Hurricane Ike

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

Hurricane Ike

Post by jsmaje »

What's the latest news from JPL Houston? Has much damage been done by Hurricane Ike, and how are the personnel, not to mention the SD collector?

The power, and disregard, of nature is awesome. My sympathies go out to those affected. Though I live in a country with (apparently) the most tornados per unit area, and hundreds of earthquakes per year, i.e. the UK, they are generally mild enough not to cause much of a problem.

Particularly scary about the power of nature, I recently found via the CERN LHC site that, according to Einstein's E=mc2, a single sheet of A4 paper if converted into pure energy contains 5 times that of the Hiroshima bomb, so be careful when shredding!

Seriously though, I hope everyone's OK.
John
bathulo

Post by bathulo »

Man, I've been watching it on the news and it's really bad. Some parts look as bad as after Katrina.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Would you believe that Ike even came through Indiana and tore us up! It knocked our power out and looked like a tornado hit us! It was one powerful little puppy! We're fine, just thankful all we got was knocked around a bitand minor damage.
From dust we come
elainekeefe

Re: Hurricane Ike

Post by elainekeefe »

jsmaje wrote:What's the latest news from JPL Houston? Has much damage been done by Hurricane Ike, and how are the personnel, not to mention the SD collector?
Found this online; small bit of information. Have been wondering myself how they weathered the storm.

http://www.khou.com/business/stories/kh ... 324fd.html
starrynight

Post by starrynight »

Ike's sheer size was absolutely amazing. I think I remember one report saying that at one time it was nearly 400 miles wide. I couldn't imagine being in the path of such a monster hurricane.
StarryNight @ Stardust Home.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi All,

I have a small update on this. It seems that luckily Ike did not cause any significant damage or flooding at JSC, and the SD collectors are just fine.

However, operations at JSC remain slowed down because many of the personnel have had to deal with damage done to their homes, etc.

Our thoughts go out to everyone affected by this powerful storm.

Thanks,
-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
jsmaje

JSC Update

Post by jsmaje »

Thanks for the latest reassuring Update about Ike.

"I will be going to Houston next week..." says "Stardust at Home Blogger".

Great, but which anonymous "I" on the team might that be? I'm finding it difficult keeping a mental picture of who's who, doing what, when and why, amongst the team, and suggest it could help maintain volunteer interest in the project if we could more readily put names, job designations and perhaps faces together.
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

jsmaje wrote:Great, but which anonymous "I" on the team might that be?
John, that's Stardust himself I think.

fjgiie
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

fjgiie wrote:John, that's Stardust himself I think. fjgiie
Sorry, I don't understand - who's that then, or have I missed the joke? :?
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Andrew Westphal, Project Director

fjgiie
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Oh right, but can I suggest all team bloggers tell us which one they are by name, Project Director or not? :wink:

To be honest, I've never quite seen the point of the Blog. To my mind, it has added nothing (other than looking prettier) to the equivalent forum Updates section, which had been of regular value since the beginning, though sadly last contributed to by Will way back in July.

John
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

jsmaje wrote:Oh right, but can I suggest all team bloggers tell us which one they are by name, Project Director or not? :wink:

To be honest, I've never quite seen the point of the Blog. To my mind, it has added nothing (other than looking prettier) to the equivalent forum Updates section, which had been of regular value since the beginning, though sadly last contributed to by Will way back in July.

John
Good point.

The blogs don't always come from Andrew. The one about Ike did. Sorry we forgot to have him sign it.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH