
frame # 25
time 2011-08-09 18:04:58
laserphil

Post by laserphil »

Hi DanZ,

There is a problem with this power movie: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 8&theY=279

There is no 4 point track at the co-ordinates listed. There is what appears to be an obvious low point track at 100,297 but clicking on this recorded a miss. Now I have to work hard to regain the skill level I lost!

Phil
laserphil

Post by laserphil »

Hi DanZ,

Still more poor track identification on the following movies - even a double of the one posted above.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 9&theY=337 Deepest point of the track is at 275,375.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 8&theY=279 Track should be 100,297 as in previous post.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 86&theY=17 There is a particle in this track that is in focus at 35,5 which is outside the 30 pixel limit.

I continue to click on what appears to me to be the tracks deepest part and was marked down for the three above and the one from my previous post.

Please see my post on a possible solution to the Skill score. I have a spread sheet example but could not get it to look right on the forum.

Phil
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

All three movies below are the same image I think.

fjgiie missed this one: 3700440V1

enokh missed this one: 337735V1

laserphil missed this one: 601173V1

This looks like a surface crease, not a track to me. 8480592V1

If you will magnify this movie and look just below the surface, there is no track. (I never saw it because I did not look above the surface high enough as the blue bars quit going up)8203123V1

thanks,

f
laserphil

Post by laserphil »

Movie # 8451850V1 is also the same as the three Fjgiie posted above.

Fjgiie, your # 8203123V1 looks to me like something has skipped across the surface. I agree that there are no "below surface" features visible so it just looks like surface debris.

Phil
laserphil

Post by laserphil »

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 0&theY=292

I would like an answer to this question. Just where do you click to get the points for this fifteen pointer? Obvious answer when you get scored a miss and check why. You have to click somewhere near the HIGHEST point to be scored as correct. Even the suggested co-ordinates are not on the track's surface entry hole. Check on magnified image - there is a spot of surface dust in focus at the centre of the image when the entry hole is in focus. The track continues to focus down from the surface.

DanZ - Why does the test emphasise to click on the lowest point but still I am finding movies where I (and others I'm sure) am being penalised for following these instructions. It takes a considerable amount of time and effort to recover from these mistakes.
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Well, this is an old thread, Dan, but it's where you asked us to post.

On a power movie such as this, how are we to know where to click? I clicked on the head as we were originally trained to do and got it wrong. To me, the depth looks pretty equal throughout, so how are we to ascertain the deepest point? Am I wrong to assume that the particle, or head of the track, would necessarily be the deepest since it goes in first? (And since the movies are shown from different views, the angle of the track tells us nothing.) I love it when I get the high-pointers right and a 5-pointer wrong, LOL.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 0&theY=120
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

laserphil wrote:Hi DanZ, There is a problem with this power movie: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 8&theY=279 There is no 4 point track at the co-ordinates listed. There is what appears to be an obvious low point track at 100,297 but clicking on this recorded a miss. Now I have to work hard to regain the skill level I lost! Phil
It's indeed a bad PM. Thanks for reporting it.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

laserphil wrote: .... Please see my post on a possible solution to the Skill score. I have a spread sheet example but could not get it to look right on the forum. Phil
All the tracks have been reported. Otherwise, hold on to that spread sheet! Will be giving you the opportunity to officially submit alternatives for Skill very shortly.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

fjgiie wrote:If you will magnify this movie and look just below the surface, there is no track. (I never saw it because I did not look above the surface high enough as the blue bars quit going up)8203123V1 thanks, f
There are a number of tracks (which I wasn't aware of before) that made very shallow impacts into the aerogel, thus they go out of focus quite quickly and can, as you have pointed out, appear to be on the surface. But they are real/verified tracks so these we will have to get use to and try and spot. I'm going to see if we can add something about these in the tutorial.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

laserphil wrote:Why does the test emphasise to click on the lowest point but still I am finding movies where I (and others I'm sure) am being penalised for following these instructions. It takes a considerable amount of time and effort to recover from these mistakes.
Well, it's got to be misinterpretation by somebody. Let me see if I can get a fix that makes everyone happy. Thanks for asking.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

elainekeefe wrote:Well, this is an old thread, Dan, but it's where you asked us to post.

On a power movie such as this, how are we to know where to click? I clicked on the head as we were originally trained to do and got it wrong. To me, the depth looks pretty equal throughout, so how are we to ascertain the deepest point? Am I wrong to assume that the particle, or head of the track, would necessarily be the deepest since it goes in first? (And since the movies are shown from different views, the angle of the track tells us nothing.) I love it when I get the high-pointers right and a 5-pointer wrong, LOL.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 0&theY=120
Hmmm.... same conversation, different take! :lol: Phil, what's your interpretation of the one Elaine posted above - are the "where to click" X/Y coordinates closer to the "deeper" and thus correct end in your opinion?

But by and large Elaine, there are some tracks where the visible "end" is not the deepest part, and so in this case, unlike the classic midnight tracks, I think this one has its deepest end going off the screen to the right and so you would click near there. But I'm looking forward to Phil's input!

Dan