"I think I've found a track, what do you think?"

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DiamondGirl

Re: ...Options.........

Post by DiamondGirl »

Wow, GBell. Some really interesting stuff here! My thoughts:
1 and 3 (above) look so much like real tracks I'm surprised they aren't focus movies. My only reservations are, on 1, the additional shadowy shape just below what looks like the track - whenever there are more than one I think it's the focus of the scope rather than a real track - but I'd have clicked on this for sure! On 3, the fact that it's that bright white in the center makes me think something is reflective, which I know they said in training meant not a real track. But *everything* else about it seems indicative of a track.
2 seems least likely to me, and I would have selected bad focus, although I can see what would have made someone click on it with the way some things were fading out while others came to surface.
4 is similar to 2. Definitely would need an updated scan to say for sure. But with the way the new test movies have been going, I would be on the fence on this one. But I'd probably still stick to my guns and select Bad Focus on this one.
Good luck, though! I hope they turn out for you! :)
Roy Ezell

Post by Roy Ezell »

Hiya DiamondGirl,

Yea it is kind of hard to see and one part of it is on only one frame of the movie. it has two parts I think a opening and the main part?

Take your cursor and roll it up and down kind of fast in the mid part of the focus bar, you'll see the speck I'm talking about it does not move the same way as the other stuff on the surface,it looks a little grayer than the surrounding stuff not jet black like the other surface stuff.
And if you scroll down to the line on the same level as the 'n' in the word 'down' on the focus bar and go down one more line and back up a few times you will see a small dot shows itself just above the bigger gray one I was talking about,I'm of the mind this looks like a small opening on the surface going down to the larger gray one as it is only in one pic and then goes away in the next one.
If it's something it's small for sure at 50 micron pics,I wish the focus was clearer and little bit deeper to see some more but I guess this all we get to work with.
It could be nothing but it's worth hitting it with the higher mag scope to be sure.

Good luck DiamondGirl,I hope you find something!!

Roy Ezell 8)
"And That is why you fail!"
Yoda
Roy Ezell

Post by Roy Ezell »

I never know how to start these posts so here it is-

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8759803V1

1of 1

Seven bars from the bottom of the focus bar.
The object is at the top of the screen about in the middle,it looks like a small opening and a chamber for lack of a better word, going bottom left toward top middle in angle.

?

Roy Ezell 8)
Yoda
cthiker

Post by cthiker »

Roy Ezell wrote:...it looks like a small opening and a chamber for lack of a better word, going bottom left toward top middle in angle.
Hi Roy!

I see what you're talking about, but, as was the case with Phase 1, I tend not to click on things that go completely out of focus by the end of the VM. I'm kinda still holding to this even in Phase 2 (although the Stardust Team seems to think that tracks can be much more shallow than once thought).

The rationale for my thinking is that the time remaining in focus equals the depth of the object - the long you see some clarity, the deeper the object goes into the aerogel. Tracks, considering the speed of the particle, should not (IMHO) be only a few bars deep. Thus, if something continues down into the aerogel, I see it much less likely to be an inclusion.

Also, there have been many "lighted" objects, which have been described in the tutorial as a kind of aerogel clump (remember, glass and aerogel are very similar...the aerogel, among other things, is more finely dispersed, but has a very similar make-up). So, the "shiney" part could be the inside of a track, or could be the prism-like effect of a chunk of aerogel "glass" - certainly not easy to tell which.

Still, if you feel strongly about a particle, don't worry about others opinions - go ahead and click away!! If enough dusters feel like you do, then that VM will percolate up to the top and the Stardust Team will dig into it sooner rather than later. That's the nice piece of logic for this whole system...we're not so much helping to find track as we are helping to prioritize which candidates to look at. A truly remarkable system that should have the net effect of knocking years off the research timeline (as compared to doing this without our help)!

Anyway, hope you found that helpful -

Happy Dusting!!
"StarDust@Home II: The Sequel - Tracking Up Close and (somewhat more) Personal"...opening this August at a browser near you!
Roy Ezell

Post by Roy Ezell »

Hiya cthiker,
I tend to click on anything that looks strange.

Here is a cool shot across the bow I just came across, :lol:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =6634692V1

2 hits so far.

I wonder who found this one first, it's a nice one.

