Download/upload speed

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

laserphil

Download/upload speed

Post by laserphil »

Having recently increased my dsl speed I was wondering if there is any speed restrictions in place on the stardust servers? The problem is that I am still only able to download VM movies at a rate of 2 per minute despite doubling the connection speed. My system memory is only 60% in use and the processor runs at between 30% and 50% so I don't think it is at my PC.
Any help/suggestions please?

Laserphil
gregson

Slow Connection

Post by gregson »

Every time I've been in Oz, the connect speed back to the US has been slow (probably because the ocean's water pressure squeezing the ether a bit too much).

Nevertheless, I find that I consistently get good connect speeds at around 14:00 GMT.
John
jsmaje

Re: Slow Connection

Post by jsmaje »

gregson wrote:I find that I consistently get good connect speeds at around 14:00 GMT.
That's because most of Europe is out having a boozy lunch or having a siesta, while most of America has yet to digest its breakfast, and the Eastern rim have already packed off to the sushi/geisha bars.
Just a theory!
John
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

laserphil,

There aren't any restrictions on our server that I am aware of.

Internet speed depends on so many things, it's hard to say where the bottleneck is. Your machine and our machine are only the endpoints of the connection.

Alas.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH