Steps to bring S@Home to a class

Teachers and Students, use this forum to discuss ideas for using Stardust@home in the classroom.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

MarcOrelius

Steps to bring S@Home to a class

Post by MarcOrelius »

Hi,

I've been reading the forums a bit now and was wondering what would tips and advice people might give me on getting a similar program to Stardust at Home started at my school? Not technically, but more in terms of office politics, getting approval, considering involving the local business community (sponsorships) etc.

Can anyone share some pointers?

Thanks,
Marc
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Hi Marc!

I did a presentation at my son's school last year. I just gave the teacher a copy of the slideshow in advance so they could preapprove it.

If you are talking about a Stardust club, perhaps you should start with your Parent/Teacher organization. Some of them can be very political. You can also check into your school board for guidelines for starting a club. If your child is involved with any outside clubs, ask the teacher involved with that. Be prepared to be told that you have to wait until the school season begins again.

As far as going to businesses, you will need a concrete proposal - what you want from them (money for T-shirts? Awards for top searchers, whatever) Why you want it, that is, what the aim of your project is and why you think it is good for the kids. If you can tie it into a state educational requirement, it's a huge bonus! Be sure to include in your plan all the science, math, and technology involved and what the goal is.

This is the exact time of year to go for money for companies that end their fiscal year with the calendar year. they will get a fresh batch of donatable money and it's often first come/first serve.

I hope this helps. Don't forget office supplies stores are a good place to get paper that has come from torn reams and writing tools that have come out of their boxes!

Good Luck!
From dust we come
MarcOrelius

Post by MarcOrelius »

Hey Nikita,

Thanks for the great tips. You make a good point about companies winding up the year now and refreshing their budget. Funny how that works. Also, I really appreciate the pointer about getting the office supplies from local stores where the supplies might be a bit "damaged."

I'll have a chat with the PTA folks and see how it goes. Is it better for me to speak with a decision maker who might not have time until a few weeks or even a couple of months from now or try and get to someone lower in the food chain who might influence said person/put in a good word?

Thanks again!
cthiker

Post by cthiker »

MarcOrelius wrote:Hey Nikita,

Thanks for the great tips.
Hi Marc!

And good suggestions they are (Nikita, one of our founding "Dusters", has had many over the past almost 2 years!...geez, it's really been that long?!?).

I'll just add my own, since I did what you're suggesting with my stepdaughter's elementary school last year, during a summer program. With Dr. Bryan Mendez' assistance I put together a PPT presentation for elementary-age kids, and it was a huge success. Due to priorities at my work I was not able to do it again this year, but I'm hoping for a repeat performance this Spring. I offer the PPT for your use - just be aware that it is rather huge (contains 3 videos and many graphics), so I can either email it to you as an attachment (might be refused due to size...even if zipped), I can FTP it to a site that you know will accept public FTP material (send me the URL), or I can burn it to a CD and mail it to you. If interested you can let me know directly by posting a response to my personal mailbox (cthiker) - just click on the "PM" button below.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck with your presentation!!

Happy New Year to Everyone!!! :D
Jeff
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Jeffs presentation is a good one, you would do well to consider it.
From dust we come
MarcOrelius

Post by MarcOrelius »

Sounds great Jeff. It would probably be easiest to just post it to Slideshare, and that way you can pass it on to people once and for all. Just be aware that it's problematic for embedding on blogs afterwards, especially if you need to edit the page.

On a related note, what was the reaction like at the school? I'm sure people enjoyed it, but what did they do for followup, if any?
Last edited by MarcOrelius on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
cthiker

Post by cthiker »

Hi Marc -
Thanks for the suggestion, but Slideshare does not currently support imbedded video, and those are integral to the presentation. :( Open to other ideas, however!

Happy New Year to all!!
Jeff
"StarDust@Home II: The Sequel - Tracking Up Close and (somewhat more) Personal"...opening this August at a browser near you!
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi Marc,

Let me know what you are thinking of pursuing. I am willing to help out in any way I can (which could include helping you with text for a proposal to a local business, or just some info for the school's principle).

We also have a Stardust@home PPT on the website that you could use, plus links to lots of fun activities related to the Stardust mission.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
MarcOrelius

Post by MarcOrelius »

Hey Bryan,

Thanks for your generous offer. For now I'm going to keep reading and educating myself/others interested in the project. If/when we move forward to writing the proposal, you'll certainly hear from me.

Cheers
Marc
Spica

Re: Steps to bring S@Home to a class

Post by Spica »

All teachers,
I am interested in the responses that your students have had when searching for stardust in your classrooms? Does anyone have an interesting story to share?Thanks,
Vance High (aka spica)
Please contact me at vancehigh@gmail.com
or vhigh@mail.wvu.edu