Roy Ezell 8)
Yoda
GravityGuy

Post by GravityGuy »

After 137 real movies, I finally think I may have come across what appears to be a 'real' track. I have clicked on a few things that look interesting before but this is the first that I believe to be one. I actually thought it was a calibration movie when I first saw it but to my surprise, it wasn't. See what you think. It appears just before the bottom of the focal range but is most apparent at the very bottom. It is at the top of the slide about 3/4 along to the right:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =1880204V1

Mikey
cthiker

Post by cthiker »

Roy Ezell wrote:Here is a cool shot across the bow I just came across, :lol:
Hi Roy!
Yup, definitely looks like a HAT (High Angle Track)! Great catch...too bad you weren't #1 :( !!

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, "strange" = "clickable"! :) Good luck!

Happy Dusting!
"StarDust@Home II: The Sequel - Tracking Up Close and (somewhat more) Personal"...opening this August at a browser near you!
OgTheClever

Post by OgTheClever »

Of all the possible tracks that i've clicked on, i think this one looks the most interesting: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =6266662V1
It can be seen on the top right of the screen and looks quite convincing if you change the focus quite quickly. Please tell me what you think about it because I was the first person to view this movie and click on it.

P.S. there are a scary number of six's in the movie name so it might be a devil track!!! :twisted:
Roy Ezell

Post by Roy Ezell »

Hiya GravityGuy,

Looks like a good one to click on,To bad the focus stops early.

Hiya OgTheClever,
That one looks cool for two reasons,First the area you talk about has some items that need checking,But did you notice the streak going toward the area you marked?Down at the bottom, right above the big dark spot there are two items maybe 3 that also look good and if you ask me they are part of the ones you talked about,they look like the starting spot for the streak that goes right toward your other find,This could be a high angle/low angle hit to the collector.
If you look at the area where the streak ends the gel has a crack and this could have changed the way the items moved in the gel so the items could be going down to the right like you see in the ones you talked about.
I hope this turns out to be a good hit,If it is, it could hold alot of items to harvest.
Good luck!!!

Roy Ezell 8)
Yoda
OgTheClever

Post by OgTheClever »

Thanks for your reply Roy, it is much appreciated. When I first clicked on the top right possibility in the VM I did think some other features looked interesting, yet were very unlikely tracks. The fact that you mentioned the long streak could have been deflected by a crack is very interesting and the angle diverting it into the main track is pretty believable as well. Lets just hope that this movie gets reviewed by the science team at some point. :wink:
Last edited by OgTheClever on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maybe I am the one you seek for salvation
Roy Ezell

Post by Roy Ezell »

Hiya OgTheClever,
Yea, being thats at the end of the hit and the amount of gel it went though it would have lost alot of energy and it could have been push off course a little do to the gel fault line and followed the easy path.

I've seen bullets go off center when shot into gel for tests,it happens from time to time.

I just tagged this one first this round,Nice low/high angle shot,going left to right toward the right hand top corner,it looks like there is a small speck in the pathway also if you scroll down the focus bar you can see it come out,this one I think is the start end of the hit and the path is real clear all the way to the bigger chamber end.( I use the word 'chamber' for lack of a better word)
That means two hits for the price of one. :!: :lol:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8123120V1

Hiya Stardust Team, is this the damage in the gel from the hit on the solar panel<I think I remember reading it somewhere on the forums here about a hit on the solar cells.?

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... d=285964V1

Roy Ezell 8)
Yoda
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

_____5600739V1
DiamondGirl

Post by DiamondGirl »

Roy Ezell wrote:I just tagged this one first this round,Nice low/high angle shot,going left to right toward the right hand top corner,it looks like there is a small speck in the pathway also if you scroll down the focus bar you can see it come out,this one I think is the start end of the hit and the path is real clear all the way to the bigger chamber end.( I use the word 'chamber' for lack of a better word)
That means two hits for the price of one. :!: :lol:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8123120V1
Nice one, Roy!
Do you know if you were the first on this one?

--DG
Roy Ezell

Post by Roy Ezell »

It said it I was first on the myevents page but this is for the most part the second round of looks at this stuff.
I'm sure someone tagged this one the first round it stands out,but I think if any more are found in this 2nd round in these tiles they will be kind of small,But who knows anything can happen I guess.

I'm just having fun looking and learning all the time.

Have fun!

Roy Ezell 8)
Yoda
marcia

Post by marcia »

I'm not convinced these are tracks, but aren't they strange holes?

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =9834896V1