Interstellar travel

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

When will we have interstellar technology?

-50 years.
6%
50-100 years.
25%
100-150 years.
13%
150-200 years.
19%
200-250 years.
No votes
250+ years.
25%
We will never attain it.
13%

Total votes: 16

Koranzite

Interstellar travel

Post by Koranzite »

How long do you think it will be before we have the technology to travel between star systems relativly quickly?
fjgiie
DustMod

What means relatively quickly?

Post by fjgiie »

Would 840 years one way be considered relatively quickly? It may be a very long time before the dominate life form on this planet will ever travel 400 light years quicker than that.

The best way to travel may also be the way we do it right now. Hold on to our oxygen supply we have and just keep scooting along at 217 km/s orbital speed and 550 km/s galactic velocity towards the Virgo cluster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way#Sun.27s_location

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way#Velocity

My vote is next to never. :)
Koranzite

100-150.

Post by Koranzite »

My vote goes for 100-150 years because it it suprising how quick new developments are made, but I doubt that we will see it in our own lifetime. :(
Koranzite

Relativly quickly.

Post by Koranzite »

By relativly quickly I mean about a 10 year journey between here and proxima centauri.
star2steerby

When will we have interstellar technology?

Post by star2steerby »

Well, technically we already have it, which is, I assume why minus 50 yrs is a choice on the poll and why I chose it - as soon as we began manipulating EMS - electricity, radio, television - we began broadcasting to the stars however inefficient and "slow". If we mean how soon will we attempt interstellar flight, then the Voyager missions officially inaugurated interstellar robotic flight in the 1970's. If we mean how soon will humans attempt the first manned flight to the nearest stars, then it will be when the expenditure of such an expedition is justified by a sufficiently compelling reason, such as in the unlikely but not impossible event of intelligent greetings from one or more of our nearest neighbors. Otherwise, enhanced telescopic observations and robotic missions will be the vastly cheaper and more efficient means of interstellar exploration until if and when new discoveries about the laws of nature and the means to manipulate them allow us to reach and exceed the cosmic speed limit of 186,000mi/sec....or until we are visited first (cue Theramin...).
Personally, as much as I want to go out there, I think we have much work yet to do here on Earth before we can justify an all out expenditure of time and resources for a fleet of manned starships...darnit!
Everything reminds me of everything else