"There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Crumplestiltskin

Cm's That Won't Focus Up or Down [frozen frames]

Post by Crumplestiltskin »

Movie id: 5220547V1
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1

I clicked 'Bad Focus' to be 'safe'. _Crumplestiltskin
SPACE IS THE PLACE !
fjgiie
DustMod

Calibration Movie 1975700V1

Post by fjgiie »

About 1975700V1

It seems to me the track is getting weaker and weaker. On the version I just recently saw
it was not visible at all. You had to click where it used to be 144, 61. :)

____________Thanks,

____________ fjgiie
Crumplestiltskin

Two More Cm's That Won't Focus Up or Down [frozen frames]

Post by Crumplestiltskin »

Movie id: 2925115V1
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e=2368654V

1&ondeck_movie=2925115V1&no_record=0&key=f9643d0d&code=&coords=?-1,-1
Problem movie (CM) _ can't focus up or down [frozen]

------------------------------------

Movie id: 8407570V1
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e=1747149V

1&ondeck_movie=8407570V1&no_record=0&key=fd6bbd78&code=&coords=?-1,-1
13 Sept 12:45 PM PDT *** (prev. posted 06 Sept. 1:59 PM PDT )

Thought you'd like to know. _Crumplestiltskin
SPACE IS THE PLACE !
jsmaje

Re: Calibration Movie 1975700V1

Post by jsmaje »

fjgiie wrote:.
About 1975700V1
It seems to me the track is getting weaker and weaker. On the version I just recently saw it was not visible at all. You had to click where it used to be 144, 61.
Fjgiie - do you mean that you've seen this one before and that it was larger then?
Elainekeefe and ejenkins certainly had problems with it due to the more prominent inclusion at approx. 159/200 (elaine also mentions the surface feature at 367/272).

Whatever, I can still see it there, at your coords, being observable for at least two thirds of the focus bars and surrounded by a faint give-away pasting-box, particularly evident toward the end. At least Bryan admits that it is "really, really tiny"!

They're definitely testing us here. Obviously their estimates as to the number and/or size of interstellar dust particles have now been downgraded. I wonder what other space theorists make of this. I'm also beginning to wonder if they can be sure that the aerogel collector did in fact properly deploy and orientate at the appropriate time. Does anyone have any references in these regards?

John
laserphil

Frozen focus movies

Post by laserphil »

To add to Crumplestiltskins list, 5220547V1 and 2825115V1 do not focus. I've seen the first of these twice now and it was the same effect both times.

Laserphil
yvart

Re: Movie 6536207V1

Post by yvart »

hugo wrote:Movie 6536207V1 has two little tracks in top left corner , but I´ve received a bad point for answered incorrectly ! Please dobble check calibration movie !

regards
The same for me with 8598558V1 !!! I answered the upper left track : bad choise. :lol:
In Dust we Trust ?
BruceHull

CM 323812V1

Post by BruceHull »

I was scored a miss when I clicked at 47,259 on CM 323812V1.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e=323812V1
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

cthiker wrote:Here's a CM classified as having no track, but with an "inclusion" that is definitely borderline (IMHO) - have a look...(you need to be logged in to S@H to view):

Notice the spot that comes into view just above and to the left of center (below the apparent surface) and then seems to go out of focus - not the one to the left of it that never gets to "out-of-focus". I contend that this spot maintains some semblence of focus for several bars - maybe even a bit into the final bar. :? However, the Team concluded that it is an inclusion, so I was marked in error on that selection. :cry:

I'm not concerned over "dings" at this point (heck, my Sens/Spec numbers are still in the 90's), but I'd like to hear what the Team's view is on this particular case, since if that movie were to present again I'd probably respond in the same way I did initially. Simply a learning opportunity. :)

Thanks!!!

PS - I also noticed that the "hit" was delayed across the one VM that followed, which is, as Bryan has noted, a known but unresolved issue. Maybe this scenario can assist in that as well! :wink:

cthiker,

The movie you have linked to is a positive CM and the spot you no doubt are speaking of is the inserted track. I suspect that since you thought you saw a delay in the response that the next movie you saw was also a CM that you got wrong. You probably got this one right.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: Three [3] Cm's That Won't Focus Up or Down [frozen frame

Post by bmendez »

Crumplestiltskin wrote:Today I came across 3 CM's with the same problem:

*** 06 Sept. 11:00 AM PDT
Movie id: 863699V1

*** 06 Sept. 1:50 PM PDT
Movie id: 3612282V1

*** 06 Sept. 1:59 PM PDT
Movie id: 8407570V1

I clicked 'Bad Focus' to be 'safe'. _Crumplestiltskin

Thanks Crumplestiltskin,

'Bad Focus' is definitely what you should chose for movies like these. That alerts us that there is a problem with the movie and it should be removed from the database.

