Answers to Qs about: VM, Movies, Scores… UPDATED 6:56pm

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

farpung

Re: Is this a new problem ?

Post by farpung »

Mighty Pete wrote:My cursor is changing from the hand to the text bar to other icons..

The cure: reload the VM page after you return from the My Events page using the back button.
What about opening the My Events page in another tab?
mkovach

Calibration Movies/Bum rap on a couple of 'wrongs'!

Post by mkovach »

I have experienced 3 calibration "wrongs" today, having been perfect prior. 2 are attributable to a glitch wherein the movie "flipped" to a new focus movie at the bottom end of the focus scale (when this occurred a third time, I clicked "bad focus", and the problem seemed to cease---shame on me for not doing that before. "Bad focus" didn't seem as appropriate a description as "glitch/bug", but there was no button for that :) - maybe not a bad idea?) Anyhow, the third resulted from reloading an apparently timed-out download. I am using Firefox (1.5.0.6) on a centrino laptop running XP Pro.
bill

erroneous entry in My Events

Post by bill »

I found this entry in My Events page and I know I didn't mark it. I was having a lot of occurrances of "cannot load" around this time, so I logged out and logged back in. I think perhaps this got marked during this process.

Anyway, please disregard this click. It's about as devoid of tracks as any movie I've seen. :)

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8674354V1
Cheers,
Bill
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

What about opening the My Events page in another tab?
Yes that will work of course but the tabs make me scroll down to each new movie. I have the VM F11 full screen with all the tool bars turned off and I actually block the images at the top with adblock so I don't have to scroll down the page. I just could not figure out where that error was coming from.

I have two 21" monitors here so now I just keep Firefox opened on the other one with everything I'm doing in tabs..

Dual monitors or more is the only way to live.
zhangziling

Movie corruption

Post by zhangziling »

The last frame of 9740692V1 seem to be a mistake. The image suddenly changed.
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: Movie corruption

Post by DustBuster »

zhangziling wrote:The last frame of 9740692V1 seem to be a mistake. The image suddenly changed.
Hi.

You might be experiencing this problem

marymouse

5304934V1

Post by marymouse »

Don't know if this is the right place to post.

This movie was marked "not extraterrestrial- probable dust on surface".
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =5304934V1

This is a problem for me because it seemed clear that the spots were not seen at the surface level but below surface where they became distinct and the others became fuzzy. I didn't think they were tracks but possibly inclusions. What am I not understanding?

Thanks. :)
marymouse

re: 5304934V1

Post by marymouse »

After the last review, they changed this to inclusions. Problem gone. :D

Thanks fjgie.
michaeljeff

Post by michaeljeff »

anyone knows about there new movie?
Zoerel

Re: Interesting features in calibration movies

Post by Zoerel »

This may not be the proper place to ask this question, but I can't find a better place. Mym question is "why does my sensitivity rate go up only one or two when I find a particle, but goes down 10/11 points if I miss one. My sensitivity can never go higher this way. I've been trying to improve it for 2/3 years. It's discouraging. Zoerel :( :( :(
ERSTRS

Re: Answers to Qs about: VM, Movies, Scores… UPDATED 6:56pm

Post by ERSTRS »

Zoerel, regarding "Interesting features in cm's about sensitivity." I've noticed the same thing and it is very discouraging when I make an error. When I mess a Track, my sensitivity will drop two or three hundredths of percent. Then, to "make up" those lost points, I will have to find and click on TWENTY-FIVE or more Tracks before I make up even ONE point. With Phase Three, the Tracks are few and far between. I am doing good if I find ten to fifteen an hour. To get back to where I was after I make one mistake, I will have to spend several hours finding Tracks! I thought the percentages were based on mathematical percentages of our total score and samples viewed, but that obviously isn't the case. I'm discouraged, too, so have backed off and spend only a few hours a week dusting. I used to spend several hours a day. Am disappointed with Phase Three. I thought we were going to be a "mop-up" crew, but then they added hundreds of thousands more slides. We'll never finish this job! ERSTRS
Evelyn
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Well, Zoerel, the higher your percent sensitivity, the harder you have to work to improve it because, mathematically, the more correct CMs you'll require to compensate for a "miss." I currently have 30 "misses," and my score is 9050. Since the score is determined by the number of correct CMs less the number missed, I've viewed 9110 CMs. My specificity is 100%, so all my misses have been related to sensitivity. Assuming roughly 50% of the CMs are positive and 50% are null calibrations, my specificity should be about (4525/4555)100 = 99.34%. Lo and behold, that is indeed my current sensitivity score.

Now, if (when) I miss one, to recover I'll need about [(31/30)4555 - 4555] or 152 positive (~304 total) correct calibrations. That's why the penalty for our indiscretions seems so severe. Hope that helps.

Mike C.
Zoerel

Post by Zoerel »

Thank you for the replies from Evelyn and Mike C. Unfortunately it doesn't clear up everything for me. I would like a more details answer for how the Sensitivity is established. What is the math. behind it. Charles Tabor
ERSTRS

Post by ERSTRS »

Yes, I agree with Zoerel. I'd like more details as to how the Sensitivity is established. While Caprarom figured the math percentages for us, it still is confusing to me. Why does ONE mistake cause a DROP of two-one-hundredths of a point---but to regain that loss one needs to find and click on FIFTY or more Tracks? It is extremely discouraging to miss a Track, and see one's score go down, knowing it will take hours of careful work to "make it up." Something about this needs to be "fixed." ERSTRS

CMs Correct: 11949
CMs Incorrect: 126
Total Real Movies viewed: 62346
Specificity: 100%
Sensitivity: 97.95
Evelyn
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Hi Zoerel and Evelyn,

The reason it takes so long for your sensitivity to go up again is because you are adding more movies to the base score on which the percentage is calculated. As you can see in the following graph, it takes 100 correct cm's to get back to 99%. This is because the percentage is now based on amounts increasing to 300 rather than 200. As you can see, the higher the base score goes, the lesser the percentage increase. Therefore, the more calibration movies you have, the longer it will take to increase your score.

200/2 errors = 198/200 = 99.00%
201/3 errors = 198/201 = 98.50%
225/3 errors = 222/225 = 98.66%
250/3 errors = 247/250 = 98.80%
275/3 errors = 272/275 = 98.90%
300/3 errors = 297/300 = 99.00%

If your score had stayed the same:

300/2 errors = 298/300 = 99.33%

I am not exactly a math whiz, so forgive me if these numbers are not accurate. Hopefully, though, you will get the general idea.

Elaine