How long stardust volunteers have to wait for veryfication?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

barbara83

How long stardust volunteers have to wait for veryfication?

Post by barbara83 »

Hello everybody :)
I'm new here, and I admitt that i haven't read all forum topics, although I've read a lot of it. But I haven't found full answer for my question so I will ask myself :)
I'm wondering how long do I need to wait for veryfication if I did found or didn't found an instellar dust particle or something else? :) It's not that i'm impatient, it's just curiosity :) Is it weeks, months or years? I'm sure that here are many more advanced stardust searchers, who know that :) Thanks for any replies ;)
fjgiie
DustMod

Re: How long stardust volunteers have to wait for veryfication?

Post by fjgiie »

barbara83 wrote:Hello everybody :)
I'm new here, and I admitt that i haven't read all forum topics, although I've read a lot of it. But I haven't found full answer for my question so I will ask myself :)
I'm wondering how long do I need to wait for veryfication if I did found or didn't found an instellar dust particle or something else? :) It's not that i'm impatient, it's just curiosity :) Is it weeks, months or years? I'm sure that here are many more advanced stardust searchers, who know that :) Thanks for any replies ;)
The Stardust spacecraft was launched 7 Feb 1999, and returned to earth 15 Jan 2006. We have been searching for tracks since 1 Aug 2006 I believe. It's now almost August 2009 so we have been waiting either 10 and 1/2 years or 3 years according to who you are.

To answer your question then it would be closer to years and possibly a little more before we get verification that the track you found is a real interstellar track caused by dust from distant stars.

_______fjgiie