Where have all the "DUSTERS" gone?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

jdrockster

Where have all the "DUSTERS" gone?

Post by jdrockster »

I know this can get boring but is the job done? I have taken a long break myself but I keep coming back. What is the status of the project, % complete etc. Perhaps a quarterly email update on the status of the project would revive some of us "slacker dusters" and renew interest? Dust On!
Dust2Dust...Dust4Dust!
DanZ
Site Admin

Re: Where have all the "DUSTERS" gone?

Post by DanZ »

JD,

Check out the latest news flash at http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/blog.php. Not boring at all in my opinion. But the gist is, get ready for Phase 3 and some re-training! (details to come)

Dan
ERSTRS

Post by ERSTRS »

I think I know why we no longer have thousands of dusters as we did in Phase One. Too many 30 micron slides with no particles in them! I had to get through twenty-nine of them before a 100 micron one came up this morning with a particle in it. That gets pretty boring. Isn't the whole point to find dust particles? Why should we waste time on the 30's? ERSTRS
Evelyn
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

ERSTRS wrote:Isn't the whole point to find dust particles? Why should we waste time on the 30's? ERSTRS
The whole point IS to find dust tracks, REAL dust tracks. That's why 80% of movies are real and NOT calibrations. These are the slides we know nothing about (i.e., whether they contain particle tracks or not). If we knew, then we wouldn't need you all :D

Dan
greuti

Post by greuti »

Hi Dan,

I think Evelyn is refering to your statement from last October http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 218#p17686

I assume the Team has decided first to look once again at those 50's which had (too) little or no views in Phase 2, before finally to sift only through the new 100's, right?

Peter
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Hi Peter,

In October, when I made that post, Phase 3 was only going to be about new tiles. The big shift toward the search for "midnight tracks" came later, after we got the data back on Orion. And so, it became quite clear that re-examining old movies was just as important as looking at new movies. Therefore, you'll be seeing the entire collection.

Hope that helps.

Dan
greuti

Post by greuti »

Thanks Dan, that makes it clear(er). Though, I'd have thought that the bigger part of the dusters in Phase 1+2 clicked already on everything that looked like a high-angle track - or at least those of us who have visited periodically the forum :)

What still puzzles me, since you started Phase 3, why the complete change of the search from the vertical tracks (low-angle) to the more horizontal tracks (high-angle). Sorry, if I missed something in the offical updates, the only explanation I've got is because of the finding of "Orion" we are searching now (mainly) such "midnight" tracks in Phase 3.
But the absence of any mention to search still after tracks like in Phase 1+2 makes me thinking the Team now does not expect anymore to find such "straight" vertical tracks. Please, can you explaine here something about this circumstance?
DiamondGirl

Post by DiamondGirl »

DanZ wrote:JD,

Check out the latest news flash at http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/blog.php. Not boring at all in my opinion. But the gist is, get ready for Phase 3 and some re-training! (details to come)

Dan
I am unfortunately having trouble with Quickview, and can't view the Update 6 info. Is there somewhere else I can go to just see "here's our current status" from time to time? Like, okay, we started something new on this date. Currently still going on, or currently paused... etc. For those dusters who can only check in every once in a while, or stopped but want to pick back up, it's frustratingly hard to figure out where we really are at any given time. This probably lends itself towards losing more dusters, since even if they do stop back, they can't tell whether there's anything new to do yet or not. I love doing this darn stuff (I know, we all are kinda unique that way) ;-) but it really would help to just click on the Updates section and see a daily update. Or weekly. Or even bi-weekly.
If it's already being done and I just couldn't find it, I apologize for my redundancy. :)
==Diamondgirl
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

The Blog is where we post the most recent news and try to summarize the most interesting finds to date, but if you want more in-depth coverage than that, then you'll want to be able to view the video updates. The only other "updating" we do is on the candidates page here. Otherwise, there's really nobody on the team with enough time for anything more. However, if there's no news, then we're probably continuing to further analyze dust particles. On the other hand, it's really up to the dusters to find the next interesting thing to study!

Dan