"I think I've found a track, what do you think?"

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Titanium

Post by Titanium »

Okay, let me know what you think of this.
Movie 5430412V1

Top center. Thought it might be an inclusion, but you can see a reflection from it high up, looks like some depth, and there is a tiny tiny "satellite" on the 15th slide from the bottom. Just curious what you all think. I still think it probably is an inclusion.
A journey of 1000 miles begin with just one step.
padde

Post by padde »

Hmm...at the first look I thought it's only an inclusion. But now after secound look I also think that this "shadow" which is walking to the "inclusion" could be its track.

If you don't mind maybe you can say what you think of that:

7366921V1

Right center. It's quite similar to your movie, but the difference is that it's not that dark than yours and so the track (if it is one) is far more obvious.
DiamondGirl

I think I found one - low angled track

Post by DiamondGirl »

Oh gosh, I'm flipping out. I think I really found one. It looks like a low angled track (moves left to right). I'm not sure how to hyperlink it, but here's the slide number: 2574341V1

I clicked it, and checked, and it only has a count of 1, so I think I'm actually the first one to click on it. The only thing I don't know is if a score of 1 really means I'm the first, or if they are reposting any that might have been a maybe from the Phase 1. :shock:

OOOHhh, cross fingers, cross fingers.

Please, let me know what you all think. Does this look valid?

--DGirl
stardust1

Re: I think I found one - low angled track

Post by stardust1 »

DiamondGirl wrote:Oh gosh, I'm flipping out. I think I really found one. It looks like a low angled track (moves left to right). I'm not sure how to hyperlink it, but here's the slide number: 2574341V1

I clicked it, and checked, and it only has a count of 1, so I think I'm actually the first one to click on it. The only thing I don't know is if a score of 1 really means I'm the first, or if they are reposting any that might have been a maybe from the Phase 1. :shock:

OOOHhh, cross fingers, cross fingers.

Please, let me know what you all think. Does this look valid?

--DGirl
2574341V1
I'd say looks very much like a high-angle track (former low angle track).
Congrats! :D

[Edit] I forgot to answer the second part of your question. Any movie in my phase 2 events (not too many so far) started with 1/1. So I guess the old movie status was reset. Since we are going through magnifications of phase I movies ... But there are also rescanned tiles which had been "bad focus" first.
So You are at least the first rediscoverer.
[/edit]
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)
DiamondGirl

Post by DiamondGirl »

Oooh, I'm so excited! Thanks so much for taking a peek. It's great to know someone else agrees on thinking it's a valid track! :D

I have a question in on the FAQ area to see if the moderators can explain more about how a "find it first" might work for Phase 2, just in case. Won't do me any good to start thinking up names if I don't get the first find credit.

Here's hoping!

--DiamondGirl
DiamondGirl

Track or no track?

Post by DiamondGirl »

That is the question. :)

Here's another one I've found - what do you think? It doesn't have some of the characteristics of others, but it happens so deep (long after the rest have faded out) that I had to click on it. ???

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8853509V1

Forgive me if I like that wrong - this is my first try at it. :)

And a question for the moderators: If I do find a track, and assuming I'm the first person to find it, how accurate do I have to be in order to be able to retain credit for a "first find?" For example, if it's an angled track and slides from one side to the other, do I have to pinpoint within a specific distance where the particle ended up to get credit, or would being the first person to click on any portion of the track be good enough?

Signed,
Diamond Girl - loving Phase 2
fjgiie
DustMod

Tutorial #14

Post by fjgiie »

Hi DiamondGirl,

Where to click on an old low angle track/new high angle track Tutorial #14

8853509V1 My guess is an inclusion. Something clearly appearing that late makes me think that. There is no track leading down to it. How did it come out of the sky? Must have been made into the aerogel here on earth.
DiamondGirl

Post by DiamondGirl »

Thanks, fjgiie. I kind of figured the same on that one, but had to click it to be safe. :)

Regarding the tutorial, it is sometimes more difficult to see where the trail really "ends" or is at the deepest level on those angled tracks. With the one that I'm hoping is a true find...

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =2574341V1

...There seems to be a backsplash point. I don't know if the middle or far right is the real "end." So what I'm wondering is, does the original rule apply that if I clicked anywhere on the track, and if there ends up being an actual particle at the end, that's good enough to be named the one who found it? Or do I have to be within a certain distance of the particle itself, as with the callibration movies?

I'm hoping it's the former and not the latter, because I truly couldn't determine where would be the best to click on the this one, but it really seems possible this is an actual track.

Thanks again for so patiently answering all our questions! :)

--DiamondGirl
the moon

Post by the moon »

Hate to be the bearer of bad news DiamondGirl, but it looks like aj_ajay_7 beat you to it.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... fied%20yet
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

DiamondGirl - I agree the first one is a winner, but it looks like the moon is right... :cry: I agree with fjgiie that 8853509V1 is probably an inclusion.

padde - I would have clicked it for sure. It's worth a second look by the team imho.

Just curious if anyone has any opinion about mine. Probably an inclusion, but I am still curious. 5430412V1
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

I think I might have something :shock: : 867179V1

I think it's a high angle track on the right center. What do you all think?

I clicked where it ended (not the big hole, but up by the scratch). Is that what I am supposed to do? fjgiie, is there any way to find out if someone else has already clicked on that opening (ie, am I really the first?)?
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Titanium wrote:I think I might have something :shock: : 867179V1

I think it's a high angle track on the right center. What do you all think?

I clicked where it ended (not the big hole, but up by the scratch). Is that what I am supposed to do? fjgiie, is there any way to find out if someone else has already clicked on that opening (ie, am I really the first?)?
Hi Titanium,

It is difficult for me to say that 867179V1 is a high angle track. It could be I guess. If you clicked at the top end of it, that is probably the lowest point.

The only thing you and I can do as far as checking if you are the first to click is this: If we find it in the list of h a tracks then we could say someone else was first. If we don't find it there that does not help much because I believe there are many tracks of all kinds that have not been looked at yet. I did not see your "possible" in that list.

To check the list you must be familiar with the way the 50 micron movies were divided up from the 100 micron movies. A good explanation was posted in Wierd movie. Down at the bottom is a diagram by jsmaje that is very good. You can see that all the lens specks are on the right side and have names. Your movie comes from the left side, no lens specks.
the moon

Post by the moon »

Yeah phase II is kind of depressing because all the movies we're seeing now have already been viewed hundreds of times. Even if you find something hard to see in a high mag movie, it's a good bet that at least one person clicked it in the low mag version.
DiamondGirl

Post by DiamondGirl »

Titanium wrote:Just curious if anyone has any opinion about mine. Probably an inclusion, but I am still curious. 5430412V1
I think this one has potential, T. True, it splashes out at lowest level, but it does appear to have some movement, and it's not like some inclusions where they just appear without any track at all. I'd say it's a 50/50. :)

--DGirl
DiamondGirl

Post by DiamondGirl »

the moon wrote:Yeah phase II is kind of depressing because all the movies we're seeing now have already been viewed hundreds of times. Even if you find something hard to see in a high mag movie, it's a good bet that at least one person clicked it in the low mag version.
I'd have to agree. It's one thing to see immediately that 300 people have already clicked, but to be the first, only to find it was part of Phase 1, well that's really depressing. There has to be some way to indicate if your find is a new scan or a rescan. At least then we'd have an idea that our "find" is probably not a find at all. That, or giving us some type of credit for sticking with the project and being the first to identify it in Phase 2.

--DGirl
Not as thrilled with Phase 2 as she was yesterday