Thanks again,
-Bryan
- RUSH
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: Frozen focus movies

Post by bmendez »

laserphil wrote:To add to Crumplestiltskins list, 5220547V1 and 2825115V1 do not focus. I've seen the first of these twice now and it was the same effect both times.

Laserphil
Thanks everyone for reporting these.

All you really need to do to report them is click 'Bad Focus'. That automatically reports them.

-Bryan
- RUSH
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: CM 323812V1

Post by bmendez »

BruceHull wrote:I was scored a miss when I clicked at 47,259 on CM 323812V1.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e=323812V1
Hi Bruce,

You clicked on the right place and only one person in 210 to have viewed that movie has missed it. Since you didn't miss it I suspect that if you saw your score negatively change it was probably a miss that occured earlier but the score was delayed in updating. This is a known problem that we are hoping to figure out someday.

Thanks,
-Bryan
- RUSH
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Bryan, good to see some feedback again, and theteam blog is most welcome.
The more we know about what you're doing and the inevitable novel problems you're having to overcome, the more interesting and encouraging it is to participate in whatever little ways that we can.
I miss Zack G's input in that regard, which was quite regular until some months ago; has he left the team or become overwhelmed by other responsibilities?

Meanwhile, you didn't respond to my comments/queries above. To reformat:
(1) They're definitely testing us here. Obviously their estimates as to the number and/or size of interstellar dust particles have now been downgraded.
(2) I wonder what other space theorists make of this.
(3) I'm also beginning to wonder if they can be sure that the aerogel collector did in fact properly deploy and orientate at the appropriate time.
(4) Does anyone have any references in these regards?

Can you answer any of these points?
Thanks, John

P.S. I like the idea of a 'micropicklefork'. We've already found a sprinkling of micro/pico-tools on the aerogel - perhaps you could use some of them!
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi John,

I think the update that I just posted goes toward answering some of your questions.

But I'll try to answer what I can:

(1) Well no, we're not trying to test the dusters. That the candidates do not look like the simulated tracks isn't too shocking really. We don't know the exact size and shapes of these particles so it is really difficult to simulate what kind of tracks they would make. In a sense this goes to the heart of why we needed people looking for tracks rather than computers. People are more adaptable when things don't turn out quite as expected.

(2) We haven't published too much on the project yet, other than very preliminary reports, so there hasn't been much chance for the professional community to comment (though they could through the forum if they wanted to -- and no one is stopping them, hint hint).

(3) Yeah, we're pretty sure the collector deployed normally.

I'm glad you like the blog. I do too. It helps me out quite a bit, actually. I don't have to be so much of a filter.

Zack G is still around, in fact I'm supposed to be getting some of his latest photos of extraction tests at JSC online...sigh so much to do...
Alas, I believe Zack simply hasn't had the time lately to contribute as much.

But, through the blog you get to hear more from Andrew and Anna about some of the science behind the scenes. You'll also probably start to hear a bit from Robert and Will about the technical behind the scenes goings on.

Thanks,
-Bryan
- RUSH
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

bmendez wrote:Yeah, we're pretty sure the collector deployed normally.
Thanks for your generally helpful response to my queries, and sorry to be pedantic, but I can't say your phrase "pretty sure" fills me with absolute confidence.

Presumably data was sent from the spacecraft concerning the collector's deployment & orientation. If not, why not, but if so did this indicate that everything went exactly to plan, and is such data considered reliable? Has NASA made such information available (to you if not to the public)?

This isn't a trivial issue, since if you/we can't be sure the collector was correctly deployed (twice) the whole interstellar dust project could turn out to be a waste of everyone's effort.

[Edit (3 Nov) - see Bryan's interim response here]
BruceHull

CM 8978919V1

Post by BruceHull »

I did not click on anything in CM 8978919V1, but was marked as a miss.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8978919V1
Bruce